Is Ortega the next BJJ based fighter to become Champ???

No, Volkanovski is a much better striker than you give him credit for. I also think Volkanovski would beat Ortega up from top position.

Great argument buddy!

7d0.gif

Probably not, but I want to give props to my buddy David who just got his black belt from Royce today!

No, Volkanovski is a much better striker than you give him credit for. I also think Volkanovski would beat Ortega up from top position.
Come on know, I favor Alex on the feet as well, but you'd have to be crazy to claim that he would beat Ortega up on the ground. Yes, he's looked dominant there but never against a guy that's high level on the ground, let alone off his back.

No, not at all. I repeat: Ortega is highly overrated.

People are already buying his hype again only because an apathetic Zombie were presented that night. People now think this is Ortega 2.0, a "K-1 Ortega" lol. Zombie didn't play as he is used to much more than Ortega improved his standup game. I don't buy it.

Feed him to Holloway again or give him any top fighter like Volkanovski, Pantera, or even Zabit - that I dislike and discredit, but even him is capable of putting Ortega in his own place. Then, the hype derails again.
Are you a contrarian just for the sake of it? Zombie was "apathetic" due to Brian. He opened up on the second, had success and then got dropped hard and was out of the fight. He didn't lay an egg so much as he was forced into a shell because he met a guy who matched him on power and beat him in durability.

Brian's feints also had him guessing. I get being skeptical, but you're taking it a bit too far. It's okay to admit that Brian looked improved on the feet.

Volk is the best feinter in the division one of the best in the sport

Ortega had some issues when KZ was feinting more later when entering and getting away from his parries.

Volk might be more hesitant to take him down than he wouldve with KZ but i still see it as a tough but winnable fight for Brian. I think Burns has a bit better chance against Usman

Are you a contrarian just for the sake of it? Zombie was "apathetic" due to Brian. He opened up on the second, had success and then got dropped hard and was out of the fight. He didn't lay an egg so much as he was forced into a shell because he met a guy who matched him on power and beat him in durability.

Brian's feints also had him guessing. I get being skeptical, but you're taking it a bit too far. It's okay to admit that Brian looked improved on the feet.
Ok, then let's get things straight: Would you bet on Ortega against Holloway, Volkanovski, Pantera or even Zabit? Would you risk your money on this "K-1 Ortega" against any of them? Do you believe his standup improvements were so high to a point that he could beat any of them in striking or even in general gameplan?

Ok, then let's get things straight: Would you bet on Ortega against Holloway, Volkanovski, Pantera or even Zabit? Would you risk your money on this "K-1 Ortega" against any of them? Do you believe his standup improvements were so high to a point that he could beat any of them in striking or even in general gameplan?
I'd favor him against two of those mentioned - Yair because he's never been the hardest guy to take down going back to his debut, could have fixed it, but given his willingness to sell out for kicks I doubt it, and Zabit, although this is more counting on his gas tank to not measure up.

Next on the list would be Alex, but again, it's less based on technique and more so Brian having natural advantages over him. Volk has shown that he's more than able to fight a perfect fight against a dangerous opponent and adjust on the fly, so I'd feel safer taking him. Don't see Ortega beating Max unless Holloway is completely shot, which doesn't seem to be the case.

My argument simply hinges on Ortega being a legit top guy, think about it, don't you think you sound like the people who chalked up Yair's win over KZ to a fluke?

If he gets back on the sauce/gear.. then maybe he stands a chance.

I'd favor him against two of those mentioned - Yair because he's never been the hardest guy to take down going back to his debut, could have fixed it, but given his willingness to sell out for kicks I doubt it, and Zabit, although this is more counting on his gas tank to not measure up.

Next on the list would be Alex, but again, it's less based on technique and more so Brian having natural advantages over him. Volk has shown that he's more than able to fight a perfect fight against a dangerous opponent and adjust on the fly, so I'd feel safer taking him. Don't see Ortega beating Max unless Holloway is completely shot, which doesn't seem to be the case.

