Is this a sign of poor technique? (pic)

have you heard of tape?

Sounds familiar. Have you heard of reading more than 1 post?

you're going 110% on sparring i guess.

I don't think so. I mean I don't exactly flow roll or go light, but I'm definitely not going all out. I think it might have something to do with this actually:

I used to get them when I put my feet flat on the ground while in someones guard. Now im on my toes, which is better anyway.

I know I used to get them from shoots, but the last few times it was bad I didn't do any at all. But I know I do this and never associated the burns with it. How is it better? What does it do for you? What are the odds of fucking up or breaking a toe?

They just toughen up over time from what I've noticed. I think you also just become more conscious of where your feet are and that decreases the likelihood of this happening as well.

Well in order to create that skin break you have to rapidly drag the top of your foot over the mat during a movement.

I used to get them from shots but don't get them as long as I focus and don't get lazy about dragging the foot.

You need to identify what other movements are causing them if you want to prevent the reoccurence beyond simply waiting for the conditioning to toughen the skin.

I think it is a sign of poor technique, don't slide your insteps on the mat, stay on your toes.

tape those suckers up dude

happens to me when i work takedowns and drag my feet and knee. Always get mat-burn on right knee to go with loss of skin on big toe. makes me appreciate tape

Last edited:
Back