Is Jon Jones the Most Blatant Example of a Champ Ducking Ever?

At the time Jones was scheduled to fight Stipe, Aspinall was not a title contender. Since then, and with the Jones/Stipe fight still planned, the UFC decided to give Aspinall a belt. That's not Jones's fault.

I know you would love for Jones to back out of the Stipe fight because you think Aspinall can beat him and Stipe can't, but it's not happening. And for him to go ahead with a fight he had scheduled and was training for is not ducking.

If Jones wins the Stipe fight and chooses to fight someone other than Aspinall, yeah, let's talk about ducking. But let's get through this fight first.

Fighting the UFC all time best heavyweight is an easy fight?
Only been 10 years since Jon ducked every HW fighter?

YES... 4 years after Francis destroyed Stipe, it is NOW an easy fight.

If it wasn't an easy fight - retired Stipe would be ducked the same way Tom is ducked.

If one ges by loose definitions of ducking you can just accuse every fighter you don’t like of ducking based on some criteria one came up with in their head similar to how that other poster did with Bisping.
I actually agree there. I think the vast majority of fighters Sherdog calls ducks aren't.
Honestly, people are just finding a way to disparage a fighter they don’t like with the talk about Jon ducking. Whenever i point out MM blatantly ducking TJ under the strict definition of ducking everyone finds a way to excuse it, but here with Jon people are stretching the meaning of duck heavily just to be able to label him as one. I get it though, Jon is very unlikeable.
I have no problem with you or anybody else calling Mighty Mouse a duck,. He does fit the criteria of ducking. I think it comes down to reasons for it for most. Ducking is usually the implication that you won't fight X because you are scared of losing to X. I don't think DJ was scared of losing to Dillashaw, but of course, I can't prove that. It's just not the vibe I got. I think he was well within his rights to get in Dana's way as much as possible in that situation. Dana was blatantly disrespectful towards him during that whole process.
I just don’t get why people are expecting Jon to fight indefinitely. He said he only has one fight left and it’s booked. Of course he’s not talking about fighting afterwards seriously.
Nobody expects him to fight indefinitely. But people don't want him to fight a retired geriatric fireman who's achievements in the sport are from more than half a decade ago. Who was brutally KOed the last time he fought. If you want to go out as the GOAT, that isnt the fight to go out on.

Not when there's a generational talent waiting in the wings, who has decimated the top 10 at HW and just so happens to be the interim champion and the belts need to be unified.

Yes, yes it is.

I've been following MMA since the early 2000's and I honestly can't think of a more aggreges example. Not one that carries this much weight.

I have to say though this cherry picking and holding up belts, while awful for guys in Tom's position, is good for the sport of mma as a whole.

Now before you go flaming my account hear me out....

The more that the UFC does this kind of garbage the less and less credible that they are as the organization with the best in the world fighting the best in the world, which is great for the sport of mma as a whole and will create more competition between organizations to actually compensate the fighters and treat them fairly instead of claiming they all "don't wanna fight"

Also the fans are getting tired of the manufactured hype and just not tuning it for it nearly as much as we used to.

As of today the UFC does not give a single F about the fans and would rather protect their favorite fighters and hold up divisions to try to create money fights but my prediction is they are going to get more and more push back to the point of finally realizing that trashing all the fighters and fans who disagree with them all for the sake of a single event or fighter is actually not a wise choice.

Dana did amazing things for the sport of mma but those days are long gone, now I feel like dana and the ufc are a complete detriment to the sport of mma and we would have way more top level talent if they actually treated fighters fairly instead of trying to rip them off every chance they get all in the name of a money fight.

It boggles my mind how they can be so near sighted....
This so a PF original.
CutPaste_2024-08-25_17-31-52-224_copy_882x1323.jpg

Yes, yes it is.

I've been following MMA since the early 2000's and I honestly can't think of a more aggreges example. Not one that carries this much weight.

I have to say though this cherry picking and holding up belts, while awful for guys in Tom's position, is good for the sport of mma as a whole.

Now before you go flaming my account hear me out....

The more that the UFC does this kind of garbage the less and less credible that they are as the organization with the best in the world fighting the best in the world, which is great for the sport of mma as a whole and will create more competition between organizations to actually compensate the fighters and treat them fairly instead of claiming they all "don't wanna fight"

Also the fans are getting tired of the manufactured hype and just not tuning it for it nearly as much as we used to.

As of today the UFC does not give a single F about the fans and would rather protect their favorite fighters and hold up divisions to try to create money fights but my prediction is they are going to get more and more push back to the point of finally realizing that trashing all the fighters and fans who disagree with them all for the sake of a single event or fighter is actually not a wise choice.

Dana did amazing things for the sport of mma but those days are long gone, now I feel like dana and the ufc are a complete detriment to the sport of mma and we would have way more top level talent if they actually treated fighters fairly instead of trying to rip them off every chance they get all in the name of a money fight.

It boggles my mind how they can be so near sighted....

The thing about this whole Stipe/Jones scenario is that its not ducking until Jones fights Stipe and wins and then the fight is actually offered to him. If Jones decides to retire and not take that fight, then I would agree it would go down as among, if not, the biggest ducks in the sport ever. But until that fight is actually offered, nothing is really going on aside the UFC looking to go with Plan A.

This Jones/ Stipe fight was being put together well before Aspinal was even a contender and before he even fought Tybura. They signed it for Nov 23 and the fight fell apart and that's when Tom really came into the picture. But you can't blame Jon for ducking and not fighting Tom when A) He's injured and B) The two other parties involved, the UFC and Stipe want to make that fight happen.