My argument simply hinges on Ortega being a legit top guy, think about it, don't you think you sound like the people who chalked up Yair's win over KZ to a fluke?
But it wasn't a fluke? I mean, Pantera had a BIG luck, right? He was clearly losing the fight - and, yes, he was LOSING that fight, undeniable - and got that elbow out of nowhere in the last moment of the fight. Ok, I give him credit for that, but this is a thing that doesn't happen everytime. So, ok, he won, but...

Now, I ask you a legit question: we all are used to watch KZ fighting. Do you think he was fighting against Ortega like he is used to? Why would KZ backpedal against him, just because of the size? I don't buy it at all.

KZ was very weird and people are now hyping Ortega's striking because of that lol. I can't buy this shit, this is nonsense. Just because of that spinning shit? Ortega is well-known for having x-factors, pulling rabbits out of his hat, and I give him credit for that. But we can't pretend that he is now a HELL OF A STRIKER, K-1 Ortega, Ortega 2.0 or something like that having that weird KZ in the octagon.

Like I had said before, to ME KZ's apathy was much bigger than Ortega's striking improvements.

Once again despite being shorter volk will have the reach advantage vs Ortega just like max .
Ortega reach is 175.3cm Max's was 175.3cm

Volks reach is 182cm . Max's adjustments almost got him the nod in the 2nd fight but he was controlling the center well and using plenty of great kicks early. But even his much lauded * and rightfully so * cardio wasn't good enough to maintain the style switch for 5 rounds.

Circling and with his back to the cage like Ortega did against KZ won't work against someone with Volks footwork. I'll be interested to see how Ortega approachs it. Should be a fun one.

Edit : volk has over a 2 and a half inch reach advantage for those who don't know metric.

Once again despite being shorter volk will have the reach advantage vs Ortega just like max .

Volks reach is 182cm . Max's adjustments almost got him the nod in the 2nd fight but he was controlling the center well and using plenty of great kicks early. But even his much lauded * and rightfully so * cardio wasn't good enough to maintain the style switch for 5 rounds.

Circling and with his back to the cage like Ortega did against KZ won't work against someone with Volks footwork. I'll be interested to see how Ortega approachs it. Should be a fun one

You have a point but Ortega utilizes his reach very well.

Circling and with his back to the cage like Ortega did against KZ won't work against someone with Volks footwork. I'll be interested to see how Ortega approachs it. Should be a fun one

It’s been a while since RDA and Werdum were champs.

Burns is fighting Usman. I think that fight favors Usman, Burns is weak against the cage and I think Usman saps him there.

However I think Ortega has a favorable fight coming up against Volk. I don’t think it’s a good idea to wall n stall an aggressive BJJ player like Ortega and his striking has improved leaps to not get sucked into a Kick n Run game.

What do you guys think? Who’s the next BJJ Champ?

LDN-L-UFC226-ORTEGA-HG-070527.jpg
Guy wins one fight and now he's gonna be champ? you casuals kill me. lol

Guy wins one fight and now he's gonna be champ? you casuals kill me. lol

He looked much improved this fight, has a bunch of top wins and his only loss is to Max as Champ.

I don't know why you think it's laughable that he's a contender?

I got Volk second round TKO.

Ortega over rated as fuck again watch him get fucked up again.

KZ looked like shit that's the only reason Ortego looked decent. The hair helped too he doesn't looked :eek::eek::eek:oed out anymore.

I think Ortega is an interesting fight for Volk personally in that he's tough and has significant finishing ability, I wouldnt expect Brian to outwork him but I could see him being a live upset threat across 5 rounds, moreso than Max who tends to work via pressure more.

Max and Zombies toughness has I think resulted ion Ortega's striking threat being rather underrated,

Last edited:

So did/does max. Volk has a reach advantage over both. Plus Ortega despite the stance switches is extremely heavy on the lead leg. Volks bread and butter

Back