Is upkick legal or illegal?

jaredpace

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I saw Jacare Vs. Mousasi, and Mousasi won via an upkick. But I think Anderson Silva had one disqualification for an upkick? Is it legal or not?

It's legal if your opponent doesn't have knees or hands on the ground, or sitting on his bum.

It's legal in Japan. It's legal in America only if your opponent (the one getting upkicked) is standing.

4.gif

BermudezGarza.gif

Shows a bunch of legal examples and an illegal upkick per the rules in the UFC.

Like Jmarc said, it's illegal if the person you upkick has even one knee on the ground, but if they're standing it's legal. Might also depend on the rules of the organization or even the fight depending on where it happened.

Bendo/Edgar 1 second round was an example of a legal upkick. Mousasi/Jardine is an example of an illegal upkick. Mousasi still beat that ass.

illegal if opponent is on three points.(has one hand on the ground)

Legal to a standing opponent (UFC).

Legal in Pride.

To my knowledge, there is no rule in the UFC addressing upkicks specifically.

A kick to the head of a grounded opponent, where grounded is defined as any point touching the ground besides the feet, is illegal.

Some upkicks fall under this category.

Mousasi's upkick on Jacare would be legal in any MMA league that I'm aware of. Jacare only had his feet on the ground when the kick connected. If a knee was down, or a hand was on the ground, or he was on his butt, then upkicks are illegal. At least under unified rules.

My favorite upkick of all time by far was the amazing one by Renzo Gracie to the legendary Oleg Taktarov.

Oleg is such a warrior I really don't think he knew what happened, and he was fully ready to continue afterward. Renzo was also very classy in winning (and he not always was - he once stepped on the stomach of a downed opponent while walking away) and did not mock the angry Oleg, and even told his crew to shut up and say nothing to him about the KO.

God I hate when people say UFC's rules. They are not their rule set. They follow the same rules as every other promotion in North America, the unified rules of MMA.

Same thing when they talk about refs and judges. Fucking irritating.

In the UFC, they're illegal if done to a guy with one or both knees still on the ground.

In the third round of Hendricks/Pierce, Hendricks connected with an upkick that hurt Pierce where the replay showed both of Pierce's knees were off the ground, but Pierce was given time to recover and the referee cautioned Hendricks about it because it looked close and illegal at the time.

The rules strongly favor wrestlers in the UFC. It's hard to punish repeated TD attempts with knees (like JDS/Cain II) or to fight off your back with upkicks, because most wrestlers are smart enough to keep a knee or a hand on the ground to stop them.

In the UFC, they're illegal if done to a guy with one or both knees still on the ground.

In the third round of Hendricks/Pierce, Hendricks connected with an upkick that hurt Pierce where the replay showed both of Pierce's knees were off the ground, but Pierce was given time to recover and the referee cautioned Hendricks about it because it looked close and illegal at the time.

The rules strongly favor wrestlers in the UFC. It's hard to punish repeated TD attempts with knees (like JDS/Cain II) or to fight off your back with upkicks, because most wrestlers are smart enough to keep a knee or a hand on the ground to stop them.

Actually the cage favours strikers as they quite often use the cage ala chuck Liddell style to get back to their feet.
Not so much in pride

Back