Is there 'Basics' in BJJ class..I'm forgetting alot of stuff !

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I was younger, I used to take karate and we used to drill the basics every single class (punching, kicking, stances etc).

In BJJ class, for me there seems to be no Basics. We usually drill 2 techniques of the day for about 20 minutes...So it's 10 mins for me and 10 for my partner...But I find myself forgetting the techniques because it's not enough time drilling it...

And the next class, we learn new techniques. So what I'm getting at is that I don't get enough drilling time for one technique because the next day, we learn something new.

In every BJJ class you learn something different and since there is no drilling of the same technique at every class, I find myself forgetting alot of the techinques....

I was wondering if a grappling dummy would help..

We drill something different every class. I find that some techniques I grasp and hold on to. Some don't really work for me and my body type and they tend to get lost. I think muscle memory is the key. Some things I think I forget and when I find myself in the position I start to naturally respond with it.

Yeah, that is one of my issues with BJJ is the lack of structure. It's not like in karate where you have to know X kick and Y punch for this belt.

I'd create a log and write down what you went over. Notes, details and then you can go back online and look over instructional or ask your instructor.

It really has nothing to do with BJJ specifically. Quite honestly, you're just receiving poor instruction if you're doing something different every class.

At places with better instruction, it's common to drill the same set of techniques over and over again for weeks or months at a time. That way, as you guys have pointed out, you actually internalize the techniques and are able to pull them off easily against resisting opponents.

This is definitely an issue for me. I started BJJ a little later in life so my muscle memory is slower. In the end I would simply stay afterwards with a buddy and go through stuff I felt I needed to work on...

I keep a log like was mentioned earlier - If I want to go back and remember what we did, I look at my notes. I'll also ask my instructors if they can work with me on something particular if I feel the need.

Remember that BJJ forms to the person doing it, not vice-versa. What works for you may not work for others.

Some of the DVDs and Books out there are good at coverings things from the ground up. I've been reading the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Theory and Technique book.

If you don't have a basics class where you can regularly review basic techniques and principles, then you can take notes and drill before class and during open mat (if you have open mat at your school, some don't).

If you show up to class early, grab a partner and drill the basic movements over and over again with that partner, gradually increasing resistance as you gain familiarity with the techniques. Positional sparring is also a useful tool for developing a good foundation in the different positions that you learn.

I get the feeling there are a lot of McBJJ courses out there... If you're not learning basics every day, you're not learning it properly... But the again, most people are not in it for learning technique, etc...

95% of Jiu Jitsu are the fundamentals... Armbars, passing, mounting, americanas, kimuras, guillotines, RNC's.. this stuff is what you see 90% of the time.

Don't stress what you do or don't do in class.

A: most jiu jitsu schoos teach on a pattern, so in 6 months or so you'll see it again.

B: 99.99% of jiu jitsu is learned in position drilling and live training. Your instructor could demonstrate technique till he passed out and it wouldn't help you one iota until your actually trying to pull it off against a resisting opponent.

C: Jiu Jitsu is the most individual thing on earth. I don't think I've ever been able to pull off a move exactly the way someone else does. So just learn it organically

D: Go to youtube. If you are truly 100%lost on the theory behind a concept, there are plenty of instructionals to help you. That was the hardes thing for me to learn in jiu jitsu coming from tma's; don't try to learn a series of individual moves just learn the general theoery behind it so you can survive in similar situations. Instead of learning a RNC escape, clock choke escape, bow and arrow escape, reverse ezequiel escape; learn the theory that beats them all: defend neck and get back to the ground.

This is one of the things I really like about our school.

We have a beginners curriculum with 20 classes. We make all new students go through each of the 20 classes 2 times before they are allowed to move up to the intermediate classes. But one of the great things is that many of the blue, purple and even some of the brown belts still regularly attend the beginner classes to sort of lead by example and work on the fundamentals.

I know having to help with the instruction on these classes has been extremely valuable to me as far as keeping the basics in the front of my mind.

We also have a few classes every week that are just drills classes where we have limited instruction but basically work a major position the whole class. We'll get 20+ students in each of the drill classes. We rotate one line of students and the other line will be stationary so you roll with someone new every 5 minutes. No rest in between rounds and we just drill a position with a live roll.

I think every school should have a standard beginners curriculum.

Our instructor actually addressed this the other day. Basically he said that the things that you remember are the techniques that seem to come naturally, which come naturally because they are suited to a person of your size, height, etc. So, as far as techniques go, do your best to remember, but even if you don't, you'll re-learn it eventually.

my club has good 'basics' classes. its not a beginners class, its for everyone.

Don't you drill armbars, triangles, kimuras, omoplatas for a few minutes every class during warmups?

If you need more practice with a technique, it's as simple as asking someone staying after class to drill with you. There are usually a few guys in most clubs that stay a bit after class to get some extra rolling or technique in.

I learned loads from higher belts deigning to teach me and roll with me after the class has ended and most people leave the gym.

your classes are only 20 minutes long? maybe if you're learning a single technique, this would be okay, but i think you should be learning a number of different techniques from a single position in a class that lasts well over 20 minutes, where you can start seeing the similarities between techniques, which basically turn into "basics".

your classes are only 20 minutes long? maybe if you're learning a single technique, this would be okay, but i think you should be learning a number of different techniques from a single position in a class that lasts well over 20 minutes, where you can start seeing the similarities between techniques, which basically turn into "basics".

he meant they spend 20 minutes per technique

When I was younger, I used to take karate and we used to drill the basics every single class (punching, kicking, stances etc).

In BJJ class, for me there seems to be no Basics. We usually drill 2 techniques of the day for about 20 minutes...So it's 10 mins for me and 10 for my partner...But I find myself forgetting the techniques because it's not enough time drilling it...

And the next class, we learn new techniques. So what I'm getting at is that I don't get enough drilling time for one technique because the next day, we learn something new.

In every BJJ class you learn something different and since there is no drilling of the same technique at every class, I find myself forgetting alot of the techinques....

frankly, either you aren't paying attention or you need to find a new instructor.

100% yes.

Since I started using one, and putting in basic reps of triangles, armbars and kimuras every day (plus a set amount of time to just experiment and chain ideas together), my game has noticeably improved.

Just in case you give a shit, I made my own - after a thread on here inspired me. I took an old hoodie, gaffa taped a boxing glove into the hood, rolled up a large towel and fed it through both arms, then just padded the rest out with old clothes, then sealing the sleeves and bottom of the hoodie with gaffa tape. I couldn't be arsed making the legs, but the torso is weighty and sturdy enough (I packed it out with a shitload of clothes) to provide useful drilling.

Someone on that other thread pointed out how hard it would be to find a partner willing to drill a technique 100 times on a regular basis. Not such a problem with a grappling dummy.

We have a basics class that keeps repeating itself after so many classes (not sure how many). I've actually been meaning to try and take the fundamentals class on like a Saturday (we reviews all techniques learned over the week). It's really early in the morning and Saturday is one of my only days where I sleep at night (work overnight).

Back