Is Munoz the worst NCAA/MMA wrestler?

Just The Facts

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No disrespect to Mark at all, I actually like him a lot. But both Weidman and Mousse totally dominated him in the scrambles.

Sad to say but I think it's time to hang up the gloves and stick to coaching; he'll never be top 5 again imo.

I get what you're saying. I wasn't aware Munoz was actually a NCAA Div I champ until the graphic came up saying so.

I'm sure Munoz is a great pure mat wrestler, but the game changes when you have to setup your TD's intelligently instead of running in carelessly.

I get what you're saying. I wasn't aware Munoz was actually a NCAA Div I champ until the graphic came up saying so.

I'm sure Munoz is a great pure mat wrestler, but the game changes when you have to setup your TD's intelligently instead of running in carelessly.

I get the feeling that he wasn't a takedown guy in his NCAA days.

Mousasi is a very good judo guy so that helped and wasn't Weidman an All-American?

Munoz was a great top position wrestler and it shows in his ground control. He never had a great shot and still doesn't. There is more to wrestling than takedowns...

Why is munoz even in the UFC?? He's not even Bellator worthy

If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

Seriously, you can't be that stupid. Munoz is still a top 15 fighter and would skullfuck Bellator's "champ" at MW.

You guys are surprised Munoz couldn't take down Mousasi?

The great Ronda Rousey couldn't even take Mousasi down :wink:

There are a lot of great wrestlers who aren't able to transition those skills effectively in MMA. Matyushenko was a great fighter in MMA, but you'd never guess that he was the Soviet national wrestling champ.

I think Mark Munoz is very powerful. But he lacks of technique.

you forgot to mention Okami who was defending Munoz' TDs with amazing ease as well.

If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself.

Seriously, you can't be that stupid. Munoz is still a top 15 fighter and would skullfuck Bellator's "champ" at MW.

You're delusional if you truly believe he's even a top 20 mw in Mma

munoz is probably the most overrated fighter in UFC history. said this for years, but people actually thought he was a top 10 middleweight at one point. hilarious.

I never understood how Munoz even got this far.
His wrestling is atrocious, his striking is terrible and his chin is a joke.
The only thing he has is power, but that's it.

Just having the pure grappling skill is not enough, you have to be able to transition it to MMA. Look how many Judo and BJJ champs have looked less than world class when you add strikes to the mix.

Mousasi is a very good judo guy so that helped and wasn't Weidman an All-American?

From wikipedia on Munoz:

Munoz began wrestling with the varsity team at Vallejo High School. At Vallejo, Munoz went on to be a two-time State Champion, an Asics First Team All-American, a 1995 National High School Champion, and the 1996 NHSCA National High School Champion. Munoz was also on the honor roll for all four years and a member of the National Honors Society. That same year, Munoz won a silver medal for the USA Junior National Team and finished fifth in his weight class at the FILA Junior World Wrestling Championship. Munoz went on to compete at Oklahoma State University, where he compiled 121 wins overall, was a two-time All-American, and won a NCAA National Championship in 2001 as a senior. Mu

Judo > Wrestling sometimes. Also Munoz is back to Depression-Munoz. Only Anti-Depression Munoz looks fierce.

I get the feeling that he wasn't a takedown guy in his NCAA days.

He wasn't he was more of a counter and ride guy, like Phil Davis. His takedown and TDD game isn't that good but his scrambling ability is pretty great.

Back