Is it possible?

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to get into fighting shape and possibly do an MMA bout or two. I am out of shape, fat, but in relatively good health and am 22 years old.

I need to get my diet in check (which won't be tough, I have just been lazy)
I need to get on a good cardio routine (see above about being tough)

I am 6 weigh about 200 lbs. I would like to get to a strong 170 or 185. I probably have about 40 pounds of fat to lose. What I plan to do is cut until I get to around 165 or so and bulk up from there.

I am only good if I work under a specific goal, so I would like to start on Jan 9th (after I get a physical from my doctor) and be done dropping the weight by the end of June (My birthday)

At this point, I will start a clean bulk.

As far as training goes, I am just doing BJJ right now. I will step up to Muay Thai and more No-Gi soon. I would like to be able to fight by this time next year.

Are these realistic goals?

End of June: Lean 165
End of September: Clean bulked 170-185
End of December 06: Fighting shape

6 months is plenty of time to lose 40lbs of fat
Putting on 10lbs of muscle isn't nearly as easy but can be done... depends on how you're built right now and what you have to do to drop the fat
1 year is plenty of time to get into fighting shape... that doesn't mean you'll be ready to fight though. Your skills will probably be hurting.

I love the "is it possible" threads... they always have the same answer:

YOU WON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY

Yeh easy. IMO dont cut down to 165 then bulk up, thats fucked. From Feburary this year i went from 205 and fucking out of shape (heavy drinker/drug taker and smoker) to fighting shape, 176, 10%bf and fit as an ox by October, im now around 180-185 cos i let my diet slip. But with proper eating/ cutting out alcohol if you drink and a good strength and conditioning routine + skill training its a realistic goal, your body will naturally get into shape. Oh yeh and im the same height and age as you too.

I am 5'4" and 155. However, I was 200 lost 40 pounds just doing no-gi grappling for six months. The trick is exercising every day; if you are not grappling some day then go run 1/2 an hour then drill for an hour yourself on a mat (I did 2 minute rounds/2 minute rest). You also have to watch your weight; however after a while you will be eating more and still losing weight due to your increased calorie needs.

Urban said:
I love the "is it possible" threads... they always have the same answer:

YOU WON'T KNOW UNTIL YOU TRY

I guess I should have titled it "is this realistic"? Seems so.

The getting in shape part is entirely realistic. You can get to that weight, and get in fighting shape. But i wouldn't lose all of that weight, then try to gain muscle, it will be a lot harder that way. To give an example, even though i don't want to bring up bodybuilding on this forum, those guys bulk up like crazy in the off season. They gain a lot of weight and muscle mass, and then when its time for a big competition they lose it all, and once they get to their weight they are pretty cut. But if you didn't want to bulk up, im sure if you ate a lot of protein (at least 1g/ lb), took creatine, and worked out a lot during your weight loss, you would not only lose all of the fat, but gain muscle while doing it, and be pretty close to your goal weight. That would be my recomendation. By the way, don't you live in Arlington? If so, where do train?

Don't cut the weight, then add the muscle, especially 40lbs. That just sounds bad for your heart.

dont burn yourself out on training. it sounds like your just getting back in- its good to ahve goals but small steps are the key

CowboyPete said:
Don't cut the weight, then add the muscle, especially 40lbs. That just sounds bad for your heart.

From what I have read, you need a caloric surplus to build solid muscle. You need a caloric deficiency to lose weight.

Nate Pringle said:
dont burn yourself out on training. it sounds like your just getting back in- its good to ahve goals but small steps are the key

I don't plan on it. I will change my diet immediately after talking with my doctor. I think I may have some signs of diabetes and I want to get it straightened out through proper bloodwork before I do anything.

I will stick to BJJ 2-3x a week and do some cardio 2x a week that I don't run. I will slowly step this up as I monitor my weight.

Valgarv said:
6 months is plenty of time to lose 40lbs of fat
Putting on 10lbs of muscle isn't nearly as easy but can be done... depends on how you're built right now and what you have to do to drop the fat
1 year is plenty of time to get into fighting shape... that doesn't mean you'll be ready to fight though. Your skills will probably be hurting.

I disagree. I think it would be much easier to gain 10lbs of muscle than it would be to drop 40lbs of fat.

CowboyPete said:

Possibly, but when you cut weight you tend to lose some muscle as well as the fat. So why put in on just to lose it again. Best is put the muscle on as you're losing the fat, IMHO.

Back