1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

Is this the only sybol for jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ATTfighter, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ATTfighter

ATTfighter Blue Belt

im getting a tattoo and i want to make sure this is the only way to spell it if there are any other variations please post the pics here, thanks

2. ATTfighter

ATTfighter Blue Belt

is this one better looking

3. SH5

SH5 Orange Belt

I had one done by a friends wife who is japanese , along with some other things .
    But that matches perfectly what she did

4. Soid

Soid Renegade of Funk

are you japanese? if you cant even read it whats the point in getting it in japanese. get it in english

5. Foolkiller

Foolkiller You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

Part of the only one holistic system of systems
    Kanji tattoos are the male equivalent of women getting tattoos just above their butt crack: nothing says I want to scar my body for life as proof I am as original as Levee jeans and have the creativity of a dead fish like a kanji tattoo. While your at it, get barbed wire around your bicep and something on your upper abs too. Maybe steal Frank Mir's design like you plan to rip off Dave Terell's tattoo. Be twice as unoriginal!

6. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

Lol! ^ ^ so true.

save the japanese tattoos for the japanese

7. TJS

TJS Brown Belt

I have thought about that but i would want more than just that symobol to make it original

8. realghostbuster

realghostbuster Artistic Mercenary for Hire

turn that symbol in the middle into a jujitsu belt, thatd be cool.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch Brown Belt

joe riggs doesnt even have a kanji tatoo does he?

10. Mirada

Mirada Brown Belt

Just tattoo a belt around your waist.

Get whatever rank you think you'll peak at.

11. jpark4

jpark4 Yellow Belt

^ that or a watch, i've always wanted a tattooed watch
    -Jon

12. Brandinho

Brandinho Guest

Get it on your lower back above your ass. If you are going to get teh ghey unoriginal tattoo, then make it teh ultimo ghey. Target.

In all seriousness, there are fewer things more unoriginal than kanji tattoos. Artists like doing them about as much as dolphins and suns on women, and barbed wire and old english on men. Do tons of research and get something original and cool. Your artist will like that more and you will have a story behind it.

13. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

Tats on your lower back are so lame.

14. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

get it around your belly button... And then get like a Emerald dolphin penjalim that hangs from the belly.
    THAT WILL BE SO COOL!

15. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

Lol, you guys are such fashion critics.

What kind of Jujitsu do you do? If you do BJJ, you might want the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu symbol. It's the triangle with the two BJJ guys in the middle. Google it and click on images.

I think Kanji tattoos are cool. But then again I want to major in Japanese when I go to college, and I want to live in Japan. So that's me. But all the fighters at my gym get the Boneyard symbol tattooed on the back of their neck. It's two kanji symbols. I sent them to my friend Nao in Japan, and she told me they mean "Boneyard." Makes sense.

Who cares if it's original? Humans have been tattooing their bodies for centuries. I'm pretty sure that unless you draw something yourself, whatever you get isn't going to be the most original thing. The guy wants to show his committment to Jiu-Jitsu. Personally, I don't see how anyone could ever stop loving Jiu-Jitsu, so I don't know when he'll regret that tattoo.

16. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

If this was a forum on tattoos, I think you'd be in the right. To tattoo enthusiasts, kanji tattoos are probably about the equivalent to when a totally new BJJ student gives up his back and gets RNC'ed. Incredibly common and happens to people who don't know much about what they're doing. But who cares? The guy wants one tattoo.

Unless he's planning on making more visits to his artist, he really shouldn't care if he's making the artist happy. Putting ink in skin is the guy's job, and what he thinks doesn't matter. You're making a permanent mark on your body; you should really be concerned with what you like, and not with what the artist likes drawing. And if for some reason he has an attitude, explain the story behind your tattoo is that you know the art that he's inscribing in your arm, and if there are any further problems you'd be glad to demonstrate :icon_twis

You can't go through your entire life trying to be original. Let people have their fun. I was at a Mass Destruction (Massachusetts MMA event) a few weeks back, and there was a fighter with the Wanderlei tattoo on the back of his head. I first thought "How unoriginal," but the guy put on a hell of a fight, and it was cool to watch. He may have been copying another fighter with the tattoo, but he put on a great show, and after all; his job was to knock someone out, not to put on a tattoo fashion show.

Just get whatever tattoo you want ATTFighter. Make sure you'll like it, and that there won't be a point in your life that you'll regret it. Let your Jiu-Jitsu speak, not your tattoo.

17. spiderguardman

spiderguardman Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

a dude at a judo club i train at has the symbols for ju do on his back, it looks preety cool because it's preety freakin big

18. Waxwingslain

Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

Don't think I've ever seen a Japanese person with a kanji tattoo.

I would probably rate them higher than tattoos of roses, butterflies, dolphins, devils or pegasi but that's not saying much.

Reading the crap people tattoo on their bodies is probably one of the most practical things I do with my knowledge of Japanese.

19. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

get genki's bird across your back

20. Falero

Falero Black Belt

Well, regular japanese people tend to stay clear of tatoos. I