• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Sterling being presumptuous?

Sterling deserves it, but lets take a step back first. BW has been a gigantic mess for a long time. Cruz's injuries. TJ's PEDs. Cejudo retiring. Then you had the Yan/Sterling DQ. He finally unified the title with all those guys who basically left the title without losing, then lost his next fight with Sean. He deserves it, but fans deserve for the division to move forward.

Especially when Sterling isn't going to stay, Merab has been waiting for his buddy to move. There are many guys in the division ready for title shots for us not to jam it up, especially if Aljo/Sean go 1-1 and need another fight.

Well he doesn’t deserve it but there’s precedent where much less deserving have gotten one.

Cody Garbrandt with 0 defenses got an immediate rematch after being finished with strikes.

Weili Zhang with 1 defense got an immediate rematch after getting KO’d in under 90 seconds.

Deiveson Figuieredo with 1 defense got an immediate rematch after getting finished.

I mean he has a right to assume he will get a rematch, most dominant champions that are in the running for GOAT of their division got instant rematches.
Sterling was neither dominant nor running for being the GOAT of his division. His title run consists of two split decisions that could have gone either way and one TKO win against a one-armed TJ.

i think he knows he doesn't deserve a rematch. But champ fights are where the money is.

he does technically have the longest UFC BW reign... but you'd have to ignore Cruz's WEC fights. And ignore the asterisks on Aljos fights with yan, cejudo, and dillashaw.

The reality is Aljo's resume is meh and he doesn't sell. The UFC want O'malley as champ. His biggest threat is Merab and Dana sounds like he wants to fire that guy.
I mostly agree but what was the asterisk with the Cejudo win?

Exactly. Dana wants Sean as champ. Dana is absolutely terrified of rebooking Sean against the guy he KO'd in the 2nd.

This is of course why the UFC is instead seemingly angling towards Chito who meanwhile KO'd Sean in the 1st.

james-franco-wait-what.gif
That's why they rushed Aljo into defending against Sean. And the Chito loss gets listed as TKO but it really was due to injury, I'm sure they see that as a much easier stylistic matchup.

He got finished by strikes. Decisive victory.

What's the basis for an immediate rematch? Merab seems to buy into it too, saying he'll sit and wait for his shot.

Time was a losing champ got a top 5 guy and if they had a dominant win, chances were they became #1 contender afterwards

Entitlement nowadays is embarrassing
Look, generally speaking I get what you're saying.

But practically speaking, that era you cling to so fondly has passed.

Most champs with more than one defense request an immediate rematch these days. Many get them. That makes it a systemic problem (or 'situation', if you don't think it's a problem). And blaming 1 fighter for a systemic issue is shit logic.

Sherdog is full of guys that don't complain when a fighter they like does something, and then shit on a fighter they don't like for doing the exact same thing. Don't be that guy.

These immediate rematches in the UFC are a bit like the UFC Hall of Fame.

Everyone is getting in the HOF (unless they once said something negative about Dana), so when asked if someone should get in, you'll get a bunch of "well, that dude and that dude got in, so might as well throw this dude in, he's at least as accomplished as those dudes"

Now that a bunch of champions got immediate rematches after losing, and not just losing close fights or very controversial decisions (like Shogun vs Machida, now that one of course deserved an immediate do-over), then why wouldn't everyone get a rematch?

The problem of course will be the outrage once someone finally put his foot down and refuses to put another journeyman in the HoF, or refuse to give an ex-champ his mandatory immediate rematch...

We'll get a bunch of "the champion is obviously running away scared because he already lost to this guy"
or "wow the UFC isn't even trying to hide their blatant racism anymore, I wonder if he would have gotten an immediate rematch if he was didn't have his (dana) white privilege????" <DCrying>
or "wow they aren't even trying to hide their anti-white woke leftist garbage pro-LGBTQ policy, if he was black they would have immediately given him his reparations rematch, can't believe Trump helped build this sport SMH" <WhitmanDefeat>

It's going to be messy, but someone will eventually need to bite the bullet to put a stop to this...

stop asking stupid questions lol, pretty much anyone with as many consecutive top 5 wins as Sterling gets a rematch

The basis, is that everyone else gets one even those who deserve it much less. thats the basis and anyone can run with it now because of the precedence that has been set.

Don't Omit that he had 3 top 5 wins in a row before that first title fight. That matters.

Immediate rematches are typically for controversial finishes, fan favorites, or long serving champions.

The finish may have been early but wasn't controversial, Aljo is pretty hated, and he's only been champ for 2 years and the reign was marred with asterisks. There's always exceptions but I doubt Dana is gonna give one for him when they don't get along.

Nah. No real controversy, lots of other contenders... and Dana doesn't like him.

What's the basis for an immediate rematch? Merab seems to buy into it too, saying he'll sit and wait for his shot.

Time was a losing champ got a top 5 guy and if they had a dominant win, chances were they became #1 contender afterwards

Champs always want instant rematches these days its so annoying. Some of them obviously don't deserve it, and Sterling is a perfect example of that. Dude ran in all wide open against a Sean a great counter striker. His approach to this fight was terrible.

There's no criteria so the UFC can do what they want.

Champion X gets decisively finished in their first defense ... REMATCH
Champion Y gets decisively finished in their first defense ... NO REMATCH
Champion X has several defenses then loses via stoppage ... REMATCH
Champion Y has several defenses then loses via stoppage ... NO REMATCH

Problem is Merab and Sterling are buddies. Merab is the obvious next contender but he doesnt want to fight for the title until his boy is out of the title picture. Strange situation. Sterling doesn't deserve it but might need to see him lose twice before Merab will take the title fight. Or they could just ignore both of them and give it to Sandhagen. That would be a good fight.

Merab nuthugs and ducks aljo. Aljo FAKED a DQ and won a title. Then after FAKING he paraded around with a title he never earned in a fight he got beat to death in.

Congratulations to Suga for putting him out of his misery and from boring fans out of arena with packback crotch sniff.

I guess it's a warning for future fighters faking to win a DQ. ITS HIS own fault being so boring and not intelligently defending himself.

There's no criteria so the UFC can do what they want.

Champion X gets decisively finished in their first defense ... REMATCH
Champion Y gets decisively finished in their first defense ... NO REMATCH
Champion X has several defenses then loses via stoppage ... REMATCH
Champion Y has several defenses then loses via stoppage ... NO REMATCH

When a fighter FAKES a DQ TITLE win, he gets what he deserves. I wish Mark waved it off before the right landed.

When a fighter FAKES a DQ TITLE win, he gets what he deserves. I wish Mark waved it off before the right landed.

You don't know that he faked it. You don't know what he felt.

Inb4 gif of dizzy Aljo

You don't know that he faked it. You don't know what he felt.

Inb4 gif of dizzy Aljo

Dude he faked it. The fans booing him are because he faked it. Suga fans yes but nobody with honor would then parade around the belt. It was not even 5min and he's prancing around ig.

See him on the prelims. Bye bye.

I like Aljo more than most here and understand him advocating for himself, but the UFC didn't even want to give him a title shot in the first place.

If he fought and beat Merab and another top five guy, they still wouldn't give him a rematch.

I checked Aljo's Twitter and he's saying he's fine with Merab getting the title shot. Seems like Dana decided to throw a hissy fit over nothing. Give the title fight to Merab and move on. What's the problem here?

Sterling was neither dominant nor running for being the GOAT of his division. His title run consists of two split decisions that could have gone either way and one TKO win against a one-armed TJ.
LMAO he absolutely was in the running for GOAT at BW, it you can't admit that there's no point in discussing anything with you further as you're obviously not being objective.

Back