Is Vitor Belfort still into Karate or was just a trend from Machida Era?

If you can't see the heavy karate influence in his style there's no hope for you. And no I'm not talking about kicks. Very little of karate involves kicks.

nobody gives a shit about karate so cant blame them if they dont notice it.

i guess Vitor bum rushing forward throwing 1/2s is the new karate special, who woulda thunk??

nah he's training tapout now and after that he'll probably go back and try to earn his affliction black belt.

This was a horrible joke and I died laughing at it. Well done sir.

Did I fucking say it was, bitch?
TKD is all kicks, Vitor has pretty much been throwing all kicks. That's why he said that. I didn't say it.
Karate however, is also highly kick oriented, so I'm semi-rationalizing that statement with his cross training in another martial art.
Don't be a dick next time.
karate isn't highly kick oriented

Not sure if Vitor is still training traditional karate but I`d say he is for sure mixing karate into his ufc training.

I love Joe Silva's one liners. My favorite was for a fight a while back, Jason Black vs Thiago Tavares iirc, where Black had a bad weight cut. According to Rogan Silva said he looked like "Abraham Lincoln with rabies".

So then karate kid tell us what karate techniques and tendencies you see in Vitor? Genuine question here cause I don't jack shit about karate.

Wide stance to launch his punches straight punches. Focus on straight punches. Almost entirely wide stance leaping in straight punching style. The exact same thing machine does. That's karate. Not the kicks.

TKD is all kicks, Vitor has pretty much been throwing all kicks. That's why he said that. I didn't say it.
Karate however, is also highly kick oriented, so I'm semi-rationalizing that statement with his cross training in another martial art.

DID I FUCKING SAY YOU COULD RESPOND MOTHER FUCKER?!?!?!?! Sorry you came across as bigger dick than the person your calling a dick lol. DICKS IN YA ASS IS BAD FOR YA HEALTH

Heavy influence? Most of the fights i've seen involve him bum rushing someone with boxing style punches and beating them senseless followed by ground and pound or a choke. I don't see the heavy karate. Now GSP yes i could clearly see his background in it.

Nothing boxing style about his punches and I can tell you haven't seen many vitor fights if you think he bumrushes. He sits back, waits, leaps in with counter straight punches. How is that in anyway boxing? That is 100% karate.

"Boxing style punches"

And what karate do you see in gsp? Kicks? You guys really watch too much karate kid if you think kicks are a big part of karate. They're not. At least not in shotokan. Almost nothing gsp does has anything to do with karate.

His straight blast is karate.
Wide stance to launch his punches straight punches. Focus on straight punches. Almost entirely wide stance leaping in straight punching style. The exact same thing machine does. That's karate. Not the kicks.

How is today's Vitor blitz different from yesteryear's Vitor blitz? He always rushed opponents in a straight line but he's clearly better at it now. Has he always trained karate?

How is today's Vitor blitz different from yesteryear's Vitor blitz? He always rushed opponents in a straight line but he's clearly better at it now. Has he always trained karate?

He has always trained karate. Watch his very first fight. Against 6'7 monster Jon hess. Very first punch of the for was a 100% karate counter straight. That's the punch that stunned the giant.

Tae kwon do isn't karate

Just playing with you ZellJr. haha
I do like how he cuts distance with his straight punches. Does a leap that covers more ground than any fighter I've seen.

Just playing with you ZellJr. haha
I do like how he cuts distance with his straight punches. Does a leap that covers more ground than any fighter I've seen.

yeah it's pretty impressive. just wish he was more consistent with it against jones. rather than pulling guard constantly.

If you can't see the heavy karate influence in his style there's no hope for you. And no I'm not talking about kicks. Very little of karate involves kicks.

They pretty much are though for all intents and purposes. Both are 90% useless and I've also trained in them. Knifehands, kata's, tapping each other in point sparring=useless. I learned more in my first 6 months in Muay Thai or boxing classes. This is no joke. In one year I was sparring black belts in TWD and Karate in my MT class and was getting the better of well over 1/2 of them.

Yes, really. If you think Machida's style is karate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQqMt10GcQY

Watch him widen the stance just as hess is coming in. Widens that stance and launches the straight right. This is his very first fight.

Idk. It seems somewhat intuitive to widen the stance a tad. I don't train or anything, so maybe I just don't see how it's obvious.

Idk. It seems somewhat intuitive to widen the stance a tad. I don't train or anything, so maybe I just don't see how it's obvious.

That's not a boxing move.

It's not intuitive at all. Widening the stance then bending the knees to launch.

He has always trained karate. Watch his very first fight. Against 6'7 monster Jon hess. Very first punch of the for was a 100% karate counter straight. That's the punch that stunned the giant.
So he's just perfected it over time then. I think Belfort is one of the most improved Blackzilian fighters, do you think training with them has improved his game?
yeah it's pretty impressive. just wish he was more consistent with it against jones. rather than pulling guard constantly.
Can you blame the guy? He almost tore Jones' arm off and that was really his most effective offense in the fight so its not surprising he tried to replicate that success.

Wheel kicks.
Deadly roundhouses.
I'd say so.

Joe Rogan said Joe Silva put it best. "It's like Vitor downloaded a tae kwon doe black belt."
He didn't learn that in karate.

When he won the sports science award for that kick and gave his speech he said before the fight on fight day he had a vision or some shit so he asked his trainer to hold the pads so he could try out the wheel kick and all of his trainers thought he was crazy but he told them to just hold the pads and let him practice the kick. He said he had never done it before.

I guess Jesus gave him the vision to do that kick.

Back