Islam Makhachev > Usman Nurmagomedov?

markantony20

Cesar was never my friend.
@Brown
Reaction score
I saw quite a few people across the MMA space Sherdog, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram and so on proclaiming that Usman Nurmagomedov was a superior fighter to Islam Makhachev in the lead up to Bellator 300.

After the event I’m not convinced to be honest.

Usman is undoubtedly an incredibly talented fighter and has beautiful striking but personally I believe that Islam is the better fighter.

Islam doesn’t get enough credit for his striking he has very good boxing and of course his wrestling and submissions are world class.

What do you guys think though?

Islam is better, and more exciting, which isn't saying much. Both of them are very risk adverse fighters, but both are good.
How do you think they would match up? I know that’s a big fantasy matchup.

In my opinion it goes like this

Khabib
Islam

Umar
Usman

Abubakar

Usman is much closer to Umar than Islam. Islam is definitely closer to Khabib. All of them are ridiculously good tho

Islam's striking is criminally underrated because it's not flashy but it's elite. Usman definitely did not look to be on Islam's level for this fight.
I agree he’s not flashy but he’s got good fundamentals and the threat of his takedowns always keep the opponent guessing.

For a 25 year old his fighting IQ puts most UFC veterans to shame. He is risk averse but has quite the skill set and I think he will grow on the job as time passes by. Seriously, his ceiling is very high imo.

Islam is a much better fighter from what I saw of Usman tonight. Primus would have been out of there in the 1st round if he had fought Islam fucking Mackhachev.
I’m inclined to agree I think Islam would have been able to take him out.

For a 25 year old his fighting IQ puts most UFC veterans to shame. He is risk averse but has quite the skill set and I think he will grow on the job as time passes by. Seriously, his ceiling is very high imo.
I see where you’re coming from hopefully you’re right and this will come to pass. :)

It's very interesting watching Usman and Umar. You can tell they were brought up together and have very similar styles. I hope Khabib and Islam help them add more to their ground games. They have a very good base already but there is a definite gap in terms of their subs and control

He’s far more polished at 25 than Khabib and Islam were at that age.

Remember, before Khabib hit his stride he was decisioning the likes of Iaquinta and Pat Healy. Usman obviously has talent, he just needs time to develop. He’s not even close to his prime yet.

The road will only get harder from here. Shabily (or Pitbull, but not likely) is going to give him his first real test.

He’s far more polished at 25 than Khabib and Islam were at that age.

Remember, before Khabib hit his stride he was decisioning the likes of Iaquinta and Pat Healy. Usman obviously has talent, he just needs time to develop. He’s not even close to his prime yet.

The road will only get harder from here. Shabily (or Pitbull, but not likely) is going to give him his first real test.

Yep, he's technically so gifted with a world class kicking game and distant management. His ground game is solid but both his and Umar's ground game will probably never come close to Khabib/Islam.

We are yet to see his chin tested and I think Shabily will be a real test if he wins. Given what we have seen you just know he's incredibly disciplined and a great student of the game. The path for greatness is there...let's see!

In my opinion it goes like this

Khabib
Islam

Umar
Usman

Abubakar

Usman is much closer to Umar than Islam. Islam is definitely closer to Khabib. All of them are ridiculously good tho
Abubakar shouldn't really be on the list w the rest,but he might be the most interesting. Funny guy,unintentionally at times,and always getting into scraps. I like him,but he is just adequate as a fighter compared to these other guys

Back