• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is your BJJ street relevant?

My style of not being a douche bag and never even being close to getting in a fight is perfect for the streets.
but what if you're out with your lady and somebody won't leave her alone or disrespects her in such a manner that you can't just ignore it or walk away? what if a man grabs or slaps her? would you avoid a fight?

Oh, and if someone punches you and you still are able to resist, and he continues punch, kick, grab, what you will do?
Thinking about morque? :)

BTW, mats in gym are walk in the park if compare with casual floor in offices. These floors in offices are safespace, if compared with pavement, for example.

I asked because I was training in Kyokushin Karate and I could see the application right away. I knew that I could knock the air out of someone or kick them out. I only felt vulnerable in case if someone dives for my legs and they are inches from the ground. Not much in my Kyokushin Karate background prepared me to handle that. Any wrestler or BJJ newbie could take me to the ground and My bare-knuckle karate training wouldnt get me out.

Then I started doing BJJ and as a blue belt I feel like I have filled a major hole in my game. I have some basic understanding of grappling and submissions but they would not be my GO-TO moves unless I am in very specific situations. The rest of what I am building up on seems to get more and more disconnected from realities of combat.

Would it all come together at black belt level? Or am I on a path to Braz-kwon-do?

I'd say your pretty much right on to becoming well rounded.
If u stick with the BJJ, you'll be primarily learning more intricate sport grappling which is why your finding it getting unrealistic and less relevant.

You have the basics of a ground game. If your aim is self defence and u have limited time to train I would strongly recommend you stop the BJJ and switch to Judo to get your throws and takedown defence up to level.
This is a far more fundamental and important skill set for self protection and makes your standup much more workable.

You can always keep training specific subs you want to work on and throw in some proper ground training with strikes from time to time.

To me, the bigger issue among trained people is situational awareness and mindset, whether you train with self-defense focus or a "sport" focus.

I reject the idea that sport players will automatically default to upside-down chaos theory mega hyper unicorn guard the second they face a difficult self-defense situation. The guy in my avatar is pretty much a perfect example of that.

I'm not convinced that the "self-defense inspired BJJ player" has much of an advantage over their "sport" counterpart, provided the sport player has some calmness, situational awareness, and a correct mindset.

Or if there is even a non-zero difference, it's so small when compared with other obvious factors like where you live, weapons, attitude/confidence, not being a drunk dick, etc...that it's not really worth worrying about.

but what if you're out with your lady and somebody won't leave her alone or disrespects her in such a manner that you can't just ignore it or walk away? what if a man grabs or slaps her? would you avoid a fight?

I would, take him down, control is arms and wait for someone to come and help me. Trying to knockout the guy would leave me open to counters, weird scrambles and other unwanted actions that can get me in trouble (getting hurt or being sued)

I'm better with BJJ than not having BJJ, but it's far from being bullet proof. Still, having rolled with a lot of big, strong, agressive beginers, I'm pretty sure that without being opposed to a knife or some lucky punch, there's a good chance that I would fuck up anyone with no fighting experience.

I'd say your pretty much right on to becoming well rounded.
If u stick with the BJJ, you'll be primarily learning more intricate sport grappling which is why your finding it getting unrealistic and less relevant.

You have the basics of a ground game. If your aim is self defence and u have limited time to train I would strongly recommend you stop the BJJ and switch to Judo to get your throws and takedown defence up to level.
This is a far more fundamental and important skill set for self protection and makes your standup much more workable.

You can always keep training specific subs you want to work on and throw in some proper ground training with strikes from time to time.
Most Judo clubs spend time on Ne Waza now.

My old club was maybe 15% with some cross training BJJ guys to fuck me up when we rolled.

I'm bummed that my new club is up to maybe 25% Ne Waza cause I don't have unlimited training time like I use to.

There's some reputable San Diego BJJ school PB and higher cross training and I can control the standup Randori or scramble out of trouble for 2 minutes easy. It's a little embarrassing that the first few classes I dusted off my WB and repeatedly took the chief instructors back, but after years of being mauled back east, I've suffered most of the tricks.

They all get a little wide eyed and tap like crazy when they throw in a Goshin class cause that's what my old lineage school excelled at. For "Da Streets" that's where the gold is. Padding up for MMA sparring, Uke gets to do anything Tori is only allowed to use the Nage No Kata techniques with full resistance from an Uke that knows expert Ukemi.

The one older Judo/BJJ BB from this new club stomps me on the ground, but doesn't have the physicality or Ukemi skill for me to disrespect and toss him hard in Randori.

My take downs suck balls but on the ground I cant imagine having and issues getting side control or full mount on an untrained opponent , much less them actually escaping. And I'm not even that good at all

When I only trained for 2 years it was comical how easy it was to win a fight. I don't even train TD's and still easily took the guy down who was taller than me but I was thicker. I don't train BJJ for that either way it's more for the workout and just overall fun in general.

I did 10 years of karate before I started bjj. In a street fight I would still probably punch and kick first. However, at my age I probably won't be in a street fight. I avoided them while drunk in my 20s. It would surprise me if one happens now.

I asked because I was training in Kyokushin Karate and I could see the application right away. I knew that I could knock the air out of someone or kick them out. I only felt vulnerable in case if someone dives for my legs and they are inches from the ground. Not much in my Kyokushin Karate background prepared me to handle that. Any wrestler or BJJ newbie could take me to the ground and My bare-knuckle karate training wouldnt get me out.

Then I started doing BJJ and as a blue belt I feel like I have filled a major hole in my game. I have some basic understanding of grappling and submissions but they would not be my GO-TO moves unless I am in very specific situations. The rest of what I am building up on seems to get more and more disconnected from realities of combat.

Would it all come together at black belt level? Or am I on a path to Braz-kwon-do?

In your case, I would suggest training Judo instead.

Jesús slap or good old foot stomp to clinch trip mount is mostly what you need in a fight. And a good rnc

What somone thinks and what someones ability is, is entirely different egos

inspired by the tough ol school Carlson Gracie style, good takedown with judo and wrestling players, knee on the belly, armbars and chokes, punches , headbutts, hair pulls, soccer kicks...has been successfully tested in self defense situation

Last edited:
Do you ever feel that what you are repeatedly doing on the mat has largely gotten disconnected from an all out street fight?

I enjoy fancy stuff but I also know basic defense. For the most part I just stick with what works. And it has been tested in defense. And it has passed the test. So yeah. My Bjj isn’t on some Rafa Mendes level, but it’s good enough to keep me (and the other person) safe.

Honestly, I’m willing to bet that any move you have done hundreds of times will work on an untrained person even if it’s flashy. That’s how I felt. Muscle memory kicked in and it just felt like another mat round...it just happens to be on brick. No adrenaline dump. No panic. Just another round.

Did that happen to you?
I sure can imagine a bazillion situations you would be forced to fight someone even to the death but most seem deeply unrealistic to me.

Once you get good enough you feel can just get sweep someone on a lower level super fast and get to a good dominant position when you could just punch someone or go for an armbar or whatever.
But the whole direction I'm training seem to be a really bad choice for getting me more efficient in a street fight. I would need some standup striking and better wrestling rather then improving my berimbolo or half guard sweeps.

Back