Is it true you can't charge a electric car with a home outlet?

gizmo J

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I googled it and it said you can charge it with a home outlet but a staff member at the house arrest program I'm in said you can't and said that I shouldn't believe everything Google says.

Can you?

what?

ofcourse you can.

dont be silly ts.

I think you need a special charging dock. I don't think regular house outlets can handle enough power, so might be dangerous. If it was safe or possible, people would just buy some home outlet to car charging plug adapter instead of needing special charging docks like you see at store parking lots.

Here the city wanted a law to require all new homes to have EV charging stations built in, which would add to construction costs regardless of if you even have any intent to buy an EV.

What if I charged it overnight?

What's the mileage per hour of charging?
I think mileage per full charge varies based on car and battery. I think it takes a few hours to fully charge at shopping center charging station. I could be wrong.

A Tesla Model S has a battery capacity of 100kWh. A standard 120v wall plug is rated for 15 amps so 1.8 kWh output. If my math is right that's 55 hours to charge a dead Tesla battery to 100% off a basic residential 120v circuit.

Last edited:
You can definitely charge at home. You're shitty American 110v system isn't ideal but it provides enough capacity to charge, just a bit slow.
Lots of your houses have 240v circuits as well, as I understand? For dryers and the like.
That'd do fine for charging faster

You can charge it at home by staring at it very intensely for two hours.

You can charge from a standard power point but it gives you about 1/3 of the battery overnight.

Back