Is LHW right now the most "Cleaned out" any division has ever been in MMA history?

jeff7b9

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Jones just defeated the toughest test for him at LHW, and it was a very very tough test indeed, but he now has defeated #1,2,4,6,7,11 in his division. I do not recall another time when a champ has cleaned out an established division so thoroughly.

Mighty Mouse does have wins over 1-4 in his division and much of the top ten, but with that division being so new it seems like a new challenger could emerge, whereas LHW is very clearly established and Bones reigns supreme in quite impressive fashion.

I suppose at the very tip top there is always some room for debate, but Jones has cleared out 205 pretty impressively in my opinion. The biggest threat now is a rematch against a guy he already beat.

Even Silva and GSP always had a challenger around. (Weidman and Hendricks were coming up towards then end, Chael and Jake Shields were around before that, never really cleaned out like this)

Fedor dominated HW, but there was always the question of how he would have faired against UFC guys such as Cain, Brock or Randy (he probably would have murdered them, but that doesn't really count in this situation)

Champion : Jon Jones

1 Alexander Gustafsson - Win UD
2 Daniel Cormier - Win UD
3 Anthony Johnson ______
4 Rashad Evans - Win UD
5 Phil Davis ______
6 Glover Teixeira - Win UD
7 Ryan Bader - Win SUB Round 1
8 Ovince Saint Preux ______
9 Dan Henderson ______
10 Jimi Manuwa _______
11 Mauricio Rua - Win TKO round 3, murder
12 Rafael Cavalcante _____
13 Fabio Maldonado
14 Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
15 Patrick Cummins *NR

Pretty much yes. If he beats Rumble, absolutely yes

anderson silva had cleaned out 185 so thoroughly a couple of times that he had to move to 205 to fill time.

once he beats Rumble, Davis and Osp you can say he cleaned the division

anderson silva had cleaned out 185 so thoroughly a couple of times that he had to move to 205 to fill time.

THIS

people have such short memories on here.

People used to complain that the guys getting titled shots weren't even contenders, that is how good Anderson cleaned the division.

Jones still has legit contenders to fight.

Beside rumble (if he beats Gus), he's going to be at the point where he's going to be fighting guys that are out of the top five if not top ten. If he beats winner of Gus/Rumble, then you will start hearing more calls for him against Cain (if he ever gets healthy again)

Weidman going up a possibility? The thing about Chris is I think he's a much smarter fighter than most of these guys.

THIS

People used to complain that the guys getting titled shots weren't even contenders, that is how good Anderson cleaned the division.

This.

But he capable of it and DC was the litmus test for taking a few fights at HW.

THIS

These.

And GSP was stuck defending his title against what appeared to be breakdancers from times square for a couple years. Jones has a ways to go.

GSP fought Dan Hardy, and it wasn't a trick.

I think Anderson had it more cleared out. Jones is right there. Aldo's close too.

If he beats the winner of Gustafsson/Johnson I think it'd be time for him to take a fight at HW, like Anderson did at 205 during his reign.

What Jones has done has been more impressive because 205 was really loaded when Jones beat Shogun.

170 was basically GSP/Hughes (and a returning Penn) and 185 was only Franklin/Silva. That's why the TUF 4 winner got title shots in those divisions.

Seriously. Just close the fucking thread already.

He lost to gus and hasn't fought rumble.

Two of the most impressive recent performances at LHW were rumble vs Davis, and rumble vs Nog.

Gus looked decent vs Manuwa, and most people thought he won the first fight vs Jones. If Gus can stay on his feet, he is a better striker than Jones and will light him up again. Missed spinning shots and nothing kicks to the knee shouldn't score points in a fight.

It depends on how Rumble does against Gus. If Gus makes him look like a fool, Jones doesn't even need to beat him.

His "win' vs Gus is debatable.

THIS

185 was even more barren for champ Franklin pre Silva.

aldo?

I mean contenders are starting to re-stack after the first time he cleared the deck but seems almost as cleared as 205 right now

Also the thing about 145 is the #1 and #2 ranked fighters (Mendes and Edgar) would be big favorites against every other person in the division IMO ... yes, including McGoat

Back