News Islam Makhachev moves to #2 P4P, Khamzat Chimaev debuts at #9 MW

I think this indicates the UFC may be having second thoughts about giving Chimaev the next title shot, surely he would've landed higher in the rankings if that's what they wanted. Hopefully DDP gets the next shot imo, they can re-book Costa vs Chimaev.
Yeah, this suggests that the UFC will give DDP the next title shot, albeit begrudgingly. Like you said, it looks like the UFC is having second thoughts about Khamzat. And with Izzy taking a break and Cannonier hurting his knee, DDP is the only viable contender coming off of a win.

thats the thing they never ever were legit. UFC didnt give a shite about P4P rankings until Fedor was #1 unanimously, then UFC went full wolf tickets and started telling everyone, well akshually, Anderson Silva is P4P #1. To me that started their whole phony brigade. It's always been BS, just like any rankings, it's all just literally opinion.
Your sig or AV (I don't know what to call that tagline below one's account name here in Sherdog) is actually correct, abuelo.
<GOT2>

I still don't think Islam should be in the top 5. 2 defenses and both against a guy way smaller. He's calling out dj for a fight now

Volkanovski was unbeaten for 9+ years before he fought Makhachev and had 4 title defenses just 1 division below lightweight, put some respect on his name. He wasn't just some "small guy".

I still don't think Islam should be in the top 5. 2 defenses and both against a guy way smaller. He's calling out dj for a fight now
He's on the longest winning streak in the UFC right now with back to back to back wins over #3 p4p #1 p4p and #2 p4p.

Name 5 active UFC fighters that should be ahead of him rn.

I think this indicates the UFC may be having second thoughts about giving Chimaev the next title shot, surely he would've landed higher in the rankings if that's what they wanted. Hopefully DDP gets the next shot imo, they can re-book Costa vs Chimaev.
That was my thought. People think 9 is undeserved but it's whatever. They should be happy they didn't do top 5 because that would indicate a title shot for squeeking past a WW (I give him much respect still given it's Usman.) I saw rebook Costa, give DDP the title shot like he should have gotten in the first place.

Jones has 1 win in past 3 years, and in his last 4 fights he arguably lost to Reyes and Santos, fought a stinker vs journeyman Smith.

Jones is the GOAT, but p4p is more of a 'how have you impressed me lately?' list. He shouldnt even be top 5 p4p

Jones has 1 win in past 3 years, and in his last 4 fights he arguably lost to Reyes and Santos, fought a stinker vs journeyman Smith.

Jones is the GOAT, but p4p is more of a 'how have you impressed me lately?' list. He shouldnt even be top 5 p4p

This is spot on. Is Jones one of the GOATs? Arguably yes. Is he the best fighter, normalising for weight, in the ufc at this point in his career? Probably not, but hard to disprove since it's all so subjective.

Islam has it now, imo. Volk is very close behind despite being knocked out.

The p4p rankings are just another marketing tool for the UFC. There'll always likely be some inherent fuckery in there if it suits them, and they can maintain credibility

A lot of people still don't understand the difference between current pound-for-pound rankings and the GOAT rankings.

<Prem973>

Jones shouldn't even be in the top 5 in the current PFP rankings. He literally has only one win in over 3 years against someone not even in the PFP rankings. Also, beating a semi-retired 41-year-old Miocic does nothing. That's even less of a win than Gane.

So the UFC says Borz gets the next TS. And then they only rank him at number 9?

This is fucking ridiculous if they give the number 9 MW the first crack at beating the new MW champion.

Perhaps they’ve reconsidered and will do the right thing and give Dricus what he’s earned. I have not heard more on Borz’ possible injury. Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Borz misses out because he is injured. Will everybody say he turned down the TS? Like they have done with Dricus.

This shitshow is going downhill at breakneck speed.

Back