Is this a sign of poor technique? (pic)

Bellicose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Stupid whitebelt question:
Every now and then I get bad mat burns on my feet. Now obviously I would expect this to happen once and a while, but it isn't consistent. I can go weeks and months without getting it, then out of nowhere after a single class my feet are torn up, usually in different spots. This leads me to think on those days I'm doing something incorrect that I'm not pickup on? Or am I reading too much into it? This is actually the best it's been after one of those days, it's usually a lot worse. Thanks.

2012-06-10_14-42-24_629_zpsde3ca539.jpg

these things just happen.

your skin will eventually toughen up and you'll get it less and less... but even after a few years of training i still got it when i went to a tournament. it surprised the hell out of me, but i guess the different mats and just going 110% had something to do with it.

i doubt it has anything to do with your technique, so don't worry about it. wash it thoroughly after training, tape yourself up if you need to and keep working. the problem will solve itself after a while.

I Actually have may burn in the same exact spot at the moment. I always get it during no Gi.

I get it now whenever I get on mats my feet aren't used to. Zebra mats seem to be the worst culprits for me.

Every so often a callus rips off when doing shots, happens, BJJ will wreck your feet.

Yep another vote for getting it when using mats different from what you're used. Weird how you adapt and get used to certain stuff.

It usually happens from wild scrambling in my experience or doing something you aren't used to doing.

My feet are in the exact same state. The big one on the left foot will take the longest to heal, I've had an identical looking burn on my right foot for about 4 weeks now. WEAR PLASTERS WITH SOCKS! Otherwise the wounds will stick.

I get mat burn on my feet when I train gi, and my knees when I train nogi. I stay on my toes a lot but I still get them allll the time. Certain mats are worse. When people have a tarp thing over the mats I don't get it as bad as with like tatami style mats. Those mats allow for so much sliding, I think friction burns are more prevelant.

As others have said, your feet will toughen up with time. Mat burns will still occasionally happen, but they'll become much less frequent. Happens to almost everyone.

I get matburns on my feet quite a lot, especially on my instep, where I've accumulated quite a lot of scare tissue over the last three years.

I still get it semi-regularly, but it seems more frequent when I've been away a little while.

I used to get those a ton in my first year, not nearly as much the second, and now 3+ in, I cannot remember the last time. I think it was because I spent so much time on my feet (as in tops of my feet, flat on the mat, instead of perched on my toes/ball of my foot).

I have massive calluses on the knuckles (?) of my toes, exactly where you have those mat burns. Just give your body time to build up.

Matt burns suck to heal though, they take forever, athlete tape never stays on and they sting like a mother fucker whenever you shower

Thanks, guys.

Now that a few of you have mentioned it, it's has only happened when training on zebra mats. I trained this Christmas Eve at a friend of a family member's house and he had zebra mats in his basement. Guess I did get used to the ones at my school.

I also found that the athletic tape doesn't work very well, so I switched to New Skin to cover up the burns when I get them. Surprisingly, it holds up pretty well during class.

I used to get them when I put my feet flat on the ground while in someones guard. Now im on my toes, which is better anyway.

My feet looked worse than that when I started and those cuts are now scars. I don't think that happens to everyone though, I may just be unlucky.

Your skin will toughen up, if it gets bad don't be afraid to cover it with some athletic tape before class.

these things just happen.

i still got it when i went to a tournament. it surprised the hell out of me, but i guess the different mats and just going 110% had something to do with it.

this! it happened to me one time in a tournament. the problem is that it hurts when you're doing grappling, it boders me. in training, i didn't get those yet. you're going 110% on sparring i guess.

Back