Is James Toney broke?

SurreyStud**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why is he fighting in mma? Did he go broke like tyson, with all the money he's made in boxing im suprised to see him in mma.

He wants the fame and attention of being the first big name boxer to cross over into the UFC.

no ive read he invested wisely for a boxer and he has being making good money since before the first ufc was done.he is just mad and looking for attention

I don't know how he is doing currently, but Toney made enough money career to be set for life, but he never made crazy amounts of money. He never headlined a big ppv (or any ppv?), nor did he have a big fan base.

No have you seen his house? I'm sure he is living comfortably and this new MMA craze is to further build on his legacy.

Are you trying to say that MMA fighters aren't good fighters?

You realize that when Ray Mercer fought Kimbo slice he lost right? The only reason he beat Sylvia is because Sylvia is an idiot and tried to stand with him.

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board don't believe this was a legitimate contest... why do you?
CFFC 5 Two Worlds, One Cage Results, Fight Card, News, Videos, Pictures, and more

You will note that the card contained such notable fighters as IFL and WEC vet Deividas Taurosevicius, WEC vet Anthony "Cheesesteak" Morrison, current UFC fighters John "Doomsday" Howard, Nick "The Jersey Devil" Catone and Jim Miller, IFL vet Dante Rivera and UFC veteran Nick Serra. All of their fights are listed on the results... conspicuous by their absence are a certain Kevin Ferguson and Ray Mercer.

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board don't believe this was a legitimate contest... why do you?
CFFC 5 Two Worlds, One Cage Results, Fight Card, News, Videos, Pictures, and more

You will note that the card contained such notable fighters as IFL and WEC vet Deividas Taurosevicius, WEC vet Anthony "Cheesesteak" Morrison, current UFC fighters John "Doomsday" Howard, Nick "The Jersey Devil" Catone and Jim Miller, IFL vet Dante Rivera and UFC veteran Nick Serra. All of their fights are listed on the results... conspicuous by their absence are a certain Kevin Ferguson and Ray Mercer.

I've heard nothing about the NJACB not believing it was a legitimate contest, would you mind directing me somewhere that it was discussed?

I've heard nothing about the NJACB not believing it was a legitimate contest, would you mind directing me somewhere that it was discussed?

"The guys that he worked with in preparation for the exhibition bout with Mercer are none other than the fighters at Randy Couture’s Las Vegas gym and Bas Rutten in California.

The bout will be three 5-minute rounds according to Nick Lembo, counsel to the New Jersey Athletic Control Board. It will also follow the Unified Rules widely accepted as the standard in America. Because it is in exhibition, there will be no judges scoring the bout, but experienced referee Dan Miragliotta will oversee the action inside the cage"
- FREAK SHOW OR CONVERT? KIMBO SLICE INTERVIEW- MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

Ah, when I first read your post I thought you were suggesting that there had been some controversy (aside from the extra long guillotine).

Does the fact that it was an exhibition take away from the fact that he lost because Kimbo took it to the ground instead of standing straight up in front of him? I dont think it does, it still shows that he didnt have enough of a skill set to compete at the time.

As far as mixed martial artists not being real fighters:
Boxings great, its fun to watch, but any good boxer that goes into MMA is going to get his ass kicked by any good wrestler. The reason? Wrestlers arent going to try and stand with the boxer, theyre going to take him down and control him. They'll win because anyone can figure out how to hit someone else, they dont have to be able to throw quality lines. However, wrestling isnt something that can just be picked up mid-fight (whereas striking can be). Not to mention wrestling is just ONE of the skillsets required for MMA (though clearly the best since its not hard to figure out how to keep out of a submission, or as I stated above how to hit someone).

I'm flattered :icon_chee

lol @ that kid mccoy guy, he really has it out for mma. If i was an idiot i'd be getting riled up right now but i gotta admit its pretty funny

lol @ that kid mccoy guy, he really has it out for mma. If i was an idiot i'd be getting riled up right now but i gotta admit its pretty funny

He's one of the best posters in the boxing forum, about boxing. Beyond that, giant box of tools.

He's a loudmouth attention seeker who is sure of himself too much. I think he is probably fine financially but mentally he's fucked.

"The guys that he worked with in preparation for the exhibition bout with Mercer are none other than the fighters at Randy Couture’s Las Vegas gym and Bas Rutten in California.

The bout will be three 5-minute rounds according to Nick Lembo, counsel to the New Jersey Athletic Control Board. It will also follow the Unified Rules widely accepted as the standard in America. Because it is in exhibition, there will be no judges scoring the bout, but experienced referee Dan Miragliotta will oversee the action inside the cage"
- FREAK SHOW OR CONVERT? KIMBO SLICE INTERVIEW- MMA WEEKLY - Mixed Martial Arts & UFC News, Photos, Rankings & more

You realize exhibition doesn't mean fake right? You don't seem too bright. If Floyd Mayweather had an "exhibition" match against Pacquiao and got dropped on his ass, I bet you and pac-man nut suckers would be all over the forums screaming your lungs off. But when it's a boxer losing to a street fighter (LOLOL) it was fake and means nothing, how convenient.

Back