Is it true without the Ten Commandments we wouldn't have morality or ethics?

Is it true without the Ten Commandments we wouldn't have morality or ethics?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's true.

The ancient human beings had morality, way before the Ten Commandments. Nature has its rules, just like all animals has to follow a certain guideline to prolong their life and not only survive but to thrive. And we are part of nature. So we're all part of these universal truths.

Imo, It's all about adapting to your surroundings. The less risk and stress you put yourself the better you're off and the longer you will live. The Ten Commandments is really nonsensical. There is no need for it.

Plain old common sense is the best approach. I also believe morality is innate and it changes and adapts through time.

Just listen to how redundant and silly the Ten Commandments are from the great George Carlin. He said it best.

(Anywho, just thought I'd post this to start a insightful civilized discussion.) Hope it works. : - )

It's not a question of morality would have manifested without the Ten Commandments it did.
As long as there has been society there has been a sense of 'morality' to some degree. It wasn't invented by Abrahamic religions.

Did tribes who weren't exposed to Judeo/Christianity have morality before they were exposed to it? There's still probably some groups, deep in the Amazon, who have no knowledge of the 10 Commandments.

Or are you asking "would people have a sense of morality without organized religion?"

It's not a question of morality would have manifested without the Ten Commandments it did.
As long as there has been society there has been a sense of 'morality' to some degree. It wasn't invented by Abrahamic religions.

Exactly.

Did tribes who weren't exposed to Judeo/Christianity have morality before they were exposed to it? There's still probably some groups, deep in the Amazon, who have no knowledge of the 10 Commandments.

Or are you asking "would people have a sense of morality without organized religion?"

That's a very good point. Thanks.

No I'm just asking if morality would have existed without The Ten Commandments.

The question itself is iffy since it only takes Abrahamic religions into account.

That's my point, not everyone even experienced or heard of the Ten Commandments. So morality must have instinctively arise naturally from the ancient tribes.

No they were all heathens and the entire fun part of heaven is where you fuck with them

Nietzsche certainly did, he was prophetic in pattern recognition a century & some change ahead of times.

With the decline in western religion & increase in scientific/materialistic world view, & new ideologies (all attempting to create a utopia of sorts) replacing religion (nationalism-communism)… nihilism would be inevitable.

Both Dostoevsky & Nietzche had a similar outlook on future:
With no divinity, morality was no longer about what was right or just for human soul, but what one is able get away with to their benefit.

To a large degree they were right.
The nihilism is so thick, we are all deep in it, yet think is completely normal.

Yet prolly an inevitable step as culture evolves. I think postmodernism is a derivative & necessary step, but definitely a flawed/ transient one at best.

Psychiatrist Philosophers Carl Jung, Paul Tillich , & process philosopher Alfred whitehead (are first come to mind) that espoused this as well.

It’s a very unique time we are living in full of dread, entertainment: Internet culture/all connected & isolated, AI technology, and polarization everywhere at all times, is strange times, better for some & worse for others.

Complete digression here, but bottom line is
(Current iteration) of Western religion is dying/last legs perhaps & at
best upgraded into a more Jungian or Meister Eckhart type way would be ideal, but not possible.

Their is hunger for something to replace it, hence the current popularization of ancient wisdom: Neoplatonism/stoicism, & I see a outgrowth of something emerging from all this…

I sense multi perspective & participatory spiritual awareness or movement developing that may lead to something, or not.

Last edited:
Nietzsche certainly did, he was prophetic in pattern recognition a century & some change ahead of times. With the decline in western religion & scientific knowledge & a more materialistic/mechanistic world view, & new ideologies (all attempting to create a utopia of sorts) replacing religion (nationalism-communism) nihilism would be inevitable.
Both Dostoevsky & Nietzche had a similar outlook on future:
With no divinity, morality was no longer about what was right or just for human soul, but what one is able get away with to their benefit.

To a large degree they were right.
The nihilism is so thick, we are all deep in it, yet think is completely normal.

Yet prolly an inevitable step as culture evolves. I think postmodernism is a derivative & necessary step, but definitely a flawed/ transient one at best.

Jung definitely saw this as well, and process philosopher Alfred whitehead as well.

It’s a very unique time we are living in full of dread, entertainment: Internet culture/all connected & isolated, AI technology, and polarization everywhere at all times, is strange times, better for some & worse for others.

Complete digression here, but bottom line is
Western religion is dying/last legs perhaps & at
best upgraded into a more Jungian or Meister Eckhart type way would be ideal, but not possible.
great post shermano i didnt know you went so deep on the philosophical stuff.

although i disagree with you overall point it is rare to see a well written and refrenced post related to a thread like this. takes me ack to the days when there were philosophy and religion threads abound

i don't covet my neighbours wife....however his daughter.....

sexy-ass.gif

I think the question is how is empathy developed?

As a kid, we certainly don't have a whole lot of empathy. I can remember being mean to some kids back in elementary school that I think about now and cant believe I acted like that. I'm not sure where I learned to be more empathetic along the way. Either was taught or developed it through lived experience.

Idk, it’s early. However, it wouldn’t hurt to have the Ten Commandments on the walls of elementary, middle school or high schools. It would teach some rights and wrongs to the youth.

No, it isn’t true.

There are many people, like myself, who do not believe some man in the sky is watching you to see if you “broke the rules,” yet still have a sense of morality. There have always been people like that.

Tbh, I don't believe in god, and I do as much raping, stealing and murdering as I like.

Back