is Usman a reverse Gsp

You mean the retired fighter who, after the Hendricks fight, came back and defeated the champion in a higher weightclass ?

lol

Yeah, that Michael Bisping one off totally redeems the fact that he tucked tail in the prime of his career.

Bozos like you didn’t even watch GSP fight live and it’s painfully obvious.

nice try clown

l@nd0

WTF are you talking about? Henry lost to DJ but was gifted a decision and title. He never defended it against a true number 1 contender. He was then gifted a title fight at BW and did a great job coming back from being within a hair of being finished in the first vs Moraes to finishing him in the 2nd. Defended that against an unranked opponent and retired. Running away from a long list of contenders.

He also didn't move up to win a 2nd title. He fought at his normal weigh class of 135 after killing himself to make Fly (missing twice in his first 2 flyW fights).

Usman has 4 defences, two against Masvidal. Now he is trying to claim no one deserves a title shot.

They both are the Anti GSP. He defended his title against the next deserving contender time and time again.
Exactly

If Usman get's the defenses GSP had and has more finishes, props to him, but he has a ways to go. Bringing Cejudo up is a joke lol

Let's see how he does 9 defenses deep

Why do we have to wait? So sensitive boys like you can hold on to the past?

He’s surpassed GSP’s win streak at 170. He didn’t have the benefit of being fast tracked and given a title shot by the time he was 25. And he’s finishing fights. Finishing notoriously hard fighters to finish.

But I’m sure you liked watching a greased up Canadian lay on guys.

Yeah, that Michael Bisping one off totally redeems the fact that he tucked tail in the prime of his career.

Bozos like you didn’t even watch GSP fight live and it’s painfully obvious.

nice try clown

l@nd0
I will never understand how dudes like you claim GSP was in his prime 9 defenses in

200.gif

I will never understand how dudes like you claim GSP was in his prime 9 defenses in

He was still a relatively young man when he fought Hendricks. But I think you’ve got a point.

To be fair he took more significant strikes to the head in his last three fights at welterweight than he had in all of his previous fights combined.

So he may not have been in his prime. Or it would’ve been the tail end of it. That’s fair.

He’s surpassed GSP’s win streak at 170. He didn’t have the benefit of being fast tracked and given a title shot by the time he was 25. And he’s finishing fights. Finishing notoriously hard fighters to finish.

It's a whole different thing when you have the belt, Usman was just starting MMA when he was 25 lol

Usman is great, for sure has a chance to pass GSP, especially if he keeps up the finishes, but he has a bit to go imo

GSP and Jones are similar, great early on, slow decline. At least Jones didn't retire from getting beating up, Jones also didn't loose early in career, except for that stupid DQ.

Jones has never tapped either, especially to strikes.

Therefore Jones is more of a GOAT than GSP

And don't come with the PED's, we all know GSP was as clean as everyone else

gsp went from exciting contender to boring champ

where as usman seems to be going for the kill since he became champ and knocking dudes out

He's just better full stop. Could you imagine Usman tapping to strikes from Kevin Lee?

It's a whole different thing when you have the belt, Usman was just starting MMA when he was 25 lol

Usman is great, for sure has a chance to pass GSP, especially if he keeps up the finishes, but he has a bit to go imo

Fair enough. I just think the title defense argument is a weak one—given the circumstances. Usman would have to defend the belt until he’s 40 to reach that number and we both know the odds of that happening are slim.

Both guys are all time greats. I really believe that.

I agree Usman is amazing, but he has 2 finishes in a row and everyone thinks he's a finisher, if he has 2 decisions he'll be boring again lol. People constantly go from Izzy is super exciting, to super boring depending on the result of his last fight or two, short memories

MMA fans in a nutshell unfortunately

Win streaks are a lot harder when you're fighting the top guy in the division every fight at the top and everyone's watching your moves.

Dan Henderson is the reverse GSP

Started out the most elite wrestler in the sport ended as a striker with mediocre wrestling
Went from "decision Dan" to H-bomb Dan.
Wasn't afraid to go up two weight classes and fight the best
Retired late, had one of the longest careers in the history of the sport
Actually became a two division champ
Iron chin
Huge punching power
Enjoyed a brawl
Willing to take one to deliver one
Didn’t flinch when getting connected on
Would never ever tap to strikes
{<jordan}

The level of improvement on a fight by fight basis at the top level is amazing.

The only other guy that we've seen step up against top level competition like that is Cejudo.

Khabib also got better as the competition got stiffer. The better the opponent the quicker he finished them.

The level of improvement on a fight by fight basis at the top level is amazing.

The only other guy that we've seen step up against top level competition like that is Cejudo.
Not that cejudo isn’t an elite fighter, but: Yeah Cejudo really impressed me when he fought that retired commentator who was coming off a loss four years prior. Sure wish I could’ve seen him take the next step by calling out a 145lb fighter who is so far beyond his prime that he's decided to leave the division he competed in for his entire career.
Oh you meant the time he beat TJ not all the other stuff.
Khabib however was making unbelievable improvements as he continued to fight.

When u have ko power in ur jab. U don't have to waste energy throwing other types of punches. Gsp had a nice jab but it had no power behind it.

Fair enough. I just think the title defense argument is a weak one—given the circumstances. Usman would have to defend the belt until he’s 40 to reach that number and we both know the odds of that happening are slim.

Both guys are all time greats. I really believe that.
Yeah, but that's part of why it's special when guys like Anderson, or Jones, etc. put up those title defenses. That's just something I value super highly because you see how much harder it gets for guys once they get deep into their reign, if we don't value it highly then why not be like Khabib and just retire after 3 defenses while you're on top?

But yeah we're almost splitting hairs when talking about these guys, they're both unbelievable. Some people value finishes and dominance more than defenses which is fine, it's subjective. GSP has said himself it's a legit criticism of his legacy that he doesn't have finishes, I feel like he almost regrets not chasing them more.

gsp went from exciting contender to boring champ

where as usman seems to be going for the kill since he became champ and knocking dudes out

Yeah it's easy to be exciting fighting Masvidal. The Burns win is more impressive though.

Back