Is Kelvin Gastelum slept on?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Aside from all those weight issues, he’s got a lot of talent. He’s an underdog to Adesnya which I understand cuz the weight/height is ridiculous, but if Kelvin can utilize his grappling in this fight, that could be the difference.

His scrambling ability is pretty top notch to be able to get through Jacare. He’s got bounce in his step and can fire off a clean 1-2. The only issue is his size for 185 and that bit of a character flaw.

I think I’m picking Israel to win this fight but my money is on Kelvin.

Kelvin "My Pillow" Gastelum?
Kelvin "Casper Mat" Gastelum?

Kelvin is the type of guy who takes Chaels 90 day challenge on a Casper mattress and leaves crumbs in the bed every night.

If anything I think he's overrated, people seem to think super highly of him at least on these forums.

He's a very good fighter of course, but he's pretty limited and doesn't seem to improve much.

Imo Israel will win but Gastelum hits like a fucking truck and can absorb lots of damage . If he lands clean on Israel he is winning.

Aside from all those weight issues, he’s got a lot of talent. He’s an underdog to Adesnya which I understand cuz the weight/height is ridiculous, but if Kelvin can utilize his grappling in this fight, that could be the difference.

His scrambling ability is pretty top notch to be able to get through Jacare. He’s got bounce in his step and can fire off a clean 1-2. The only issue is his size for 185 and that bit of a character flaw.

No he's a top contender for the past year or so, not slept on at all

If anything I think he's overrated, people seem to think super highly of him at least on these forums.

He's a very good fighter of course, but he's pretty limited and doesn't seem to improve much.

What’s he not good at? He’s got striking/wrestling/BJJ down. He’s above average in all 3. And he’s got a fat Mexican block for a head.

I thought he’s improved a ton. Go watch his fights over the years I beg to differ. Today, the guy has learned how to roll with punches. IMO a guy who can roll with punches during combinations can land the best counters ALA Anderson Silva the king of absorbing damage.

Anywho, I seems like everybody is picking Izzy and the betting odds even reflecting that he’s the underdog here. The size difference is the biggest factor but this fights should at least be evens IMO.

Could you elaborate on the "character flaw"?

I think I know where you're going but there are a couple of things you could mean.

He's got the best 1-2 punch going right now. I'm still shocked that Weidman recovered and freakin choked him out. Lets see how Naruto Bender handles getting hit with them. Cuz he is going to, length or not

great head movement & p4p heaviest hands in the ufc

PopularPerkyHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

Could you elaborate on the "character flaw"?

I think I know where you're going but there are a couple of things you could mean.

Character flaw as in his inability to make weight @ 170. Maybe his maturity level? He was on TUF at a pretty young age.

He's got the best 1-2 punch going right now. I'm still shocked that Weidman recovered and freakin choked him out. Lets see how Naruto Bender handles getting hit with them. Cuz he is going to, length or not

I feel like the likelier party to finish would be Kelvin. He’s got a hell of a chin and Izzy counters a lot but he doesn’t always finish the fight.

Kelvin has pretty good defense and toughness. Maybe if he can go past the 3rd round I could see him finding his range somewhere or getting the grappling going.

Always has been

Made a good amount of money on him as an underdog.. against Tim Kennedy???
A retiring Tim Kennedy with one foot out of the door

Sometimes money is just free I guess

This time it’s a bit closer
But I still think he beats this average battle worn Nigerian
He’s nothing special but you fan boys are lapping it up

Super underrated. He's always suppose to lose his next fight because he's short.

Idgaf abotu KG unless hes eating mexican street tacos

If he's a dog against Israel I'm gonna bet on him.

Gastelum got his title shot based off beating a Bisping who got KO'd by GSP 3 weeks beforehand, and a dodgy and debatable decision win over Jacare. Even past it Weidman was able to destroy him. In reality his striking is limited and he's not very athletic, he relies on his chin and his opponents walking themselves into his range. People say Israel's performance against Anderson is not impressive but truth be told I am not sure Gastelum can beat Anderson either. Even though Anderson is past it physically his skills and brain are still there.

Back