Islam vs Olivera

Sure he has a chance, just not a very good one
I do think he will at least stun Islam, but I think Islam will finish him again, maybe even earlier

Islam is the safer bet in this fight. His striking game is going to be even better after the Volk fight

He also said he wasn't going to fight in October and you believed him lol. Charles flat out admitted that he is "playing the game" in media, yet people still take everything he says at face value.

I've seen enough from his coaches that suggests they will come in with a different game plan.

Charles and his team are convinced that he just had an off night, he's been consistent about that since he lost his belt. I don't think that's just a giant ruse they're pulling. If he really believes that he just had an off night then it probably means they won't make any huge adjustments.

Charles and his team are convinced that he just had an off night, he's been consistent about that since he lost his belt. I don't think it's a giant ruse they're pulling. If he really believes that he just had an off night then it probably means they won't make any huge adjustments.

They've also said they took things from the volkanovski fight, which suggests a change. It is possible to think they had an off night and still add or take from the gameplan. They aren't going to write you a blueprint about what they're doing behind closed doors lol.

Last edited:
He actually had some defense in his last fight, hopefully he's improved

#2 Islam fan here.
I am actually terrified of this fight.
Even though Islam looked so good last fight, it's too hard to imagine Charles giving that same effort/performance this time.
Rooting for Islam with all my heart, but I am NOT expecting the same fight.
<DCrying>

I’m kind of surprised at how many people are writing Oliveira off. The guys career has been built on coming back from adversity and proving people wrong when they’ve doubted him. I favour Islam in this fight but Charles isn’t an easy fight for anyone and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he pulls it off.

They've also said they took things from the volkanovski fight, which suggests a change. It is possible to think they had an off night and still add or take from the gameplan. They aren't going to write you a blue print about what they're doing behind closed doors lol.
I'm sure there are a few things they're tweaking, but he will need an overhaul of the entire game plan to beat Islam, small adjustments won't do imo. We'll see, i'm skeptical they'll change a whole lot.

I’m kind of surprised at how many people are writing Oliveira off. The guys career has been built on coming back from adversity and proving people wrong when they’ve doubted him. I favour Islam in this fight but Charles isn’t an easy fight for anyone and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he pulls it off.
I think it will be a tougher fight for Islam, but the doubt people have in Charles is warranted imo. One of the reasons people are more doubtful of Charles' chances is because the one area that he had a clear advantage (striking) is not seen as a huge advantage anymore after Islam's striking performance against Volk.

Olivera has all the offensive tools to stop any opponent anywhere. Generally he has the toughness to survive bad situations well (although not in the first islam fight).

What he lacks is defense. I worry that in this rematch he may lack confidence as well.

I wouldn't bet on him, but I wouldn't rule him out. I'll be cheering for him because he's about as fun a fighter as we've ever seen.

I'm sure there are a few things they're tweaking, but he will need an overhaul of the entire game plan to beat Islam, small adjustments won't do imo. We'll see, i'm skeptical they'll change a whole lot.

I don't know. People are acting like because he lost he should change every single thing from gameplan, to travel plans, to training partners etc etc. I think people are over correcting. He needs changes of course, but he doesn't need to change everything that got him to the show in my opinion. A change of strategy is enough for me, and I've seen his coach say that they have a plan. If he loses, he loses. So be it. they will have done what they think is best for preparation, and still lost. That is the sport.

I don't know. People are acting like because he lost he should change every single thing from gameplan, to travel plans, to training partners etc etc. I think people are over correcting. He needs changes of course, but he doesn't need to change everything that got him to the show in my opinion. A change of strategy is enough for me, and I've seen his coach say that they have a plan. If he loses, he loses. So be it. they will have done what they think is best for preparation, and still lost. That is the sport.
I don't think he needs to change everything, but his game plan needs to be drastically different, it can't just be a tweak. I'm not saying Charles shouldn't be himself, he can bring the same skills & attributes that brought him to the dance but he has to apply them very differently imo. Guys like Volk, Islam, Khabib, Jon Jones, GSP etc. adjust radically to their opponents, they allow the opponent to dictate how they apply their skills. Charles comes out the same every single time.

