Islam vs Olivera

cburm

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone giving Charles a chance..

He looked very well rounded until he faught him the first time his striking iq looked terrible whent in for that telegraphed knee and got dropped text book

Is islam too well rounded for him. Islams striking is actually good I hate to say it.

I think olivera coulda beaten khabib but I believe from watching his fights islam is a way better striker.

Hope he can pull it off but I see him over working again. Trying to keep his pressure up.

Islam is rightfully the favorite but Charles can get it done in my opinion, he does not have the strength of Makhachev but his striking is better I believe and as long as he does not do anything stupid he's got a good chance of winning

Islam is rightfully the favorite but Charles certainly has a chance.

Olivera developed a world class kickboxing game, He was not able to show it in the last fight, and I don't know why... He was injured, or just flat that day... or Islam was so good at nutralizing him... for me that is the unknown ! If I have to bet my house, I'ill bet Islam... look like He figured Olivera out. But again, Olivera is whild ... 50/50 ... I can't wait

He looked very well rounded until he faught him the first time his striking iq looked terrible whent in for that telegraphed knee and got dropped text book

Is islam too well rounded for him. Islams striking is actually good I hate to say it.

I think olivera coulda beaten khabib but I believe from watching his fights islam is a way better striker.

Hope he can pull it off but I see him over working again. Trying to keep his pressure up.
Charles wasn't great last time against him, but he may do better this time. That's the fight game for ya'. Volk shown that Islam is human & can be beaten. Hope Charles has watched that fight a few times.

kill-predator.gif

I think the fight will go longer this time and Charles will put up a better fight but it will be the same outcome..

One thing Charles must not do is give up submissions so easily, its too easy to tap him, we've seen it many times in UFC. I don't doubt he is a great BJJ guy, but it just seems too easy to tap him, I can't imagine Werdum or Maia giving up submissions like that. This is vital and very important that Charles is not sloppy on the ground, because otherwise he will get tapped again.

Charles needs to use his striking a lot more, he has good knees and kicks to the body. I think Islam will tap him again though, but I reckon it will go longer, late finish, maybe round 4 or 5 even.

Charles hits pretty hard and is usually accurate. No flying knees. Knees to the body or kicks to the body ok. Low kicks to the leg. Not gonna count him out. He's looked like a world beater against Dariush, Poirier, gaethje. And that sneaky hook he hit Chandler with.
He gets clipped sometimes, though and that gets him submitted.

Charles will start strong but as soon as he meets resistance he will crumble

One thing I think many--myself included prior to rewatch--are overlooking is a few exchanges where both fighters missed punches by less than an inch.

Both guys are kind of chinny. If Charles went out and fought the exact same way--there's still a 20-30% chance of tko or club and sub.

If Charles tightens things up, more body attacks, initiates clinching less, closes distance with a jab--it's almost a pick em' fight!

If charles fight like he did last time. he got a big chance of winning.

Charles should just fight smart and the result won't be the same.

Islam by sub, again.

Charles got mauled last time around and didn't really have any notable moments.

Both have definetily a change.
There is now a lot more tape to study and gameplan for Charles his Team and enough time between the fights for both teams to make adjustments.

Islam is rightfully the favorite but Charles can get it done in my opinion, he does not have the strength of Makhachev but his striking is better I believe and as long as he does not do anything stupid he's got a good chance of winning
His striking isnt better though. Its not really about him "doing anything stupid". Islam will pick him apart every day of the week on the feet. Charles is a brawler, he's not some technical wizard.

I think it's harder to beat someone in a rematch, so this will be a tricky one for Islam, but skill for skill Islam has the advantages over Charles. It's just a bad style matchup.

Both have definetily a change.
There is now a lot more tape to study and gameplan for Charles his Team and enough time between the fights for both teams to make adjustments.
Except Charles has explicitly said he won't make any adjustments. And i believe him. I think he's convinced himself that he was just "off".

One thing I think many--myself included prior to rewatch--are overlooking is a few exchanges where both fighters missed punches by less than an inch.

Both guys are kind of chinny. If Charles went out and fought the exact same way--there's still a 20-30% chance of tko or club and sub.

If Charles tightens things up, more body attacks, initiates clinching less, closes distance with a jab--it's almost a pick em' fight!
I think you're exaggerating how close Oliveira was getting to tagging Islam. Charles was mostly out of position and at the wrong range.

Except Charles has explicitly said he won't make any adjustments. And i believe him. I think he's convinced himself that he was just "off".

He also said he wasn't going to fight in October and you believed him lol. Charles flat out admitted that he is "playing the game" in media, yet people still take everything he says at face value.

I've seen enough from his coaches that suggests they will come in with a different game plan.

Back