Is LHW right now the most "Cleaned out" any division has ever been in MMA history?

Rumble is the only guy left who isn't laughable to imagine facing Jones.

Gus vs Jones is laughable now after that first fight, and the fact that Gus is also getting better and better and has the highest fight IQ of anyone Jone's has faced? Weird man.

There is now Johnson, Davis and Gus. In order for Jones to surpass Anderson and GSP in cleaning out his division, to the point where it is no longer debatable, he clearly has to beat at least two of them and would possibly need to beat all three of them in dominant, convincing fashion.

His fight with the Gus/Rumble winner is on the horizon, and he will probably fight the loser of that fight soon after that. Those are two interesting fights. HW in 2006, WW after GSP beat Alves, MW after Silva beat Hendo were much less interesting. If Jones wins those two fights, then yeah, it will be more super fight talk again.

Gus vs Jones is laughable now after that first fight, and the fact that Gus is also getting better and better and has the highest fight IQ of anyone Jone's has faced? Weird man.

There is now Johnson, Davis and Gus. In order for Jones to surpass Anderson and GSP in cleaning out his division, to the point where it is no longer debatable, he clearly has to beat at least two of them and would possibly need to beat all three of them in dominant, convincing fashion.

I don't think Davis is in the discussion anymore, if he ever really was. Back in 2011-2012 he was viewed as a guy with the potential to beat Jones because of his wrestling skill, but I think that it is clear now that he would not give Jones many problems.

Rumble and Gus for sure (what a great fight to look forward to between them) though.

People seriously believe Davis can beat Jones? LMAO :icon_lol:
Jones does everything better than Davis in MMA.

Rumble? Maybe if he beat Gus, he's a threat to Jones, but if he lost to Gus, meh. We'll see. Also didn't Rumble got choke out by Vitor in the 1st round? And also got choke out by KOS a WW that lost to GSP twice?

Yeah and whats funny is the fact that Jon Jones would dominate Davis, OSP, Henderson and Manuwa(the few fighters in the top 10 he hasn't faced). They aren't even threats.

The only guy that poses a threat too his title is Gus and who knows how a second fight will turn out. With the way Jones improves everytime he might blow Gus out of the water, we'll see.

Anderson silva had a tougher weight class that was more cleaned out as well.

GSP at ww had tougher opponents too, and was just as "cleaned out".

I know haters going to hate on jones, but if you think the shogun and rampage and some others that jon beat are the best versions of those guys you need to watch some older fights.

I wish jones had taken on the mw champ at the time in silva and not chael like gsp did with bj penn when a "lw" moved up to gsp's division for a title shot.

That would be like gsp fighting one of the guys bj beat, and not bj. Imagine the hate gsp would get for fighting one of the lw contenders and not pwning the champ! Chrsit he still gets hate for "only" beating a lw, never mind he was the lw champ and a former ww champ.

Please. Jones is awesome, but he isn't fedor, gsp, or silva yet.

Imagine if gsp had to take on lw contenders, not the champ, but contenders because ww's were too old and not ready for short notice title shots. Jesus, just look at some threads about the ww's at the time DYING for title shots. How good Jon Fitch was and what he had to do for a title shot. That would be like gsp smacking around Jon fitch NOW. Thats what jon jones is doing with the old tired versions of shogun and page. And Im not even shogun or rampage or pride fan, hell I HATE penn, but he was good. Much better then fuckin chael coming up, and I am one of the biggest chael fans you'll find. Look at my old posts. I admit his lhw title shot was a joke. Him taking it wasn't because there were not contenders, there were just contenders turning down title shots.

Cleaned out, please. He broke tito's fucking record, not anderson's or gsp's. Get over this.

I love how people re-write history to suit their agenda. Nobody was calling any of the monsters that Jones beat "washed up" "old" or "over the hill" until Jones wiped the floor with them. (Anderson actually suffered from the same phenomenon during his reign where all of the sudden his division was weak because he was too good for anyone to pose him a challenge)

If you aren't being silly it is pretty clear that Jones' strength of schedule is equal to or greater than any other in MMA history.

GSP fought some very tough opponents, no doubt, but he also fought Hardy, and natural lightweights in BJ and Serra (who KOed him). People love to point out that Jones fought MWs (one of whom was a former LHW champ and HW tourney champ) but rarely note that GSP fought several LWs himself (Sherk, BJ, Serra)

Shogun UFC LHW Champ, Pride MW Gp Champ
Machida UFC LHW Champ
Rashad UFC LHW Champ
Rampage UFC LHW Champ
Vitor UFC LHW Champ, HW tourney Champ, Franklinweight & SuperRumbleweight Champ
Chael- Champion of his own mind
DC - Strikeforce HW Tourney Champ
Glover - unbeaten in 20 fights
Gus

Also it is pretty laughable to say Anderson had a tougher division, I assume that was a joke. His division was sorely underrated because of his dominance, but it was definitely not on the level of the LHW division Jones has torn thru.

as for the records

Anderson 10
GSP 9
Jones 8 - active

he hasn't broken them yet, but he aint far off and he has his toughest challenges behind him.

At what point did Anderson or GSP have their division more cleared out?

GSP always had at least one legit threat lurking since their were other respectable orgs with fighters like Shields, Lombard, then he had Hendricks as an up and comer

Anderson had Jacare out there and Weidman on the way up towards the end. When he went up to 205 there were still contenders at 185 (Okami, Chael)

Jones already fought Gus. This is about cleaning the division

Rumble? Maybe if he beat Gus, he's a threat to Jones, but if he lost to Gus, meh. We'll see. Also didn't Rumble got choke out by Vitor in the 1st round? And also got choke out by KOS a WW that lost to GSP twice?

And again, that was when he was all but killing himself trying to make weight. The difference between Johnson then and now is gargantuan, it is essentially looking at two wholly different fighters.

He has the Gus rematch or Rumble. Gus doesn't count as "cleaned" because of how close it is. But if he beats the winner of that and maybe Davis than he's there for sure

GSP had a legit title fight with Dan Hardy and Silva fought Leites.

Those are signs of a clean division

Jones has two legit contenders with AJ and Gus left. GSP had to fight Dan Hardy

Yeah and whats funny is the fact that Jon Jones would dominate Davis, OSP, Henderson and Manuwa(the few fighters in the top 10 he hasn't faced). They aren't even threats.

The only guy that poses a threat too his title is Gus and who knows how a second fight will turn out. With the way Jones improves everytime he might blow Gus out of the water, we'll see.

I don't doubt it's possible, but Gus's first fight after his Jones fight was his curbstomping of Manuwa where he beat him badly literally everywhere. After that fight, where does one get the assumption that Gus is not improving nearly as fast as Jones? That I don't get

Back