Is This a Legal Move?

Bballfan123

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Wondering the jurisdiction on this, need a team of sherdog lawyers

So i was waiting in the line for the supermarket and i only had one item. water. $1.29. There was a long line. Then the cashier got up to go do something, idk move a box or a cart. looked like it would take him two minutes. I was posting on sherdog and was in a hurry. Instead of waiting for him to return, I simply placed 2 $1 bills, plainly visible, on top of the register and walked out of the store. I didn't want the change, and I dont feel like i have to wait for proof of payment. I paid. The store has a video surveillance system. Under no circumstance did I 'steal' the water. I did not wait for the paper receipt.

Is the receipt the 'transaction' or is by entering unto a storefront, exchanging currency, and then leaving, does that qualify?

The sale was not 'recorded'. I don't believe? customers have that obligation to stores? it's not my job to manage a store's inventory. I used to get paid to do that, i stocked shelves. now i don't stock shelves so that is no longer my responsibility.

Did I just break teh supermaketz?

We should all just go into stores and put money on the counter and then leave. waiting in lines is for stupid people who cant calculate taxes in their head.

This will also cause confusion, while being perfectly legal, so that the store will have to hire more skilled employees to police this callous, yet legal, behavior. This will stimulate the economy, as wages are taxed at a higher rate than corporate profits, and generate more tax revenue for the state government!

WINNING

52f42cff-8f13-4eac-8ce2-c5b2596b9f6a_text.gif

So i was waiting in the line for the supermarket and i only had one item. water. $1.29. There was a long line. Then the cashier got up to go do something, idk move a box or a cart. looked like it would take him two minutes. I was posting on sherdog and was in a hurry. Instead of waiting for him to return, I simply placed 2 $1 bills, plainly visible, on top of the register and walked out of the store. I didn't want the change, and I dont feel like i have to wait for proof of payment. I paid. The store has a video surveillance system. Under no circumstance did I 'steal' the water. I did not wait for the paper receipt.

Is the receipt the 'transaction' or is by entering unto a storefront, exchanging currency, and then leaving, does that qualify?

The sale was not 'recorded'. I don't believe? customers have that obligation to stores? it's not my job to manage a store's inventory. I used to get paid to do that, i stocked shelves. now i don't stock shelves so that is no longer my responsibility.

Literally none of this happened

armchair lawyer here...in a way i don't think it was theft since you paid the correct amount so nothing was stolen but customers can't really do that and i'm sure there's ways to make it illegal.

there's an unspoken agreement between businesses and customers where the business has to ring up the item, otherwise it's "theft". it's like being in someone's house and taking their food and leaving money on the counter without their approval. you paid what the item was worth, but it's still theft.

better answer...

a receipt is the only proof that it wasn't theft. it depends on the company if they want to press charges if someone does that, and they can.

Sounds like you had no intention to steal. Therefore they can't prove mens rea.

I say no theft.

Sounds like you had no intention to steal. Therefore they can't prove mens rea.

I say no theft.

isn't mens rea the intention behind the act? he obviously didn't intend to steal but he did intend to leave with the item without the store's approval and he did so it meets the criteria.

I think you have to hand it to the cashier.

Because who knows what happened to the money you left on the register. Maybe another customer took it. Maybe the wind blew it on the floor.

Like I can't just go to the car dealership and hop in a brand new car, throwing 60k in small bills out the window as I speed away. Not again anyway.

37xjo4zhpilz.jpg

I don't know why you'd think your sherbros would know anything about criminal activity, so I reported it to the FBI so they can tell you more about it
Thank you. Hopefully they can track down my 71 cents and return them to me, the rightful owner, saving me precious gasoline.
armchair lawyer here...in a way i don't think it was theft since you paid the correct amount so nothing was stolen but customers can't really do that and i'm sure there's ways to make it illegal.

there's an unspoken agreement between businesses and customers where the business has to ring up the item, otherwise it's "theft". it's like being in someone's house and taking their food and leaving money on the counter without their approval. you paid what the item was worth, but it's still theft.
I disagree with this notion as there is no "for sale" sign in the house. The store has items displayed, with prices: obviously they are for sale. I don't believe Walmart has an actual for sale sign. Maybe a hidden one somewhere for legal purposes?

Yet it is a de facto (in fact, for non-lawyers) agreement that the items in a Walmart are, in fact, for sale.

But do you HAVE TO wait in the line? No. No!

Unspoken agreements should be done away with; people should be forced to comprehend 900 page legal documents to purchase tomatoes. Or, they can simply accept my 2 dollars and say thank you! Well I guess they can't, because I left. But they can think it.

If everyone did this there would be no unemployment

Back