• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Jon Jones the best fighter we've ever seen

Jones is the best, agree?

• Total voters
Saddest part he never got as good as he could get, by a long shot. Even with some "help" along the way.

Brian Stann speaks of the time
Jones first arrived at Jack/Wink and how "green" he was. Yet, he would learn one submission, then proceed to sub the entire room with his new move. Thats not right at white belt level.....

Sure is. Just disappointed about the PED thing. That finish of Cormier was legendary. Now it is like that fight didn't even happen. Plus , he screwed us out of a "Super-Fight" at Heavyweight. GOAT fighter but not a fan.

How do you come to the conclusion that the OSP fight was the only fight that he was clean? I'm genuinely interested in your logic here.
No you're not.

Jon Jones has had precisely one valid fight since USADA started sniffing people out. And it was the one against OSP.

when he barely trained and was out partying. and still won.
giphy.gif

Maybe its your poor Engrish or a typo on your part. Are we talking the same Fedor that ducked UFC? The same Fedor that got 1 punched by a UFC MW who was never good enough to win the belt there despite several gift title shots a 7-9 UFC record since pride ended? the same Fedor that ducked Reem twice and had a 3 fight losing streak thereafter?

Just checking.

{<jordan}

stopped here

{<jordan}
{<jordan}
{<jordan}

Probably. Although there would have been some serious threats to him at HW. If you can negate his height/reach advantage it can hurt his game a lot.

If we ignore the steroids... Yes, I think he might be the best fighter we've ever seen. And I don't even like the guy. I never liked him as a person, so I always rooted against him. And he always crushed everyone he fought.

Forget for a moment accomplishments and career accolades, of which Jones has many

and forget for a moment PED accusations, which many other GOAT candidates either have or didn't fight under USADA so were judged by different standards

Is Jones in the cage the best at MMA that you've ever seen?
Even ignoring P4P, would it be unreasonable to pick Jon Jones over any fighter that's fought in MMA to date?
Impossible to guage considering he's likely juiced his whole career. Peds are a big advantage it combat sports.

His skillset is incredible, but would he be able to implement it properly without the drugs?

No, otherwise he wouldn't have risked getting done a second time after DC.

Yes, ignoring the PED scandal he's the best ever and its not close.

However, dude's a fucking cheat, no way to get around that reality, so he's not the best in actuality.

No

He's a fraud that was destroyed by Matt Hamill

And then started taking PEDs

Yes imo. He beat fighters in their own game

Nope. Jones wouldnt beat half the ppl Fedor did.

Fedor then Werdum then Cain IMO. Jones is like 15th or so.

Nobody is doubting Bones has a GOAT resume. But let's be honest, DC also has a GOAT resume, and Jones was caught using peds to defeat DC. DC also beat Josh @ hw. If Jones had fought clean and lost, DC would be the betting favorite for GOAT over Fedor.

Oh okay your new to mma

Context is important!

Let me break it down for you

Shogun was LHW champion, he beat the undefeated Machida his best performance in a sanctioned organization

Rashad and Lyoto were Light Heavy Weight champs, thats champions BEFORE they moved to MW after Jones destroyed them
Both of them had fought HW prior to LHW

Both of them were Light Heavywieight ChAMPIONS, further both of them were on a tear destroying LHW before they got their championships.
They were LHW champions before Jones ended their careers and they have to move to MW infact they shared two career losses together

Vitor was HW and LHW champ at one point and after Jones knocked out Rockhold and Bisping who were the concurrent and current MW champs

No one expected Gus to win, Sonnen and Rampage had BETTER odds to beats him.

If you just got into mma you can easily look up records and context even on this forum!!
Shogun had 3 surgeries and couldn't compete at nearly as high of a level as in his prime. So that win over the shogun name is overrated.

Both Lyoto and Rashad fought at MW and their frames are best fit for the MW division.

Vitor was a deflated version of himself and while I like vitor. A win over him at that time didn't mean much, and he still almost won.

Sonnen isn't even a great win at MW. He just stylistically matched up well with the champ. Anyone he can't take down at will he folds against.

Back to the drawing board newb

Shogun had 3 surgeries and couldn't compete at nearly as high of a level as in his prime. So that win over the shogun name is overrated.

Both Lyoto and Rashad fought at MW and their frames are best fit for the MW division.

Vitor was a deflated version of himself and while I like vitor. A win over him at that time didn't mean much, and he still almost won.

Sonnen isn't even a great win at MW. He just stylistically matched up well with the champ. Anyone he can't take down at will he folds against.

Like I said, read up and familiarize yourself with mma and the ufc. This is all recent stuff you can find information even on this forum.

For basic starters, just to begin with-
Rashad and Lyoto were light heavy weight CHAMPIONS.

Their career primes and greatest achievements were at light heavy weight. They were both undefeated when obtaining CHAMPIONSHIPS at, guess what? Light heavy weight.

They didn't move to mw untill Jones destroyed them making it impossible to stay at lhw. Their careers were/are in their twillights.

The operative word regarding all these fighters including Shogun, they were CHAMPIONS. That means they were the elite echelon, further rashad and lyoto were undefeated.

Read up, fighter chronology is available on this site too

Fedor & Penn were more skilled, but Jones is probably most effective.

Back