Is upkick legal or illegal?

upkick.gif

this was legal

Actually the cage favours strikers as they quite often use the cage ala chuck Liddell style to get back to their feet.
Not so much in pride

Oh, the cage definitely helped out guys like Anderson or Lyoto and made them more difficult to corner. It helps outfighters who rely on lateral movement and countering for sure.

If you rely on cornering guys though, it doesn't help as much, as someone like Cro Cop would attest to.

I was more referring to the ground rules favoring wrestlers and working against the guy defending takedowns or on the bottom.

Miss pride becoming big fan of oneFC

Ive actually started to become a big fan of one fc too.... still miss pride tho.
I was really looking forward to watching the total domination show but now ill be away with work and unable to watch, which sucks.
Hoping cody stevens and peter davis can get the wins go hard mates!!

God I hate when people say UFC's rules. They are not their rule set. They follow the same rules as every other promotion in North America, the unified rules of MMA.

Same thing when they talk about refs and judges. Fucking irritating.

Lol, UFC made/dictated the f*cking rules for the most part.

Same rules as any other kick (ie. to the head of a grounded opponent is illegal).

You can kick opponents head as long as he's not considered grounded.

A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter) If the referee determines that a fighter would be a grounded fighter but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter

What Mousasi did would be perfectly OK in States.

tumblr_m993xgL8nZ1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

It was illegal in ROTR and is illegal in the UFC when one limb of your opponent is touching the canvas. Well, unless they're playing the rules game, which Ratner and Big John disapprove. It was legal in Pride, but was illegal in Dream where Mousasi fought Jacare, but Jacare wasn't a downed opponent (that move would've been legal in the UFC as well).

Just another moronic rule in MMA. If you are standing over me I can upkick you, if you are over me but have a knee on the ground I can't. So if you are on the bottom you have to pay attention to where your opponents knees are before throwing an upkick.

Ive actually started to become a big fan of one fc too.... still miss pride tho.
I was really looking forward to watching the total domination show but now ill be away with work and unable to watch, which sucks.
Hoping cody stevens and peter davis can get the wins go hard mates!!

Pride shows were so amazing, most every card was stacked from the top to the bottom and each card was an event of epic proportions. MMA in it's current form is like Chuck Liddell or Cro Cop now compared to what they were in their primes.

The rules strongly favor wrestlers in the UFC. It's hard to punish repeated TD attempts with knees (like JDS/Cain II) or to fight off your back with upkicks, because most wrestlers are smart enough to keep a knee or a hand on the ground to stop them.

This shouldn't be surprising as one of the people majorly responsible for the Unified Rules of MMA was Jeff Blatnik, UFC announcer and former Olympic Greco-Roman wrestler. He just died and his efforts in the sanctioning of MMA are largely overlook by current fans of the sport.

BermudezGarza.gif

Shows a bunch of legal examples and an illegal upkick per the rules in the UFC.

I don't know why I laughed when I saw this gif. its so funny how he got his head repeatedly kick even when he is moving away.

Back