• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is the Poatan shamanic spirit rituals the most bizarre prefight talking point ever?

I practiced shamanism quite deeply for about 5 years or so. I agree and disagree with your take. It is just about beliefs and obviously somebody praying to win is similar to using shamanic ritual but there are some differences

Shamanism trains you exceptionally well into getting into altered states of trance so from that perspective it's a much deeper spiritual practice than anybody who just says casual prayers on their knees for a couple minutes.

The shamanic trance is a little bit like lucid dreaming for the most part. Your body goes to sleep but your mind stays awake and you go into what's called the other world where you meet spirits to become your guides and teachers and also where you can find power and abilities. That's a very powerful and effective tool for psychological transformation at the very least.

But I don't think it's fair to ask him not to use his spirituality in it anymore than I think it would be fair for an internal Kung Fu practitioner to be asked not to use the entire modality and focus of of that system which is of a similar ilk but with a different approach.

The problem for jiri though is that he believes in it and so it's probably going to affect him for the negative. Whereas if somebody just had no faith whatsoever in what the other guy's doing it would have no effect other than just increasing the practitioner's focus a bit.

Thank you for this, I had no idea it was so deep and could be mind altering to that point. Really appreciate your reply, will look more into it without a doubt!

There are no shamanic spirits of the tribe. There's God, the saints/mystics He may choose to act through, and then there's the demonic. If Alex is having some seance thing and is harnessing something supernatural from it, then he's literally just practicing witchcraft and getting supernatural assistance from the demonic. Gisele used to do similar shit on Brady before the Super Bowls. Of course, she thought she was practicing "white" magic or something, but there's no such thing. All magic is evil.
So you're saying ancestral spirits don't exist.

magic involving nature and animals is inherently evil as well

Interdasting 🤔

Those darn evil devil worshipping natives with their love of nature

Iono fam I'm gettin' kinda scared fi real black magic ain't no joke 🚫🃏 I can see where him comin from tho him just worried aboot Poatan him know u haffi pay di cost at sum point 🗣️📠

Poatan already paid di cost once when bro got slept by #Izzy ting was mad embarrassing but he got di LHW title later...Jiri prolly ain't want di win like dat so him say nah bredrin no more shamans might manifest di HW title dream but gotta lose to Jiri first as payment typa ting that's why him got a broken toe last tayum had to cheat wif di foul cancel Jamahill's win was actually destiny bro 🚫🧢 I agree w/Jiri can't keep duckin' fate

I tink Poatan ok tho Izzy loss shulda earned bro a coupon or sumtin fi real he'll prolly win Jiri trippin' more den likely

Thank you for this, I had no idea it was so deep and could be mind altering to that point. Really appreciate your reply, will look more into it without a doubt!
There's a book by Michael Harner called way of the shaman. That would be well worth reading.

It is practical in that it shows you how to enter that trance but it also comes at it from an overview not based on one particular tribes religious views but just boiling it all down to the specific techniques and approaches that are used by all of the different forms.

Well Cannonier talked about using power crystals and shit, Izzy also talked about voodoo and using Nigerian juju etc LOL.

MMA fighters can be fucking weirdos.
Its not just MMA fighters

Its alot of celebrity and famous people

It's not weird that Jiri believes. It's weird that he's asking Pereira to not involve his higher power.

Not sure why Jiri is making such a big deal out of this. It's the same as his samurai schtick, Muay Thai, or fighters thanking God for helping them flatline their opponent. Just less annoying.

Poatan is like the most humble guy ever, yet he has this uncanny ability to live rent-free in the head of whoever he's fighting.

This was a joke according to Russian speakers.

Like when Volkov said he brought a hair stylist to his fight. The translators do not ever account for sarcasm.

Which is why I said "allegedly". But you never know. The Russkies have had a fascination with parapsycholgy....

Reactions: HHJ
I mean I'll just say it:

You guys know in the Senegalese wrestling where they pour stuff on each other with spiritual practitioners to stop black magic before they wrestle?

Yeah if Jiri and Poatan start doing that this week and before the fight I'll honestly be 2000% hyped. Bring on the ancient hex magic!

For years we've seen videos of Poatan dressed in tribal clothing and facepaint, with a circle of people dancing around him and chanting.
Those chama sherdog fans are a curious bunch ;)

Nah you guys can laugh all you want but I was able to summon a fireball using ancient Shaman rituals. Trust me bro it works
I too summon fireballs and don’t even need dark magic. Gimme a few beefy five layers and some Baja blast and ill summon a dbz spirit bomb

• Haha
Reactions: YSB
You know what? Fighters with more common religious beliefs are boring. I much prefer when they accuse each other have actually using magic.

I doubt it. They went way too deep for it to have been a joke.

More likely they were just pulling away from it because of the backlash.

No, it absolutely was a joke by Voronov. It was obvious in English, let alone Russian.

Yeah, reconnecting with your culture is "bad magic"

But sitting in a shed "praying" with no food or water is good.

Back