Is it safe to say Gilbert Melendez is a UFC bust?

Obligatory.

29696350-1f77-11e5-bfc0-0fdfa7e7fd58_giblert.jpg

Not including his last fight his loses have been to current, former or future champions. It's not like he's losing to scrubs on fight pass.

Trying to decide if this is ruthless, or just retarded.

Came to the UFC on the back end of his career. Lost 2 questionable, if not bad, decisions to 2 of the last 4 155 champs. Lost to a 3rd 155 champ when he was at his peak.

Personally responsible for the fight of the year in 2013. And anyone who says Diego made that fight has no idea what's going on. 90% of fighters would have felt the striking advantage Gilbert had, and coasted through a stand up clinic.

He came from Strikeforce, not the hall of fame. The fuck do people want?

Nah, he looked great against Edson despite getting his leg kicked off. I think he still gives problems to lots of the top 15. Hell he just had a pretty close fight with the current LW champ. I remember reading quite a few doggies scoring that fight for Gilbert.

Lost a controversial decision against benson in a fight for the belt
Lost to Pettis who was on fire that period. (pre USADA)
Lost a controversial decision against Alvarez, who is now a champ. Many thought he won the fight.
Lost a clear decision to Barbosa.

He's not a p4p king, but he fought tough opposition and with some luck he could have been a champ.

And now translated in to shertard language: He is a can.

I love Gil but his best days are behind him.

He doesn't have the fire in his belly that he used to have.

He came into the division with a lot of mileage and he's only lost to the best in the division. He's not gonna be a champ, but he'll probably stay a pretty top tier guy for quite a while.

Everyone would be saying the same thing about Eddie if he'd lost against RDA or Pettis.

Trying to decide if this is ruthless, or just retarded.

Came to the UFC on the back end of his career.
Even though I agree that the criticism is harsh, I disagree heavily that he came in on the backend of his career, I think he was right at the peak of his skill and in ring performance right around that time. I think the loss to Pettis (both the decisive way he lost as well as the fact it was his second title match loss in a short span) really put a huge dent in his confidence and will to push himself to the very top level. He's still really, really good, but doesn't have that last few percent.

You cant honestly think that same outcome would happen to gil. Good KO tho
Nah, definitely not. Giblert has a better chin than Patricky. I'm just saying that Chandler wouldn't be an easy fight at all, especially for today's Giblert.

Nah, definitely not. Giblert has a better chin than Patricky. I'm just saying that Chandler wouldn't be an easy fight at all, especially for today's Giblert.
Yea thats true i think it would b a great fight. OG sf champ vs bellator champ. Wat happend to the punk thompson? I think i missed his bellator debut way back

I don't know what bust means just know it because some retards write Bernie or Bust all the time <39>

it can't be a bust because he was never really all that great in SF to begin with. i mean honestly, he almost lost to Josh Thomson in his last SF fight, he had a competitive decision against an unheralded Masvidal, and beat a couple of hyped Japanese guys who were completely out of their element in USA MMA.

very predictable, plodding, safe fighter whose only win in the UFC is against Diego Sanchez, lol.

and on top of that got busted for PEDs coming out of one of the most vocal anti-PED vegan camps in all of MMA

Yea thats true i think it would b a great fight. OG sf champ vs bellator champ. Wat happend to the punk thompson? I think i missed his bellator debut way back
Thomson beat some cans in Bellator and was about to fight Chandler in May but got injured. That's about it, really lol.

Yes

But his fights vs Bendo & Alvarez could have easily gone his way

He's always been overrated from day one. I remember back in the days, sites like MMAweekly would always prop up Melendez for crushing unknown Chinese fighters. In their rankings, they often unanimously voted Melendez as the top lightweight in the world. I'm just so glad I stop going to that site. lol

Despite this, he barely squeak by most opponents and was handed gifted decisions from left to right. The only fighters that he could finish were these unknown Chinese fighters. Despite this, he also got crushed by one of these overrated fighters.

Gilbert Melendez is one of those fighters who people will say in 10 years was a joke. The guy was strictly propaganda during the dark days of MMA.

He's always been overrated from day one. I remember back in the days, sites like MMAweekly would always prop up Melendez for crushing unknown Chinese fighters. In their rankings, they often unanimously voted Melendez as the top lightweight in the world. I'm just so glad I stop going to that site. lol

Despite this, he barely squeak by most opponents and was handed gifted decisions from left to right. The only fighters that he could finish were these unknown Chinese fighters. Despite this, he also got crushed by one of these overrated fighters.

Gilbert Melendez is one of those fighters who people will say in 10 years was a joke. The guy was strictly propaganda during the dark days of MMA.
Yes! ITS ONLY LEDIGIMIT IF ITS IN TEH YUFFSIE

Never thought he was as great as others made him out to be. Always happy to see him lose.

Yes! ITS ONLY LEDIGIMIT IF ITS IN TEH YUFFSIE
Let's evaluate Melendez' career. Shall we?

He started out his career crushing cans until he was handed that gifted decision against Guida in which Clay should have won. After that, he got smoked by freakin’ Ishida, who would have gotten squash in the UFC at the time by guys like Sherk, KenFlo, and so on. He went on to crush more overrated fighters like Aoki and got not one but two screwjob victories over Thomson before losing to Henderson.
After that, if it was Pride rules, Diego Sanchez would have won based on that 3rd round knockdown alone. (notice the irony that El Nino would have loss under the rules of the organization that overrated him)
After that, he went on to get his ass kicked in three straight fights. Had he not cheated, Al Iaquinta would have murder him as well making him 1-5 under the UFC. And if the UFC was going by Pride rules, Giblert would have been 0-6 justifiably.

I don’t see how that guy is not a fluke. He’s a fluke but the fact that he cheated to get to where he is deserves his name to be erased from the sport. It’ll only be fair and serve as a lesson to all who decides to cheat.

Back