is one weightlifting session enough to gain some muscle mass?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by nostalgiccel, Jan 4, 2015.

1. nostalgiccel

nostalgiccel White Belt

Let's say I train mma 4-5 times a week, have two general endurance trainings and only one weightlifting session; is it still possible to gain some muscle mass (even at a slow rate) if I eat enough calories? Or do I really need to ditch one of the endurance trainings for another weightlifting session?

I'm asking this because while I know that I should focus on endurance and skills if I want to improve my fighting abilities, I would also like to bulk up a little.

2. Bludshed

Bludshed ANTE BELLUM Platinum Member

In short: yes, it is possible. Is it ideal? Eh...

Maybe take a gander at the following link. While Wendler admits he is not an expert on MMA strength and conditioning training, he outlines a very workable 2-day/week template allowing you to splice in conditioning and MMA on your "off" days.

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/02/531-and-mma/

3. magick

magick Green Belt

No.

One session isn't enough to achieve anything of note.

4. Ethan

Ethan Green Belt

Once a week, probably not ideal but better than nothing.

5. ballhawkdawk

ballhawkdawk ****ing Gumshoe's dad

I'm curious about this. For me personally, I feel like 3 days a week is my maintenance. Maybe I've fucked up by lifting 5 days a week and need that frequent stimulus to get anything. Is once a week really better than nothing, or are the benefits so minuscule that the time would be better spent on technique? I could maybe see twice a week where you squat twice, power clean twice, bench/OHP once, and deadlift once, or something like that. I'd keep it real specific if I weight trained only 2 days a week. For me, squatting once a week just leaves me sore for days. The only way I can stave off the muscle soreness is by squatting at least twice, preferably more, so by strength training so infrequently, you may actually be hindering yourself.

6. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

I can only speak from experience but there was a time when I only had 1 day a week to lift.

I had a friend of mone help me with a program. He was a triathlete and a natural competitive body builder.

The program was designed around squat or dead first (alternate each week) and then bb bench, and then various assistance lifts.

AAgain I can only speak for myself but I had results in terms of strength.

7. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

It's better than nothing but not optimal of course.
    Additionally, depending on your current and previous level of fitness, it might be enough to maintain for some individuals.

8. 48mpg

48mpg Blue Belt

only way to find out is to try it for yourself. If one person can gain lean mass and strength by lifting only once a week and jogging 5 times a week, it doesnt mean anyone else can.

9. Greoric

Greoric Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I understand it differently. If you're training to MMF, for most people that's a week long recovery affair, just before you're at baseline again.

10. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

[​IMG]

11. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    Why not take an 8-12 week "off season" to focus purely on strength and hypertrophy then get back to your normal training routine, but be bigger and stronger.

12. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

Is the MMA training not working your endurance enough? Surely rolling, wrestling, sparring and hitting pads are all excellent endurance training methods?

13. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

This was my first thought too. Drop the extra conditioning sessions and use those days for strength training. Then as you get closer to a fight you can reduce the strength training and increase the conditioning. Unless some of those MMA classes are light you are already doing conditioning work 4-5 times/week.

14. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

You will probably see gains if you do indeed eat enough and are a beginner... i think the more advanced you get the more you will just be able to maintain with 1 session a week and i never have been advanced but i can imagine that at a certain point even maintainance isnt even possible anymore with one session.