Is this the only sybol for jiu jitsu

Iceman5592 said:
Lol, you guys are such fashion critics.

What kind of Jujitsu do you do? If you do BJJ, you might want the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu symbol. It's the triangle with the two BJJ guys in the middle. Google it and click on images.

I think Kanji tattoos are cool. But then again I want to major in Japanese when I go to college, and I want to live in Japan. So that's me. But all the fighters at my gym get the Boneyard symbol tattooed on the back of their neck. It's two kanji symbols. I sent them to my friend Nao in Japan, and she told me they mean "Boneyard." Makes sense.

Who cares if it's original? Humans have been tattooing their bodies for centuries. I'm pretty sure that unless you draw something yourself, whatever you get isn't going to be the most original thing. The guy wants to show his committment to Jiu-Jitsu. Personally, I don't see how anyone could ever stop loving Jiu-Jitsu, so I don't know when he'll regret that tattoo.

Tattoos shouldn't even be considered "fashionable". Fashions come and go, tattoos last for life. Anyone getting a tattoo because "It'll look so hot in the summer" or because they saw someone with one is a fucking moron. Every other ignorant slut or chav bloke in England goes on holiday and comes back with either kanji tattoos, some "tribal" design that was probably designed by an artist who has only played Tribes on their computer or some sort of tramp stamp above their ass crack. It's generic, stupid and a sad indictment of the consumer culture we live in when people permanently mark themselves because of a trend. Even a lot of tattoo artists loath doing them. Once when some training buddies and I went out for a post session drink this bloke at another table had a kanji tattoo that our Japanese friend revealed read something along the lines of "mouse penis". The funny thing is I hear now you see Japanese people walking around with English tattoos. Crazy, no? Also if that fighter had a Wandesque skull tattoo, he is probably crazy for 1) ripping off such a notable tattoo 2) being obsessive enough to get a copy and 3) being able to take the pain of getting your skull inked. So it's probably no surprise he won, crazy style beats all other styles. As a great man once said "you know jiujitsu, I know insane, you try to beat me down but I feel no pain."

As for getting tired of jiu jitsu, it can happen. Former forum member Machado Jiu-Jitsu is a prime if unfortunate example.

Unless you are Chinese or Japanese or come from a culture that actually uses the kanji, you will run the risk looking very stupid when you get a kanji tattoo like everyone else.

Superbeast said:
Tattoos shouldn't even be considered "fashionable". Fashions come and go, tattoos last for life. Anyone getting a tattoo because "It'll look so hot in the summer" or because they saw someone with one is a fucking moron. Every other ignorant slut or chav bloke in England goes on holiday and comes back with either kanji tattoos, some "tribal" design that was probably designed by an artist who has only played Tribes on their computer or some sort of tramp stamp above their ass crack. It's generic, stupid and a sad indictment of the consumer culture we live in when people permanently mark themselves because of a trend. Even a lot of tattoo artists loath doing them. Once when some training buddies and I went out for a post session drink this bloke at another table had a kanji tattoo that our Japanese friend revealed read something along the lines of "mouse penis". The funny thing is I hear now you see Japanese people walking around with English tattoos. Crazy, no? Also if that fighter had a Wandesque skull tattoo, he is probably crazy for 1) ripping off such a notable tattoo 2) being obsessive enough to get a copy and 3) being able to take the pain of getting your skull inked. So it's probably no surprise he won, crazy style beats all other styles. As a great man once said "you know jiujitsu, I know insane, you try to beat me down but I feel no pain."

As for getting tired of jiu jitsu, it can happen. Former forum member Machado Jiu-Jitsu is a prime if unfortunate example.

Totally Agree

Get whatever tattoo you want........it's your body, your life.....f*uck everyone's opinion!!

Yeah, we're way off topic here, but I gotta agree with Superbeast...I am WAY tired of seeing women with tats above the ass crack. Don't they realize I'm just going to set my ashtray on top of it, anyway?

And getting "machine" or "thug" or "warrior" or whatever tattooed in huge letters across the belly is gayest. Nothing says "look at me, I'm tough, really" like a big ass stomach tattoo.

yakuza gets the hardcore armor tattoo

It covers the entire back...

Like a sleave but for the back.

I get all my information from detailed studying of Big trouble in little tokyo

Make sure they don't put "mouse penis" instead though.

On topic: I would wait a year. If you still want it, get it. Further, you could show true dedication and wait until you get a black belt to get it.

Superbeast: Tramp stamp. That is simply fantastic. Literal LOL, and I will totally be stealing that. :)

Wax: I get so hyped when I can read a kanji tattoo...man, kanji is so tough. If only getting hiragana and katakana tats were "in," I'd be translating left and right :)

Also, I've got and am often asked about this shirt:

tattoo_shirt_64.gif

Pretty much translates to "Customers with tattoos are not allowed, we will call the police" as seen outside bath houses.

TekNinja said:
Wax: I get so hyped when I can read a kanji tattoo...man, kanji is so tough. If only getting hiragana and katakana tats were "in," I'd be translating left and right :)

Some people never even make it through the kana so I'm sure you're doing well.

Learning Kanji is totally doable, I used a set of about 2000 cards, did a lot of reading and erm, have been living in Japan for the last four years. Still, I've seen a friend master them in about a year - he can write words the Japanese themselves don't know how to write. We're both going for JLPT ikkyu this year.

I have a couple of J-list T-shirts too, wanna get the "maneki neko" one next.

Sorry this is so off-topic... Gomen nasai minna-san!

Cynic said:
I actually study japanese culture in my spare time. Tattooing has been a part of japanese culture a long time, what did you base your comment on?

Thanks for saying that ... I thought that tattoos had a long cultural history in the East--especially Japan.

http://whitton.members.atlantic.net/body/tattoo_asian.htm

People can make mistakes with tattoos just like anything else. My dad has "Mabel" tattooed on his bicep. Unfortunately, my mom's name is Barbara ... I don't know who Mabel is and I never dared to ask ...

Ultimately it's just a design, whether it is in Japanese or not. At least it is beautiful caligraphy. Some of y'all need to stop hatin' so. :D

Back