The biggest problem that happened here is not Jones not fighting Tom, but rather getting injured and postponing this fight an entire year. All that is happening is the they're all sticking with their original plan. It would be a different scenario if you had Jon winning the title and Tom shorlty after becoming a contender and interim champ while Stipe not being in the picture, but then Jon decides to fight Stipe. Stipe was already there well before Tom became a contender.

In regards to your other point about the UFC protecting fighters and holding up divisions for super fights. For every Jon/Stipe scenarios, you get 10 legit title fights. If that was the case the UFC wouldn't be putting up their future star in Omalley in one of the biggest events ever, vs a nighmare match up and have him get wrestled for 5 rounds.

I've never seen a so-called champion duck the interim champ... to fight an old 42yo fighter who lost by brutal KO almost 4 years ago and has 0 win against anyone on the current roster.... "beCaUsE I WaNt a LeGaCy FiGhT"

Jon Jones is full of shit and he knows the younger, hungrier lion would crush him. And Dana White, who's not any better, is pulling the strings and working hard to make that shit fight look legit. It's a bad joke

Last edited:
I actually agree there. I think the vast majority of fighters Sherdog calls ducks aren't.

I have no problem with you or anybody else calling Mighty Mouse a duck,. He does fit the criteria of ducking. I think it comes down to reasons for it for most. Ducking is usually the implication that you won't fight X because you are scared of losing to X. I don't think DJ was scared of losing to Dillashaw, but of course, I can't prove that. It's just not the vibe I got. I think he was well within his rights to get in Dana's way as much as possible in that situation. Dana was blatantly disrespectful towards him during that whole process.

Nobody expects him to fight indefinitely. But people don't want him to fight a retired geriatric fireman who's achievements in the sport are from more than half a decade ago. Who was brutally KOed the last time he fought. If you want to go out as the GOAT, that isnt the fight to go out on.

Not when there's a generational talent waiting in the wings, who has decimated the top 10 at HW and just so happens to be the interim champion and the belts need to be unified.
I completely get that people don’t wanna see Jon fight Stipe. The thing is, though this fight has been set up for a while now. It’s going to happen should Jon and Stipe make it to fight night. Jon said he’s got Stipe then he’s done. To get mad at him for not fighting after his retirement plans and the calling him a duck afterward is a little odd in my opinion. I get it, though. People want to see him lose very badly.

In regards to MM i think part of it was him being so close to beating silva’s streak and he was afraid of fighting another elite BW after the Cruz fight so he avoided the fight. That was the vibe I got, but like you said, no one can know.

I completely get that people don’t wanna see Jon fight Stipe. The thing is, though this fight has been set up for a while now. It’s going to happen should Jon and Stipe make it to fight night. Jon said he’s got Stipe then he’s done. To get mad at him for not fighting after his retirement plans and the calling him a duck afterward is a little odd in my opinion. I get it, though. People want to see him lose very badly.

In regards to MM i think part of it was him being so close to beating silva’s streak and he was afraid of fighting another elite BW after the Cruz fight so he avoided the fight. That was the vibe I got, but like you said, no one can know.
Stipe has not fought in 3.5 year and has no wins over ANY current heavyweight UFC fighters, the fact that it "has been set up for a while now" is exactly the problem. If this was 3 years ago it would maybe MAYBE make sense, but not now.

I'm all for Jon and Stipe getting one last money fight, the problem that the belt for "the baddest man on the planet" is on the line.

Jon needs to unify or vacate, the division should have never been held up this long for Stipe.

Take Jon out of the equation, just the fact that it was held up this long for Stipe should bother everyone. A fighers prime can be really short and Tom's is slipping by while being told to defend his interim belt.

IMO way more people should be pissed about this

Maybe.

GDR ducked Cyborg flat out. But you could argue her being stripped was more honorable than Jon holding the title hostage for 2 years to fight a clear not contender.

GDR ducked Cyborg flat out. But you could argue her being stripped was more honorable than Jon holding the title hostage for 2 years to fight a clear not contender.

{<doc}

There is no honor in being stripped for refusing to fight. Especially when it was widely known and discussed that the GDR/Holly win would be facing Cyborg next.

The thing about this whole Stipe/Jones scenario is that its not ducking until Jones fights Stipe and wins and then the fight is actually offered to him. If Jones decides to retire and not take that fight, then I would agree it would go down as among, if not, the biggest ducks in the sport ever. But until that fight is actually offered, nothing is really going on aside the UFC looking to go with Plan A.

This Jones/ Stipe fight was being put together well before Aspinal was even a contender and before he even fought Tybura. They signed it for Nov 23 and the fight fell apart and that's when Tom really came into the picture. But you can't blame Jon for ducking and not fighting Tom when A) He's injured and B) The two other parties involved, the UFC and Stipe want to make that fight happen.

The biggest problem that happened here is not Jones not fighting Tom, but rather getting injured and postponing this fight an entire year. All that is happening is the they're all sticking with their original plan. It would be a different scenario if you had Jon winning the title and Tom shorlty after becoming a contender and interim champ while Stipe not being in the picture, but then Jon decides to fight Stipe. Stipe was already there well before Tom became a contender.

In regards to your other point about the UFC protecting fighters and holding up divisions for super fights. For every Jon/Stipe scenarios, you get 10 legit title fights. If that was the case the UFC wouldn't be putting up their future star in Omalley in one of the biggest events ever, vs a nighmare match up and have him get wrestled for 5 rounds.
The biggest problem is the UFC decided to make Tom vs Pav an interim title fight instead of a #1 contender fight. I don't think people would have been AS pissed if Tom wasn't holding the interim title and he had to wait for Jon to fight Stipe.

Back