Is it possible...

Coleman

White Belt
Reaction score
I did a quick search and couldnt find an answer to this so I'll throw it out.

Is it possible to gain muscle mass while training just martial arts? I see a lot of the better fighters in my class and most of them have pretty good muscle mass and are pretty ripped. I've asked all of them and none of them lift either.

I'm about 5'9" and weigh 155 lbs. I'm pretty lean but I would like to put on about 10 lbs of muscle mass. How can I go about doing this? I train martial arts enough so I don't have the time or desire to lift weights.

Properly subject your muscles to a greater stress than they have adapted to and they will grow.

You can get bigger by doing bodyweight only exercises if they are more resistance than you are doing now. But remember it will only get you so far (or big).

For the 155 weight class body weight should get you ripped and improve strength. You could probably put on the weight with strict diet and body weigth, but moving iron is more efficent.

High intensity workout will help you get shredded.

And getting lean too.

Perhaps many of them had sizeable muscle mass already. Some people are like that. Hard cardio training will shred fat and give you the "ripped" appearance.

How old are you? If your younger, you can gain 10 lbs of muscle while training with grappling. Train hard and eat alot.

I'm a big proponent of eating every couple of hours to maintain/increase size.

Back