Is UFC 228 one of the worst cards ever

Rizzo

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else starting to get tired of the UFC treating its customers like idiots and putting on trash cards and charging us 65 bucks to see them? I understand that not every card can be stacked, especially in the day and age of them choosing to oversaturate the market with too many cards thus watering down the PPVs at times. But lets be real here, they can do a LOT better than what we have been seeing lately. Woodley/Till is a fight I would pay money to see but is that fight alone worth 65 bucks? No. Not a single other fight on the main card is worth paying for, no offense to the fighters involved. Zabit is a fun up and comer sure but do I want to watch him fight Brandon Davis in the CO MAIN EVENT? Get out of here.

So rant aside, what cards are as laughable on paper as this one we are being force fed tomorrow?

UFC 72 is the only card I can remember as bad as this one.

I'm sure you were going to stream it anyway, and still will, but by all means continue to bitch and moan

Have to agree it is a shitcard for that amount of money. It is.

TS is right, we all know it.

ppv cards need to be stacked from bottom to top for that price.

I've never understood why they don't just fluctuate pay-per-view cost with the perceived value of the card.

It's like they are stuck at this $60 mark.

if they dropped it to say $39 I would probably buy it.
They need to understand making money with volume instead of not making money at all.

Dana is not a businessman. When you have 500 million dollars in the bank, you lose sight of the value of $60. To Dana thats .50 cents.

This MUST-need to fill pay-per-view slots with whoever (just because you have a venue booked) is killing there profits in the long term.

Last edited:
I'm sure you were going to stream it anyway, and still will, but by all means continue to bitch and moan
Excited-fat-kid-wrestling-fan.gif

At least 2 of the 3 main card WMMA fights got taken care of one way or another

I'm not sure if it's the worst card ever, but it's definitely the worst PPV ever.

Love when people act like UFC has a gun to their head making them spend 60 bucks.

If you started a thread "create the most boring card" an answer of UFC 228 would be the answer.

We never know how a card is going to be. I along with everyone else thought Francis and Lewis was going to be fire. It was the worst fight I have ever seen. The last fight night was the one of the best cards in recent memory imo.

The market has been telling the UFC its over saturated. I was hoping with the new TV deal it would put an end to 12 PPV's a year or whatever and bring it down to maybe 4 big PPV's a year. Unfortunately for the first year of the deal(2019) we will have more events than this year.

They have more or less conditioned the fan base to seek out ways to watch PPV events for free. Being that the sport attracts very young crowd I think its safe to say a majority of newer fans don't buy the PPV's and find other ways as they are knowledgeable on that front.

For us streamers it's a sick Fox(ESPN) card.

In all honesty tho:

Woodley x Till
Montaño x Shevchenko
Andrade x KK
Rivera x Dodson
Zabit x Yair

Would have been a PPV worthy card worthy of the $65 asking price. It's a lot better than some of the cards we've been getting. All of the fights are fun, high level, and meaningful to their respective divisions. Plus two title fights, and a couple of rising stars in Zabit and Till. You can't even sleep on the WMMA. We all know Val would've smoked Nico, the showcase would've been fun. KK and Andrade is going to be a stand up WAR. Had the card not fallen apart, I think it was a worthwhile PPV.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't get it. Do they really expect people to pay $65 for 5 fights of that caliber?? Several of the main card fights are just like the prelim fights on TV.

Woodley not going to get much PPV. We saw with Eddie's contract that it didn't kick in until like 100 or 200k buys. Obviously that was his contract years ago, but I can't imagine Woodley is going to get much. His guaranteed is probably going to be a lot more.

I'm not sure if it's the worst card ever, but it's definitely the worst PPV ever.
I dunno, anytime there is a new terrible PPV, it still has to compete with 177.

T.J. Dillashaw (c) def. Joe Soto
Tony Ferguson def. Danny Castillo
Bethe Correia def. Shayna Baszler
Carlos Diego Ferreira def. Ramsey Nijem
Yancy Medeiros def. Damon Jackson

Keep in mind that it followed the cancelled 176 (where you would expect a stacked PPV with them partially combined).

Is anyone else starting to get tired of the UFC treating its customers like idiots and putting on trash cards and charging us 65 bucks to see them? I understand that not every card can be stacked, especially in the day and age of them choosing to oversaturate the market with too many cards thus watering down the PPVs at times. But lets be real here, they can do a LOT better than what we have been seeing lately. Woodley/Till is a fight I would pay money to see but is that fight alone worth 65 bucks? No. Not a single other fight on the main card is worth paying for, no offense to the fighters involved. Zabit is a fun up and comer sure but do I want to watch him fight Brandon Davis in the CO MAIN EVENT? Get out of here.

So rant aside, what cards are as laughable on paper as this one we are being force fed tomorrow?

UFC 72 is the only card I can remember as bad as this one.

This is my favorite thread. Bitch, whine, moan, whinge, and cry about an upcoming event. Right behind UFC is dying.

Well, for a PPV it's not impressive, but I'm pretty pumped s(till).

yes, making tons of money from TV deals has hurt the PPVs and has frustrated many fans who want to go back to 12-20 cards a year and LW-HW mens MMA weight classes

my guess is that we won't any time soon see them choose to go from 50 cards to 20, solely for the opportunity to make hundreds of millions of dollars less.

put another way, Zuffa isn't in the business of not making money.

i'm not buying it or illegally streaming it.

but when you get down in the dumps, TS, i suggest you think about all the awesome fights you've seen on Spike, Fox and FS1. because it's all related.

Back