I don't think he needs to change everything, but his game plan needs to be drastically different, it can't just be a tweak. I'm not saying Charles shouldn't be himself, he can bring the same skills & attributes that brought him to the dance but he has to apply them very differently imo. Guys like Volk, Islam, Khabib, Jon Jones, GSP etc. adjust radically to their opponents, they allow the opponent to dictate how they apply their skills. Charles comes out the same every single time.

Charles will never be a guy like GSP or Volk though, and trying to change him into something like that, especially at this point in his career, might have more negative impact on his game than positive. It is better for him to stay true to himself and just try to improve on what makes him HIM. He has a vast enough skillset where a change in tactics could make all the difference in my opinion, and his coach has said that they are making adaptations to their gameplan. This is far more realistic than asking a guy who is 40 fights deep in his career to make radical changes. Whether it will be enough or not is a different story, but they are doing what they believe is their best shot to win. Same way any other fight is doing what they believe is the best for themselves.

Last edited:
Anyone giving Charles a chance..

He looked very well rounded until he faught him the first time his striking iq looked terrible whent in for that telegraphed knee and got dropped text book

Is islam too well rounded for him. Islams striking is actually good I hate to say it.

I think olivera coulda beaten khabib but I believe from watching his fights islam is a way better striker.

Hope he can pull it off but I see him over working again. Trying to keep his pressure up.
It's a fight. You can put a potbellied, beer-swilling 5-foot Asian man like me in there and you can never really say I have no shot.
Islam might just tap out of the sheer stank ... of Dirty Frank.

Wait, that rhymed.

Islam is giving the best finisher in the sport two chances to catch him. It is risky and It would be silly to count charles out. Obviously islam is the favorite though.

Of course he has a chance, he’s one of the most gifted offensive fighters that’s dangerous everywhere. The question will be if he can employ his offensive skills smartly against a cautious and gameplan oriented opponent. An opponent that is very good at capitalizing on mistakes, of which Oliveira makes a lot of defensively in his aggressive pursuits. If he tries to come out with his typical guns blazing style, there’s a small chance he catches him but more likely it goes much the same way.

#2 Islam fan here.
I am actually terrified of this fight.
Even though Islam looked so good last fight, it's too hard to imagine Charles giving that same effort/performance this time.
Rooting for Islam with all my heart, but I am NOT expecting the same fight.
<DCrying>

Im with you sir.
It's definitely going to be a different fight, but if Islam fights smart, and stays defensive I think he'll find an opening.

Whether that opening comes early or late is another story.
He has to stay tight, because Charles can find his opening too.

I think Charles is gonna try to play the long game here tbh.

Last edited:
I hope Olivera gets subbed the same round and same time the 2nd time so people realize how good Islam is and to stop overlooking his standup or ground game. Too many here are sort of implying Islam got lucky.

I hope Olivera gets subbed the same round and same time the 2nd time so people realize how good Islam is and to stop overlooking his standup or ground game. Too many here are sort of implying Islam got lucky.

Really? I haven't seen anyone suggest that. Islam out smarted charles through and through.

Last edited:
Charles will never be a guy like GSP or Volk though, and trying to change him into something like that, especially at this point in his career, might have more negative impact on his game than positive. It is better for him to stay true to himself and just try to improve on what makes him HIM. He has a vast enough skillset where a change in tactics could make all the difference in my opinion, and his coach has said that they are making adaptations to their gameplan. This is far more realistic than asking a guy who is 40 fights deep in his career to make radical changes. Whether it will be enough or not is a different story, but they are doing what they believe is their best shot to win. Same way any other fight is doing what they believe is the best for themselves.
I strongly disagree with the premise that Charles is too experienced to make significant changes. Volk and GSP don't have an inherent trait that makes them uniquely able to follow a tailored game plan. Charles is an experienced fighter, he can emulate what they do if he has the will to change. Justin Gaethje is someone who actually succeeded at doing this, Gaethje completely reformed himself from an all action "instinct" fighter (like charles) to a much more cerebral fighter that follows a plan.

Last edited:
Back