Is there 'Basics' in BJJ class..I'm forgetting alot of stuff !

100% yes.

Since I started using one, and putting in basic reps of triangles, armbars and kimuras every day (plus a set amount of time to just experiment and chain ideas together), my game has noticeably improved.

Just in case you give a shit, I made my own - after a thread on here inspired me. I took an old hoodie, gaffa taped a boxing glove into the hood, rolled up a large towel and fed it through both arms, then just padded the rest out with old clothes, then sealing the sleeves and bottom of the hoodie with gaffa tape. I couldn't be arsed making the legs, but the torso is weighty and sturdy enough (I packed it out with a shitload of clothes) to provide useful drilling.

Someone on that other thread pointed out how hard it would be to find a partner willing to drill a technique 100 times on a regular basis. Not such a problem with a grappling dummy.

Nice setup for a practice dummy. Chinese Wooden Dummy was developed for the same reason. "It never complains, it never gets tired and it is always ready to practice when you are" is the saying we had about it in Kung-fu.

100% yes.

Since I started using one, and putting in basic reps of triangles, armbars and kimuras every day (plus a set amount of time to just experiment and chain ideas together), my game has noticeably improved.

Just in case you give a shit, I made my own - after a thread on here inspired me. I took an old hoodie, gaffa taped a boxing glove into the hood, rolled up a large towel and fed it through both arms, then just padded the rest out with old clothes, then sealing the sleeves and bottom of the hoodie with gaffa tape. I couldn't be arsed making the legs, but the torso is weighty and sturdy enough (I packed it out with a shitload of clothes) to provide useful drilling.

Someone on that other thread pointed out how hard it would be to find a partner willing to drill a technique 100 times on a regular basis. Not such a problem with a grappling dummy.

BRILLIANT. Pics plz?

I wonder that the lack of resistance of the dummy will affect your actual rolling sessions. False?

BRILLIANT. Pics plz?

I wonder that the lack of resistance of the dummy will affect your actual rolling sessions. False?

Often times at least when I drill, they're mostly without resistance.. The resistance comes in the rolling

The biggest fundamentals to me are frame work, posture and staying off the flat of your back.

When I was younger, I used to take karate and we used to drill the basics every single class (punching, kicking, stances etc).

In BJJ class, for me there seems to be no Basics. We usually drill 2 techniques of the day for about 20 minutes...So it's 10 mins for me and 10 for my partner...But I find myself forgetting the techniques because it's not enough time drilling it...

And the next class, we learn new techniques. So what I'm getting at is that I don't get enough drilling time for one technique because the next day, we learn something new.

In every BJJ class you learn something different and since there is no drilling of the same technique at every class, I find myself forgetting alot of the techinques....

I was wondering if a grappling dummy would help..

A couple things you can do to help gain the muscle memory and repetition of the moves you learned that day is(assuming you stay after class and spar like we do at my gym) take the next 20 minutes to drill what you learned in class. Or Plan with a training partner to get to class early and drill what you learned the class before.

When I was younger, I used to take karate and we used to drill the basics every single class (punching, kicking, stances etc).

In BJJ class, for me there seems to be no Basics. We usually drill 2 techniques of the day for about 20 minutes...So it's 10 mins for me and 10 for my partner...But I find myself forgetting the techniques because it's not enough time drilling it...

And the next class, we learn new techniques. So what I'm getting at is that I don't get enough drilling time for one technique because the next day, we learn something new.

In every BJJ class you learn something different and since there is no drilling of the same technique at every class, I find myself forgetting alot of the techinques....

It depends on where you train. We have two basics programs, intermediate classes and advanced classes where I train.

What Portland said about taking 20 mins before or after class and drilling is good advice.

we have a basics class 2 nights a week at my school. i go there and im top rank as 4 stripe white lol but ppl are missing out, the class is the ish, ive learned so many very practical things that i can start applying immediately.

i think even when im blue im going to hit up this class. basics are where it is at and from there i add alot of the stuff i learn in the other classes.

we have a basics class 2 nights a week at my school. i go there and im top rank as 4 stripe white lol but ppl are missing out, the class is the ish, ive learned so many very practical things that i can start applying immediately.

i think even when im blue im going to hit up this class. basics are where it is at and from there i add alot of the stuff i learn in the other classes.

My school does the same, and it's provided me with the moves I employ successfully in the non-beginner class's rolling sessions. It always feels so satisfying to pull off the move we drilled the day before in the beginner class against a live opponent.

my school has started doing a basics class on fridays now, i'll be attending it as well as regular classes. i find that i am learning so much at once that i have a difficult time retaining it, but i find that while rolling that i do bits and pieces of the drill depending on the situation that i am confronted with. 9 times out of 10 i get reversed or whatnot but i am sure that i am getting better

also, i know that there are some people that frown on gracie barra but you can guy the gracie barra fundamentals dvd which is 16 weeks worth of basic fundamentals that are set up as a fundamental that you could work on each day including a situation to use them in. you may not be able to drill them with another person or have the room, but at least you can watch the videos over and over and over again as you please

Gracie Barra Wear - #13792 Gracie Barra Fundamentals Curriculum 4 DVD set

or you can buy it here

Budovideos.com - Gracie Barra Fundamentals Curriculum 4 DVD Set with Marcio Feitosa

I know exactly how you feel. When I was wrestling in high school, we learned the same basic moves every year. By the 2nd or 3rd year I could do all of these moves pretty effectively, but even us experienced varsity wrestlers were still required to drill them over and over again. I've probably done a double-leg takedown thousands of times during my wrestling career and even years later, I can still hit it very cleanly. I don't feel the same way with most of my BJJ moves, and I know it's because I haven't yet put in the amount of reps required to get the moves to their full potential. I kind of wish BJJ practice was similar, where we drill the most fundamental/basic/high-percentage moves over and over until we can do them perfectly without thinking. I think the reason why most BJJ classes teach in the way you described is because not everyone wants to keep going over the same basic moves over and over again, even if they will benefit from it, especially the more experienced guys. My instructor told us that he'll just show us the moves, but it's our responsibility to drill these moves on our own time (after class) if we realistically want to incorporate these moves into our game. I know I can't REALLY learn any moves by doing it 5 or so reps like how we do during the instructional class. If I really want to add a move to my game, I'll take some time after class to drill it at least 10 times or so (should be 20+ but I'm usually feeling too beat from the live rolling). To start, I would suggest searching the web for the most basic/high percentage moves from each position and drilling each of them like crazy until they become second nature. Even guys like Marcelo Garcia uses a lot of basic moves, but he does them with perfect technique.

Its just like any other class, sometimes you have to do some homework. Unfortunately I don't have the room in my apartment to drill :( I suppose I could make some room though

Write down what you learn, drill before/after class and use open mats for that as well.

I wish we had a basics class. I actually think I would go only to that class and then just drill and roll at open mats (although we only have one open mat and most people want to kickbox). We've learned a lot of cutting edge stuff in class like the kimura trap and tornado guard, but that stuff takes so much time to get good at. I'm actually at the point where going to class is a waste of time. The classes I go to run from 7:30 to 8:30 and we don't roll until 8:25. when class ends at 8:30, 95 percent of the class leaves and I'm stuck rolling with the same two guys: one is about 300 pounds and the other is a purple belt who smashes me and never lets me work. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually staring to hate BJJ because I'm so frustrated.

Back