Is There A Need For World Champions In MMA?

It's getting damn close to a monopoly.

BTW, like whose boss? And what does that have do do with monopolies?

its a figure of speech, anyway i dont think it is a monopoly. It doesnt have full control of the market, but i do see that it can control pricing. Id say its more of a oligopoly because i think bellator, wsof, ufc, and maybe another company like one fc or ksw brings in the most profit over atleast 90% (just a very rough guess)

Or if somehow they could have it in the Olympics....which I know will never happen. But instead of fighting for UFC/bellator/etc, you fight for your country, J Jones, AMerica, Silva Brazil, etc. You get to win a gold metal and honor your country. It would be bad ass, I would watch it.

You're a goddamn liar.

Here is the exact quote from my post which you referred to: "In The UFC almost every PPV is in The USA and half the PPVs are either in Las Vegas or Los Angeles."

Your poor grammar made his statement partially correct. What you meant to say was "In The UFC almost every PPV is in The USA and half of those PPVs are either in Las Vegas or Los Angeles."

its a figure of speech, anyway i dont think it is a monopoly. It doesnt have full control of the market, but i do see that it can control pricing. Id say its more of a oligopoly because i think bellator, wsof, ufc, and maybe another company like one fc or ksw brings in the most profit over atleast 90% (just a very rough guess)

I don't know if UF can control pricing. If a promoter with money were to come along and build a promotion the size of what PRIDE was, or even close, but priced his PPVs at $35 things could get interesting. The reasoning behind charging only $35 for PPVs would be that although the profit per PPV would be lower, more PPVs would be bought so it would be a volume approach - the higher volume of PPV buys would make up for the lower profit per PPV buy.

They should all be titles by promotion

Having a "World" championship in 19 different promotions devalues the term championship imo

The UFC champion is, for all intensive purposes, the world champion

I don't know if UF can control pricing. If a promoter with money were to come along and build a promotion the size of what PRIDE was, or even close, but priced his PPVs at $35 things could get interesting. The reasoning behind charging only $35 for PPVs would be that although the profit per PPV would be lower, more PPVs would be bought so it would be a volume approach - the higher volume of PPV buys would make up for the lower profit per PPV buy.

:rolleyes: sounds so easy... :rolleyes:

you think another organization could grow to be the size of what PRIDE was today? who is this promoter a billionaire that decided he really wants to spend ALL of his money for the off-chance that he is successful.

also, $35 ppvs wouldn't make people buy non ufc... they would never even get ufc numbers with the lower price...

I hope you aren't in business..

Maybe right now, but it wasn't so long ago that PRIDE had more talent than The UFC. It's an ever changing landscape in MMA because the sport is so relatively new compared to boxing for example. In boxing you saw the champion of one promotion fight the champion of another promotion so unless MMA remains stagnant with no new major promotions coming along, it would generate a tremendous amount of money to see UFC Champions defend against the equivalent of what the PRIDE CHampions were in the 90's and early 2000's.

Lesnar vs Mir with a co main event of GSP vs. Alves at UFC 100 got 1.6 or 1.7 million PPV buys. Think what an event with Couture or Lesnar vs Fedor and Wanderlei vs. Chuck Liddell could have made.

1.6?

you know what else would have generated alot aof money? floyd v manny.

thinking about the impact of a one off event isn't the same as thinking about the impact of cross promotion on the actual promotions.

not worth discussing.

Everyone knows the best are in the UFC. If you can get that belt, you don't need others. Champs from other orgs can't make it past the UFC gatekeepers many times.

Everyone knows the best are in the UFC. If you can get that belt, you don't need others. Champs from other orgs can't make it past the UFC gatekeepers many times.

Indeed, look at Vinny Magalhaes

Magalhaes.jpg

M-1 Champ, then 1-2 in the UFC.

Though I think some other champs/fighters in other orgs might fare a little better. Hell we got Werdum fighting for the UFC HW title now.

I picture the World Champions defending in Las Vegas, then maybe Rio De Jainero, Tokyo, Mexico City, Toronto, Paris, etc.

an mma event in Paris is completely impossible

That's a bad idea that would cut down the numbers of jobs available for MMA fighters.

it would make the ufc belt more valuable and desired and it wouldnt be like boxing where there are 100 organisations and 100 champions

I wouldn't mind if there were tournaments each year.
Even for top contender.
I just would love to see the guy who earns it fight for the title, not someone Zuffa picks.

Or the WEC and Strikeforce boys come rolling in and take over...
Bendo, Pettis become champs.
Cerrone, Melendez, Thomson, Lawler, Lombard, Woodley, Shields, Werdum, and Bigfoot all become contenders.

It works both ways.

i think the ufc belts are the world championship belts. they probably have over 90% of the world's best talent.

the ufc shouldn't promote other promoters. doesn't make marketing sense.

lol the UFC is the "World Title" genius. I can't believe you haven't figured it out yet.

Instead of The UFC Championship Titles being the most prestigious titles in MMA, should there be actual World Championship Titles for all the weight classes where The World Champions have to defend against not only UFC fighters but fighters from other promotions as well?

These would be World Champions that would travel to defend their titles. In The UFC almost every PPV is in The USA and half the PPVs are either in Las Vegas or Los Angeles. I picture the World Champions defending in Las Vegas, then maybe Rio De Jainero, Tokyo, Mexico City, Toronto, Paris, etc.

No.

why would Dana want to give other promotion fighters the exposure? and what happens if the UFC fighter loses? Dana would flip.

Inb4 hipsters say Alvarez beats Pettis
You must not have watched much of Eddie's fights then. I hardly think it's guaranteed, and maybe he has to get dropped/rocked before he can really hit his rhythm, but he's still a superior boxer and wrestler to Pettis.

That could be a FOTY contender, easily.

Back