is it true shogun rua did taekwondo

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shotokankid1**, Aug 3, 2010.

1. shotokankid1**

shotokankid1** Orange Belt

is it true shogun rua did taekwondo.i heard this a couple of times and i saw him try to do a tornado kick against arona.

i also heard somewhere that chutebox taught a kittle taekwondo and thats where he picked it up.

2. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

brazil has a heavy tkd influence..... which is why their chute boxe muay thai system has a belt ranking. but they call their style "muay thai" for a reason.

3. shotokankid1**

interesting

4. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Blue Belt

I have his Dvd collection and in it he teaches the 540 kick that he learned in TKD.

5. ChuteBoxeStomp

ChuteBoxeStomp Blue Belt

Shogun did train in tkd.. along with his brother Ninja.. there is a tkd gym right near their house back in Curitiba (not sure if that is where AS got his black belt..but its possible).. I know when they left chute boxe to open Universidade da luta.. before the new gym was ready they were training at the tkd gym(this was early 2008) with former chute boxe members Andre 'Dida' Amade and Mauricio 'Veio' Amade training there with them (left the gym with them to open UDL.. werent happy with the system and some of the other things going on in chute boxe at the time).. but they werent just training tkd they were doing wrestling and muay thai but just needed a place to train untill their new gym was ready

and the belt ranking system was a chute boxe thing.. to my knowledge they did not teach tkd at chute boxe... chute boxe had their own unique ranking system... they do teach bjj (starting in 91... chute boxe formed in 78 by Rudimar as just a muay thai acadamy) so they ranked their fighters/students in bjj (like every other place) ..but the ranking in muay thai was just something that they did.....but anyway TS, yes Shogun trained tkd along with Ninja.. and the tkd that he trained was real tkd (way before WTF regulations came around)... I think he is a black belt but i am not sure

6. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

Theres been several vids posted here in the past of Rudimar showing TKD kicks at Chute Boxe.

7. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Someone will correct me about the details I'm sure.

I read somewhere on here that Chute Boxe started as TKD then became an amalgam of TKD and MT, so several of their fighters from that era (including Wandy and Anderson) have a TKD influence.

8. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

THis correct. They guys got inspired by an anime and began adding MT to there TKD. There is a thread on this history around here somewhere talking about the major branchings of MT after it left Thailand and got picked up by the rest of the world.

9. shotokankid1**

thanks for the info guys

10. shera

shera Brown Belt

It's pretty apparent in their standup style sometimes. Especially Shogun's tornado kick/ helicopter kick and left-right roundhouse combos vs Rampage back in PrideFC.

11. Too Defensive**

Too Defensive** Banned Banned

Not mention those body kicks he was nailing Machida with. Pure TKD

12. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

For numerous reasons a lot of people are introduced
    to the martial arts through tkd.

13. Kevin Smash

Kevin Smash Purple Belt

i wouldn't be surprised

14. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

nice way of saying "gateway martial arts" ahha

15. Sohei

Sohei Manning the air

Its the most widespread mass marketed martial art.

Which unfortunately leads to Mcdojoism.

16. TKD isn't all that bad if you're serious.

I was pretty badass in TKD as a youngster, winning gold medals at tournaments etc (can't seem to find them anymore though). Then i did kyokushin karate, then boxing throughout highschool.

Then i switched over to Muay Thai during college, having a TKD/karate background made it very easy to switch over.

Muay Thai is by all means is a more direct practical art with time-tested high percentage techniques (honestly all you'll ever need in a kickboxing match as far as kicks is your round kick and push kick), but it's nice having that TKD experience because i'm able to recognize alot of the tricky TKD kicks 'new guys' try to catch people with in sparring.

Any sort of spinning/jumping kick i punish severely with a swift counter in a sparring session, it's kind of a good way to keep these new guys from spazzing out and hurting people with spinning hook kicks to the head, it's also a way to make sure they're using MUAY THAI fundamentals because it is a MUAY THAI gym after all.

Ok i'm done ranting.

17. quikkick

quikkick Technical Brilliance, Prowess, and Analysis

LA......the city of out of town Wanna-Be's
    Do you still use TKD?

18. Oh Mah Gawd

Oh Mah Gawd Orange Belt

This is to both of you (you and ron powell jr)

I use TKD in my Muay Thai all the time. I love the back-kick. It is readily available to execute against the MT stance and when it lands it does not forgive.

I use the MT teep but I also use a cut kick and fast kick to set up combos. I only throw the spin heel really, really, really, slow because it is dangerous.

I haven't done TKD for about 8 years so more complicated kicks and footwork are tricky but I am experimenting. I want to see if I can pull off a double kick, but turning the second one into an explosive front kick. I used to do this well but now I need practice.

TKD swivels the hips in just about every technique. This involves the entire body through the kick. The foot work can be tricky but when you learn TKD well you can take some useful and dynamic techniques into your MT.

19. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

Very interesting, I never knew that the Rua's ahd TkD behind them. It does makes sense going back to some of Shoguns older fights.

20. BakedBrotato

BakedBrotato Guest

I love how much people bring up the tornado kick against Arona.... despite the fact that he missed.