Is strength relative to a person's size?

Bigger man can do more work in the same amount of time than smaler one.

Bigger man can do more work in the same amount of time than smaler one.

I would say the bigger man has potential to do more work.

TS try using a Sinclair Formula

The Sinclair Total Calculator | The Fit Blog

You would get 140.51
He would get 146.72

Based on the clean and jerk, he is stronger than you when factoring bodyweight

It takes the deminishing return to stregth from an increase in bodyweight into consideration.

http://www.columbusweightlifting.org/2007/ARNOLD_FORMULA_FINAL.pdf

"Hey guys, I can do an exercise with 75% of the weight my friend can and he's heavier than me. What does that say about strength relative to size?"
NOTHING!!!! add 50 lbs on a dip belt then try and do your muscle up, you'll understand how much stronger your friend has to be.

That doesn't make sense. You didn't consider the additional muscle mass he has.

He doesn't put on 1 kg of muscle for each kg of weight, that should be obvious unless you're on steroids.

Just do the weighted pullups and dips, then come back.

He doesn't put on 1 kg of muscle for each kg of weight, that should be obvious unless you're on steroids.

Just do the weighted pullups and dips, then come back.

Well it's not going to be all fat either, your logic is flawed.

Maybe it has to do with endurance. I'm pretty sure body weight exercises are for endurance, so you just might have more endurance then them, but you're not stronger.

Your friend is stronger.

You can try and rationalize it anyway you want. He is still stronger.

Its kind of been covered but relative strength only applies to weight classes for PL or OL meets or BW exercises. Absolute strength means someone who can Deadlift 500 lbs at 250 lbs is stronger than someone who deadlifts 400 at 160.

In any case, don't worry about your friends bragging. Get stronger, better, faster, etc for yourself and perhaps you'll surpass them in both relative and absolute strength.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back