Is it safe to say Gilbert Melendez is a UFC bust?

Trying to decide if this is ruthless, or just retarded.

Came to the UFC on the back end of his career. Lost 2 questionable, if not bad, decisions to 2 of the last 4 155 champs. Lost to a 3rd 155 champ when he was at his peak.

Personally responsible for the fight of the year in 2013. And anyone who says Diego made that fight has no idea what's going on. 90% of fighters would have felt the striking advantage Gilbert had, and coasted through a stand up clinic.

He came from Strikeforce, not the hall of fame. The fuck do people want?

But Strikeforce talent pool was very high.......look at how successful alot of these Strikeforce fighters are.

Rockhold, Werdum, Cormier, Lawler, Overeem, Rousey and etc.

And being the Strikeforce LW champ? There was a lot of expectation.

I agree that Gil had tough and very close match-ups and his overall career doesn't warrant the "overrated" title, but it doesn't change the fact that he's still 1-4 in the UFC

His record isn't good but the average quality of his fights has been really high.

They never, ever give former champs from another org an easy run of things. It's a sink or swim game but the UFC is brutal to other champs. They either want you to come in and murk everyone en route to a title (which has never happened iirc) or you'll get beat right off the bat and prove how superior the UFC is (which is almost always the case). You can count the number of people that were champions in major orgs before coming to the UFC and winning a title there on one hand.

If you don't call Gil a bust you're lying to yourself.

He gets a terrible time from the Zuffa Zombies because they didn't watch him prior.

He has been a bust though, yes.

Who knows though? Maybe he'll go on an Overeem esque run to the title.

That fight with Alvarez was very close too. Im still hopeful that something will happen. Maybe fighting Will Brooks would be a good indication.

Meh. I wouldnt write it off totally but I really dont see it happening. Gil just doesnt have the firepower to compete with the real top guys anymore IMO.

Back