Is The Mayweather "Buisiness First, Fight Later" Mentality Rubbing Off On MMA?

Soul Slasher**

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The one thing that has been creating an issue with match making based solely on ranking and who should be in line for top contender spot is the fact that the Champions in MMA gets pay of shares from PPV buys.

GSP knows his fight with Diaz would create more money for him than against Hendricks. Silva haters says that he should fight Weildman next. But all the hype and talk has been focusing on Silva having superfights, which would be big money. Which is why Silva prefers a superfight against GSP, who is even a bigger draw than Jones. But would also still fight Jones if Machida does not win the title.

Ironically enough, the whole process of MMA negotiating and fight avoidance started in 2007 with Fedor and Couture, the same year Mayweather started becoming well known in the MMA world for his trash talk thus his reputation for avoiding fights because of him chasing bigger draws would also become well known in the MMA world. This tactic was of course use beforehand by Sugar Ray Leonard when he was avoiding Marvin Hagler for a while before the fight finally happened in the 80s

Funny enough about this is how Fedor asked Reem to do a blood test back in 2010. The same thing Mayweather asked of Pacquiao.

Mayweather's intention to fight Pac Man was with the intent of making a purse of 100 million dollars, which would had been the first in history.

Basically fighters are humans beings with families and no matter what, money is what makes the world go around. One cannot blame a fighter for not being different than any other man when it comes to money. But I think at the same time, this approach in MMA may lead to ranked championship fights and even superfights from not happening.

Last edited:
They should; each fighter should and will have their interests as a priority.

Capitalism, working as intended.

Yes. It's why I watch WMMA more intently than MMA. Ladies leave it all out there because they know they need fans. Fellas are picking up checks half the time. I can't wholly blame them. You gotta feed the family, but I'd rather watch the ladies.

There's a reason the undercards are becoming more consistently exciting than the main cards. Guys with their back against the wall want to prove they belong, and will take chances. Guys fight for a shot or the belt will only fight to not lose.

(And yes, there are notable exceptions, I'm speaking on the majority)

hmm I guess it's understandable how you can confuse Hendricks and Hominick but they're like 2 weight classes apart its funny to think about.

Gotta take the good with the bad as the sport grows.

I have a hard time with people claiming Ray was avoiding Hagler. I mean, he did wait until he saw Marvin look vulnerable (against Mugabe) but Ray was a natural welter and Marvin is a top 4 MW all time.

To answer the question, though, these are prize fighters. Money will always come first.

So we get the fights we all want, instead of being forced title matches based on some arbitrary ranking...sounds like a win to me.

I don't know how I got them two confused for that moment while typing.

I get it, I do shit like that all the time.

Edit: I agree 100% These guys have short careers and few opportunities to make money. They have to focus on maximizing their marketability and capitalizing on the chances they get to cash in. Noble athletes often end up much poorer then they could have been. Although, as I type that I think that money isn't everything, and maybe some athletes don't care about cash as much as others.

it cool there just trying to make the most out of each match if dont make dollars it dont make sense

I don't see a "shift in mentality" - it was always about money.

I'm not a big fan of Georges but I think you have it a little backwards. Diaz wanted to fight him. He wanted to get paid. He called him out after the BJ Penn fight and said he was scared right in front of everybody. If I were Georges, that's the fight I'd want too. I think it's personal at this point.

Hendricks has that big left hand and good wrestling. Diaz has very solid boxing and he's dangerous off his back. I see Hendricks getting grinded out to a decision loss should he fight GSP. I think Diaz has more ways to win and is a more dangerous fight for Georges.

And lol at GSP ducking anybody. The only fight that clearly doesn't interest him is Anderson.

I have a hard time with people claiming Ray was avoiding Hagler. I mean, he did wait until he saw Marvin look vulnerable (against Mugabe) but Ray was a natural welter and Marvin is a top 4 MW all time.

To answer the question, though, these are prize fighters. Money will always come first.

You don't avoid someone not in your weight class. Is Bendo avoiding GSP?

They should; each fighter should and will have their interests as a priority.

Capitalism, working as intended.

This.
These guys get punched in the face, they need to pick fights intelligently

Back