is it true shogun rua did taekwondo

This is to both of you (you and ron powell jr)

I use TKD in my Muay Thai all the time. I love the back-kick. It is readily available to execute against the MT stance and when it lands it does not forgive.

I use the MT teep but I also use a cut kick and fast kick to set up combos. I only throw the spin heel really, really, really, slow because it is dangerous.

I haven't done TKD for about 8 years so more complicated kicks and footwork are tricky but I am experimenting. I want to see if I can pull off a double kick, but turning the second one into an explosive front kick. I used to do this well but now I need practice.

TKD swivels the hips in just about every technique. This involves the entire body through the kick. The foot work can be tricky but when you learn TKD well you can take some useful and dynamic techniques into your MT.

This is for you sir: I use TKD almost exclusively in Muay Thai. It's much better than the teep IMO, and because of the square stance of my opponents, its always there. I also use a hook kick-round house kick combo from the lead leg. If the hook misses then I just fire a roundhouse off the recoil. I also use axe kick behind a 1-2 combo. A lot of guys "hunch" their shoulders while they try to cover up in an effort to tuck their chin. This opens the crown to a heel, which makes people bite their tongue (literally) and has made people cry.

I have my own reasons for not using such flashy kicks, mainly being 100% faithful in the Muay Thai techniques being all i'll ever need, i also don't want to spread my training so thin as to train so many different kicks in place of mastering one kick, and i still think that a round kick or a teep is the most efficient way from point A to B, hook kicks, spin back kicks, axe kicks are all just cheap trickery as far as i'm concerned.

They're on par with using a spinning backfist in a boxing match. But anyway, that's just my own personal philosophy to the striking arts, i don't expect you to see it the same way

....either way i think you'd like these guys quickkick, they use alot of TKD/Karate stuff in pure muay thai matches with very good success.

This guy uses all sorts of kicks in his MT matches.

This american guy Cyrus Washington has several first round KOs in Thailand with fancy stuff, mainly his spinning back kick, it's all over youtube.

I have my own reasons for not using such flashy kicks, mainly being 100% faithful in the Muay Thai techniques being all i'll ever need, i also don't want to spread my training so thin as to train so many different kicks in place of mastering one kick, and i still think that a round kick or a teep is the most efficient way from point A to B, hook kicks, spin back kicks, axe kicks are all just cheap trickery as far as i'm concerned.

They're on par with using a spinning backfist in a boxing match. But anyway, that's just my own personal philosophy to the striking arts, i don't expect you to see it the same way

....either way i think you'd like these guys quickkick, they use alot of TKD/Karate stuff in pure muay thai matches with very good success.

This guy uses all sorts of kicks in his MT matches.

This american guy Cyrus Washington has several first round KOs in Thailand with fancy stuff, mainly his spinning back kick, it's all over youtube.

I appreciate the simplicity of Muay Thai especially for beginners. But I've watched several fights where a guy could've one if he had an extra technique or two (mainly sidekick or turnback kick) Personally I feel like I should use whatever technique the situation calls for, be it a MT style low kick, (I used a thai clinch in a fight b4 I'd even studied MT) a spinning hook, axe, backfist, uppercut whatever. If i can pull it off and make it count...I"m gonna use it.
Now I won't do a 540 hook kick or 720 roundhouse because I feel those are totally unnecessary.

damn, i remember bringing my kids ages 5 & 4 to a muay-thai event last week where my friend is the co-main event. he's background is evidently TKD. he bullrushed his muay thai opponent with punches since he has better boxing & threw that helicopter kick when he cornered his opponent- missed by a hair. he was gassed by the 3rd round & got nailed with an elbow at the back of his neck, he collapsed, was given time to recover, fought for a minute but didn't answered the bell for rd 4.

was the elbow strike legal?

i think tkd is good for kids, less wear and tear than muay thai, and teaches how to be light on the feet. Good kickers at my MMA gym have some TKD experiences as kids.

i think tkd is good for kids, less wear and tear than muay thai, and teaches how to be light on the feet. Good kickers at my MMA gym have some TKD experiences as kids.

TKD is a lot like playing the piano. A lot of people take piano lessons as kids. Many of those people either quit music altogether, or move on from piano to other instruments that they study more seriously. But the piano is their gateway. A few will actually stick with the piano, and take it seriously. They practice hard, go to conservatory, and study with world-class teachers (not the old lady down the street). These are the ones who become concert pianists, recording artists, etc. But because so many people take piano, and either quit or move on to something else, there are a lot of mediocre piano players out there.

TKD is a lot like playing the piano. A lot of people take piano lessons as kids. Many of those people either quit music altogether, or move on from piano to other instruments that they study more seriously. But the piano is their gateway. A few will actually stick with the piano, and take it seriously. They practice hard, go to conservatory, and study with world-class teachers (not the old lady down the street). These are the ones who become concert pianists, recording artists, etc. But because so many people take piano, and either quit or move on to something else, there are a lot of mediocre piano players out there.

This is the best post I have ever read on the subject of Taekwondo bashing. I am now making this my sig.

Edit: It's too long:(.

Last edited:

We should be able to give reps. I'd rep this in a second.

So, I was the guy who posted about Chute Boxe history about a year and a half ago

Basically all the Brazilian MT guys used to be TKD blackbelts in the 70s. You can search under my posts for "chute box" if you want to read the whole deal

So, I was the guy who posted about Chute Boxe history about a year and a half ago

Basically all the Brazilian MT guys used to be TKD blackbelts in the 70s. You can search under my posts for "chute box" if you want to read the whole deal

You should post a link.

I went searching for it and couldn't find it.

I take muay thai classes with a former Chute Boxe coach and we do learn some TKD kicks in addition to boxing. There are belts but it doesn't follow the same progression as most styles and they're actually prijats (sp?) but they're referred to as belts. Black is still the highest and those guys are tough as hell and aggressive. Keep your hands up at all costs! :/

i will sir

You should post a link.

I went searching for it and couldn't find it.

Damn I can't find it either. Well I had some interesting links to news articles from Brazil.

Basically, everybody who does Muay Thai in Brazil can trace their lineage to a few guys: Rudimar Fedrigo (chute boxe), Luis Alves, Flavio Molina, Nelio Naja, and a couple other guys.

And all of these guys were black belts in TKD in the 70s under the same Korean master.

There was a Japanese anime called Sawamu that was translated into Portugese, in which the main character was a karate champion who started doing Muay Thai after being beaten by a Muay Thai Champion named "Chute Boxe"

So these guys essentially created Brazilian Muay Thai in the beginning out of TKD and what they saw in the cartoon. From my research it seems it wasn't until the late 80's that Brazilians went to Thailand to train Muay Thai.

Damn I can't find it either. Well I had some interesting links to news articles from Brazil.

Basically, everybody who does Muay Thai in Brazil can trace their lineage to a few guys: Rudimar Fedrigo (chute boxe), Luis Alves, Flavio Molina, Nelio Naja, and a couple other guys.

And all of these guys were black belts in TKD in the 70s under the same Korean master.

There was a Japanese anime called Sawamu that was translated into Portugese, in which the main character was a karate champion who started doing Muay Thai after being beaten by a Muay Thai Champion named "Chute Boxe"

So these guys essentially created Brazilian Muay Thai in the beginning out of TKD and what they saw in the cartoon. From my research it seems it wasn't until the late 80's that Brazilians went to Thailand to train Muay Thai.

nice info

Back