Islam Makhachev is the best lightweight on the planet.

Yea, another great wrestler from Dagestan, whose style bores the crap out of me. However, he just beat a guy who wasn't ranked in the top 15. There is still hope that somebody will beat him before he wins a belt! He did look really dominate though.

sub’s guy who gets sub’ed by all the grapplers he faced. cherry picking match making

He looks very impressive to be sure, but he's going to have to knock off more than unranked Drew Dober for me to label him the uncrowned champ. I think he's definitely earned a Top 10 opponent, though. I'd like to see him get booked against someone with a proven ground game. The Oliveira fight excites the hell out of me, but IMO Top 5 and dude currently waiting for a title shot is too big of a jump. Instead Benny Dariush or rebooking the RDA bout sound like solid moves.

I'd consider Dan Hooker or Ferguson distant second choices.

I just want to see him fight more.
I actually really like the hooker idea. Agree that Charles should be taking a number 1 contender/title fight next so doesn’t make sense. But Hooker coming off that ko to chandler makes a lot of sense.

Would be Islam the favourite in the upcoming PFL lightweight 1 million tournament?

Shulte starts as favourite IMHO

Dariush vs Islam seems like a good test
Dariush also beat Dober and is on a win streak
Dariush deserve to fight someone ahead of him. Dariush and Islam should fight one of Hooker, Ferg or RDA.

Is it a rule that if a fighter is from Dagestan, Sherdog has to overrate them?
It’s not just Dagestan, people have a tendency to go nuts on praising the latest person at LW that had a good performance. Chandler, Oliveira, and Poirier were all crowned as LW champs in waiting by Sherdoggers after their impressive wins. Latest is greatest.

That said, Islam’s grappling will be really hard to deal with. The only guys that have some chance of surviving his ground game are Dariush and Oliveira. Even Chandler is fucked if he can’t stuff the takedowns.

he could be a nightmare to the ground for anybody in the division but his chin is bad, striking average
i feel like is like a usman fighter but with a bad chin and better technique

Dober is far from a nobody. I'd like to see Makhachev vs Tony next.

Tony is shot, he'd get dominated and probably finished on this ground this time against Islam. Although career wise, that would be a huge name.

A better challenge for Islam would be CDF or RDA. His style makes for more exciting fights against other grapplers.

It’s not just Dagestan, people have a tendency to go nuts on praising the latest person at LW that had a good performance. Chandler, Oliveira, and Poirier were all crowned as LW champs in waiting by Sherdoggers after their impressive wins. Latest is greatest.

That said, Islam’s grappling will be really hard to deal with. The only guys that have some chance of surviving his ground game are Dariush and Oliveira. Even Chandler is fucked if he can’t stuff the takedowns.

by survive, you mean not get finished? because i can't see dariush or oliveira actually beating islam on the mat. i mean if davi ramos couldn't do shit to him from the bottom, charles oliveira sure as hell isn't going to.

i'd love to see the tony fight, but i think ferguson would get owned pretty badly.

i think chandler would be a really tough fight for him, he's a beast physically and he's a very solid wrestler himself. i think he could make it very interesting. but if islam drags him to the mat and keeps him there, then i agree, he's screwed. islam has that same wrestler / sambo style that isn't focused just on taking down and controlling guys, but also passing guard really well and finishing with submissions from the strong positions they get. it's beautiful to watch, really.

People keep tossing out names for Islam to fight, and I just see him running through all of them. No one in the UFC currently seems to have an answer for that Sambo style of wrestling coming out of Russia.

Last edited:
Top 5 imo, he needs to prove that if he is actually the best.

He looks very impressive to be sure, but he's going to have to knock off more than unranked Drew Dober for me to label him the uncrowned champ. I think he's definitely earned a Top 10 opponent, though. I'd like to see him get booked against someone with a proven ground game. The Oliveira fight excites the hell out of me, but IMO Top 5 and dude currently waiting for a title shot is too big of a jump. Instead Benny Dariush or rebooking the RDA bout sound like solid moves.

I'd consider Dan Hooker or Ferguson distant second choices.

I just want to see him fight more.
Dober was a ranked LW until Chandler came to the rankings from Bellator by KOing Hooker and RDA entered the rankings from Welterweights after beating Felder.

So Dober being unranked is only on paper.

by survive, you mean not get finished? because i can't see dariush or oliveira actually beating islam on the mat. i mean if davi ramos couldn't do shit to him from the bottom, charles oliveira sure as hell isn't going to.

i'd love to see the tony fight, but i think ferguson would get owned pretty badly.

i think chandler would be a really tough fight for him, he's a beast physically and he's a very solid wrestler himself. i think he could make it very interesting. but if islam drags him to the mat and keeps him there, then i agree, he's screwed. islam has that same wrestler / sambo style that isn't focused just on taking down and controlling guys, but also passing guard really well and finishing with submissions from the strong positions they get. it's beautiful to watch, really.
Chandler falls off a cliff when you drain his tank. If Makachev is able to drag him down just one time imo the writing will be on the wall. Chandler has to be on point with his takedown defense.

I'm just hoping for a little more "smesh" next time. Great win though, Dober is solid

Glad to see Islam finally getting respect from some of the previous doubters (not referring to u TS but some of the people replying were previous doubters)

for people who dislike homosexuality so much there sure is alot of dickriding going on

He beat an unranked short kickboxer smh

Back