• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is KO Power more technique or just lucky genetics ?

You've only got to spend a year in an MMA/Boxing gym and I 100% guarantee, there will be a guy who walks in off the street and hits way harder than guys who have been training way longer than him. He might even be in worse shape.

sure but hitting hard is not the same as knocking someone out. there is a finesse to being a KO puncher. you need good timing, good reaction time and the brains to set traps. that's all technique. without the technique a powerful person is much less scary because his ability to KO people drops considerably.

Look at everyone downplaying lucky genetics like there aren't people in each division that just have everyone on the back foot no matter how good they are

i think you're downplaying technique. it's very difficult to hit someone who knows you're trying to hit them and wants to avoid it. people are backed up because they know how good of striker the person is because he has techniques to lull you into a false sense of security. that's why Ngannou is a much scarier puncher than Tai Tuivasa. it's not because he hits way harder, it's because the chances of him hitting you is much higher than Tai Tuivasa hitting you which is directly related to his traps and setups being more sophisticated. you could give Tai Tuivasa Ngannou's power and he'd still have nearly the same record.

I'd go with genes. Your ligaments are attached different and muscles can be misleading and you have the faster reflexes.

The speed/technique can come later.
Ligaments =\= tendons

I think you have it mixed up.

Punchers are born, not made.

The way someone is built, which can be from their training. That's why wrestlers more often than not are actually good punches, even though they gas out quicker throwing lesser strikes. On the other hand fighters who train to strike a lot can build up more cardio heavy muscles that can punch frequently but have less power. You can definitely develop power and it isn't just purely genetics.

You can be trained to punch harder, but I think that people are born with that "one shot" power that can spark a person out cold.

It's mainly genetics. Proper technique will maximize your genetic potential but it's kinda like speed. You can make a slow guy faster than he was but you'll never make a slow guy fast.

Technique helps of course but the highest % determinant is probably genetics.

There are normal sized guys in the gym with bum technique that can nonetheless push your body back when hitting the pads on you. Then similar-sized guys with much better technique that don't budge you at all when they land. Clearest example I can make off the top of my head.

That first guy can get better technique of course. That second guy can powerlift all he wants and whatever else but he likely will never send people flying.

Not genetics, he literally put everything into those punches and was willing to take a shot just to land one. The one that Rozenstruik didn’t see is what put him out. Most guys could get KOs like that if they got sloppy and exploded while risking getting caught
Ngannou has knockouts where he's off balance, moving backwards and grazes an opponent. See the Cain knockout. It's absolutely genetics.

Funny you cant read the word big.
The muscle of the hand that perform opposition of the thumb are actually pretty beefy and strong. I wouldn't call the muscles that make up your thenar eminence small by any means. Smaller relative to the forearm, but large in relation to your lumbricles and palmar/dorsal interossei.

shannon-sharpe-skip-bayless.gif

Can you imagine if Melvin Manhoef threw punches like Colby , or the Diaz brothers ? I think if you put Colby's technique 100% as Manhoefs he would pick up most of the KO power ( Manhoef is also 173 cm 84 kg but never mind ).

Ngannou has knockouts where he's off balance, moving backwards and grazes an opponent. See the Cain knockout. It's absolutely genetics.
He puts all his weight into his punches. He’s 6’5 almost 300lbs so anyone would go out.

Back