Is it possible to be demoted? (Kang spoiler)

Deloitte

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Is it possible to be demoted if you lose a BJJ or MMA match in such a humialiating fashion for your belt level? I'm not bashing Kang at all, but he literally screamed out TRIANGLE ME in that fight. Could he be demoted to a blue belt?

In a similar situation, one of my teammates crossed his legs in a recent tournament (He's a brown belt) and he got submitted via ankle lock. Will he get demoted for such a rookie mistake?

In a similar situation, one of my teammates crossed his legs in a recent tournament (He's a brown belt) and he got submitted via ankle lock. Will he get demoted for such a rookie mistake?

Considering your teammate must have taken the back of a brown belt to get there ... my answer is no. He's obviously a skilled brown belt. Everybody makes mistakes occasionally, even black belts.

Is it possible to be demoted if you lose a BJJ or MMA match in such a humialiating fashion for your belt level? I'm not bashing Kang at all, but he literally screamed out TRIANGLE ME in that fight. Could he be demoted to a blue belt?

Absolutly not. Losing is no reason to demote someone, no matter how or who they loose too. That individual got to where they were through skill and knowlage in the art. To take away that symbol of skill (the belt) based on one, two or hell even 10 bad performances is a slap in the face.

Loosing bad to someone you should beat is humiliating enough, a demotion is rubbing salty alchohol in the wound.

And after reading your post I have to ask: Have you ever competed?

Demotion is not necessary.

At most tournaments I have been to, the losing brown belt will perform ritual suicide on the mat as it is the only way for him to regain his lost honor.

His brown belt will then be stripped from his body and awarded to the winner of the purple belt division. Thus the cycle can begin again next tournament.

i wouldnt even think you'd get demoted for losing in a bjj match, much less an MMA match.

I have never heard of demoting in any martial arts..

Does that really happen? Lol

I demoted myself the other day after a terrible night in class where I got tapped by EVERYONE. of course i'm only a 1 stripe(now no stripe)white belt.

At most tournaments I have been to, the losing brown belt will perform ritual suicide on the mat as it is the only way for him to regain his lost honor.

His brown belt will then be stripped from his body and awarded to the winner of the purple belt division. Thus the cycle can begin again next tournament.

That's true. I saw that recently at a local MMA match. It was brutal.

This is why I want to stay at purple belt for as long as possible!

So that's what happened to the brown belt in our gym, the black belts told me he left the country.

i heard of a guy that was a blue belt then decided to switch schools to the gracie academy in torrance where his belt was not honored by rorian.

he had someone from a gym who was a purple, but didn't train for a very long time, so when he came back he demoted himself to blue till he unrusted and regained purple level

The funniest post I have ever read.

Jiu jitsu is a zero sum game. You can't all improve. You have to seize knowledge and belts from others.

Tournaments are the best place to take belts.

I've seen a few cases where a student from another school demoted himself while training with us. In another case my instructor "promoted" a student to a rank he had been given elsewhere (but wasn't up to our standards) although he had never demoted himself. I know of one instance where a black belt demoted one of his students and another case where a senior (but still white belt) student ripped a blue belt off another student after a particularly bad roll and returned it to the instructor.

.... and another case where a senior (but still white belt) student ripped a blue belt off another student after a particularly bad roll and returned it to the instructor.

Wow, such disrespect should get you killed by the instructor. Especially if he were the one to promote said blue belt. Thats basically saying "why the hell did you promote this guy?" and challenging the coach/sensei/instructor's judgement.

Self demotions I'm not really counting.

Jiu jitsu is a zero sum game. You can't all improve. You have to seize knowledge and belts from others.

Tournaments are the best place to take belts.

It's like that game "Hungry Hungry Hippos". There's only so many marbles to go around!

Back