Is it possible to run too much?

adambomb

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I recently lost my job and am on unemployment and while money is tight I have mass amounts of time to devote to training. That being said I am now jogging 8 miles a day, everyday, broken up into 2, 4-mile jaunts. I've been doing this for about a week now and I feel great, but at what point should I cut back if at all?

Thanks.

What are you training for? Yes, to much cardio can be catabolic and you loose to much strength and size. Vary always how much and how intense you run. 1 day you run 3 miles, next day you run 6 miles up hill, next day you do sprints, you get the idea..

adambomb said:
I recently lost my job and am on unemployment and while money is tight I have mass amounts of time to devote to training. That being said I am now jogging 8 miles a day, everyday, broken up into 2, 4-mile jaunts. I've been doing this for about a week now and I feel great, but at what point should I cut back if at all?

Thanks.

Do you train anything else?

If I didn't have anything else to do...man...I'd be doing jits for a day, running, lifting, learning a stand up art. Oh man...the possibilities.

If you like to run run as much as you feel comfortable doing just make sure you are eating right and getting good sleep. Check out this link it is about Rocky Marciano and his training routine he basically walked/ran 10-15 miles everyday the entire time he was fighting he is also probably has the best conditioning of any fighter ever.
Jack Dempsey another well conditioned athlete did 8 miles of roadwork every day until he was 56 didnt seem tohurt him none since he was one of the first fighters to pull in a million dollar gate.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047//stamina.html

Duncon76 said:
What are you training for? Yes, to much cardio can be catabolic and you loose to much strength and size. Vary always how much and how intense you run. 1 day you run 3 miles, next day you run 6 miles up hill, next day you do sprints, you get the idea..

I am training to be in the best possible shape for fighting. My last two fights I gassed out due to poor cardio work despite the fact that I was doing around 2-3 hours a day of grappling, bag work, calistenics, etc.

I was planning on varying my running workouts here shotrly, from basically my current regimen everyday by cutting the running in half (day wise) and on the other days ride bike. That way I hit my hole leg as well as get the cardio benefits.

LCDforMe said:
Do you train anything else?

If I didn't have anything else to do...man...I'd be doing jits for a day, running, lifting, learning a stand up art. Oh man...the possibilities.

I do a lot of bag work and mat drills for the most part. My kicks are lacking so I figured I'd take my free time and focus on getting them more effective.

I don't lift. I used to powerlift and bodybuild when I was in high school but I've strayed away from the lifting and instead focus on yoga, piyometrics, calistenics and cardio.

What i learned from running X-country was, too many miles are bad, but

NOT AS BAD AS BAD FORM.

If nobody has ever taught you how to run, then find someone to teach you. If you are putting in 8 miles a day, and in bad form, you are going to get injuries, and those injuries are going to be permanent and lifelong.

If you run, do a rotation of types..

Monday) Intervals (if you can find a school track), Sprint 300 yards, walk the last 100 yards, and then sprint 300 walk 100 etc.. This teaches your muscles to build quick recovery. While your walking, fingers interlaced on the back of your head, open up the lungs and suck in as much air as possible. Don't stop moving through, and NEVER drink from a water fountain, you suck in a lot of air when you do, and get a mean side cramp from it.

Tuesday) Do some hills. Find a hill, go up. On top, do some leg workouts like grapevines, running lines on a tennis court, and jogging backwards (works the quads quite a bit and the calves)

Wednesday) LSD ~ Long Slow Distance. Go about 6-8miles but take it slow.

Thursday) No running! Recovery time. 1 cup sea salt in the bathtub, soak for 20 minutes. Get to bed early.

Friday) Sprints ~ 100 yard sprint, walk 300 yards, sprint 100 meters, walk 300 yards.

Saturday) Regular run. Get about 4 miles in the day time, and leave it at that.

Sunday) Day of rest so says God. So rest!

Before you do any running though, warm up. Slow jog, about 2 laps. Same with cooldown. Proper warmup and cooldown is essential.

The above workout is what I use to do in high school, so I know it works. If you want to, get some weights in on Tuesday and Friday. Remember, the resting days are just as important as the workout days.

So there you go, a running workout for the week. Intervals SUCK. Trust me, but those work your mental game as well as your conditioning.

twoblink said:
What i learned from running X-country was, too many miles are bad, but

NOT AS BAD AS BAD FORM.

If nobody has ever taught you how to run, then find someone to teach you. If you are putting in 8 miles a day, and in bad form, you are going to get injuries, and those injuries are going to be permanent and lifelong.

If you run, do a rotation of types..

Monday) Intervals (if you can find a school track), Sprint 300 yards, walk the last 100 yards, and then sprint 300 walk 100 etc.. This teaches your muscles to build quick recovery. While your walking, fingers interlaced on the back of your head, open up the lungs and suck in as much air as possible. Don't stop moving through, and NEVER drink from a water fountain, you suck in a lot of air when you do, and get a mean side cramp from it.

Tuesday) Do some hills. Find a hill, go up. On top, do some leg workouts like grapevines, running lines on a tennis court, and jogging backwards (works the quads quite a bit and the calves)

Wednesday) LSD ~ Long Slow Distance. Go about 6-8miles but take it slow.

Thursday) No running! Recovery time. 1 cup sea salt in the bathtub, soak for 20 minutes. Get to bed early.

Friday) Sprints ~ 100 yard sprint, walk 300 yards, sprint 100 meters, walk 300 yards.

Saturday) Regular run. Get about 4 miles in the day time, and leave it at that.

Sunday) Day of rest so says God. So rest!

Before you do any running though, warm up. Slow jog, about 2 laps. Same with cooldown. Proper warmup and cooldown is essential.

The above workout is what I use to do in high school, so I know it works. If you want to, get some weights in on Tuesday and Friday. Remember, the resting days are just as important as the workout days.

So there you go, a running workout for the week. Intervals SUCK. Trust me, but those work your mental game as well as your conditioning.

Today is Monday and I'll test it out for a week, not like I have anything better to do, lol. You really sound like you know your shit, and this looks like a nice schedule.

That is a great question to ask forrest Gump.

jk, I have no idea but that was funny.

I did the intervals at the track today (300 yard sprint, 100 yard walk). I didn't know how long I should do it for so I went with a total of 8 times around the track, 2 miles. It was pretty intense though and showed me that I still need a lot of work despite being able to run 8 miles. At one point I really felt like throwing up.

yeah I've over run & actually weakend my body before, I was over training, did too much running
too much weights, too much other exercises and my immune system was down because it was
too busy recovering my body from the exercises...

the guy that invented PowerBars ran marathons for years touting his product... guy died of heart disease...

think about it

The human body was never meant to be constantly in a Stress Mode. If you run too much it increases your chances of a Heart Attack.

If you are running that much i hope your doing forms of resistance training as well. Your gonna lose strengths make sure youe EAT EAT EAT

RizRan said:
If you are running that much i hope your doing forms of resistance training as well. Your gonna lose strengths make sure youe EAT EAT EAT

With all the running I have been doing lately I started eating like a horse. I'm not in danger of losing weight this way which isn't what I want to do, just up my conditioning. I don't do resitences training, btw. I do a ton of calistenics, about an hour of yoga and massive amounts of piyometrics.

It remains to be seen if I will lose any strength.

Back