• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is 'The Contest' the greatest sitcom episode of all time?

Cherry Brigand

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Seinfeld season 4 ep. 11

'Jerry challenges George, Kramer and Elaine to pool their money in a contest of self-denial. Meanwhile, an excited Elaine looks forward to her date with hunky John Kennedy, Jr, and a guilt-ridden George gets an eyeful when he visits his whining mother in the hospital.'

It's early enough in the series before 'glamorous elaine' and Kramer became a caricature of himself.

Live audience also enhances the best moments.
Just magnificent.

I don't know if it's the greatest (I maybe prefer "The Opposite" s5e22), but one of the best for sure. Only Larry could pull off something like that. He made an entire episode about masturbation and not once did they mention anything sexual at all. Amazing.

So many just from his show, but that was a top 10 for sure. MAn just off the top of my head--The Jerk Store, The Chinese Restaurant, The Hamptoms--Shrinkage, Kenny Rogers Chicken, Fussili Jerry, Soup Nazi, The Garage, Marine Biologist, Kramerica, Top of The Muffin, so many...

D6yb.gif

It's good, and was very clever how they managed to get an episode about jerking off on the air. To do that tastefully enough to appease the censors is quite a feat. Don't think it's best episode of Seinfeld, let alone all sitcoms, though.

The greatest in context of it's importance, likely. Greatest as in funniest, no. It was a great episode though.

The context though, apparently, ratings at the point weren't all that great and they were apparently considering pulling the plug on Seinfeld (according to a special I watched about it) and that single episode hit ratings they never hit before, and it was all up from that day forward as the top rated comedy in that era.

The story goes that Larry and Jerry wrote that scene at 2am the morning before taping before a live audience. They took it in, handed it to Jason Alexander and told him he had 15 minutes to learn and memorize it. Alexander nodded, took the script and fifteen minutes later killed it in one take. My favorite scene in sitcom history.

The story goes that Larry and Jerry wrote that scene at 2am the morning before taping before a live audience. They took it in, handed it to Jason Alexander and told him he had 15 minutes to learn and memorize it. Alexander nodded, took the script and fifteen minutes later killed it in one take. My favorite scene in sitcom history.
The goat scene indeed. Apparently they didn’t get a laugh big enough from the live audience, that’s why they wrote this scene (almost) at the go.
Jason Alexander really is an incredibly underrated actor.

Back