Is Ortega the next BJJ based fighter to become Champ???

BRASIL WAND

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It’s been a while since RDA and Werdum were champs.

Burns is fighting Usman. I think that fight favors Usman, Burns is weak against the cage and I think Usman saps him there.

However I think Ortega has a favorable fight coming up against Volk. I don’t think it’s a good idea to wall n stall an aggressive BJJ player like Ortega and his striking has improved leaps to not get sucked into a Kick n Run game.

What do you guys think? Who’s the next BJJ Champ?

LDN-L-UFC226-ORTEGA-HG-070527.jpg

I don't think so, but he will be a top guy in the division for a while. I don't like Ortega's chances against Volkanovski, though.

Nothing BJJ based about his style, I think Zabit and Volkanovski are the superior martial artists though

Nothing BJJ based about his style, I think Zabit and Volkanovski are the superior martial artists though

That legit black belt is the reason people don’t grapple against Ortega... not KZ, not Frankie, not Max, etc.

It also completely opens up the versatility in his striking and his Fight IQ has finally caught up to exploit that against his opponents.

It plays a much bigger role than you think.

Because I don't see where ortega has an advantage other than BJJ, and I don't see him being able to take volkanovski down. Honestly, I don't think the fight will be close. Volkanovski is much smarter striker and he has more tools and far more setups to using those tools. Last time Ortega fought someone with as much as output as Volkanovski, ortega ate like 300 punches. Ortega has improved, but not enough.

If ortega tries to lay back and play a calculated counter striker from range like he did last night, Volk will just pick at his legs and overload ortega with feints until he finds his way in similar to what he did to Aldo. I just don't like Ortega's chances, but he's surprised me before.

If Volk is going to point Karate style fight him, I think Ortega has a chance.

His improvement has been impressive. Well done him. Well deserved. Let's see what he can do. He has the physical attributes and now the tactical nous to go very far. A real contender for sure. I'd actually think his chances are better against Volk than Holloway, who is a bit too fluid and quick for him I feel.

That single leg to upward elbow was beautiful even if he didn't quite pull it off!

No, not at all. I repeat: Ortega is highly overrated.

People are already buying his hype again only because an apathetic Zombie were presented that night. People now think this is Ortega 2.0, a "K-1 Ortega" lol. Zombie didn't play as he is used to much more than Ortega improved his standup game. I don't buy it.

Feed him to Holloway again or give him any top fighter like Volkanovski, Pantera, or even Zabit - that I dislike and discredit, but even him is capable of putting Ortega in his own place. Then, the hype derails again.

Back