Is it luck, which country you are born and you grow up in?

Is it luck, which country you are born and you grow up in?

• Total voters

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score

I mean just imagine being born in Afghanistan of all places, which is ranked least happiest country in the world.

You got to say you're dealt a pretty shitty hand right off the start.

So, I feel blessed to be born in Canada, better hand I could ever ask for to start your life in.

I don't know how that could be anything other than luck. From the kid's perspective anyway.

On the other hand if your parents set sail for the New World to escape the Irish Potato Famine or something...what's luck to you was hard work and planning for them.

More than half the world's population live in Asia so when you think about it the odds were pretty good that I should have been born there. On the flip side, though, I was born in NY because that's where my parents met and bumped uglies. Depends how you look at it, I guess.

It's destiny based on your good or bad deeds in former lifes. If you did bad things you would be reborn as a german as punishment.
Oh wait ...

Last edited:
Yeah I'm here in Africa and the struggle is real. It makes me feel sad seeing the kind of poverty people can be born into and kind of life they have to lead. Happy I was born in a place like the UK

I'm not sure how happiness works.

Let's say a random boy was born in the US. Let's say he likes playing with dolls when he is 3 years old, and then his parents give him the chop because he is a trans baby. This child is probably going to be miserable, and commit suicide.

Now take a random child in a less developed country. Because the country is "less developed", and they are expected to work on the family farm 10 hours a day, are they less happy? Are they worse off?

IDK..........

No, my mom made a choice to move countries, so me and my sister could grow up with our people.

View attachment 1022623

I'm going for all the flags
7992.jpg

I'm not sure how happiness works.

Let's say a random boy was born in the US. Let's say he likes playing with dolls when he is 3 years old, and then his parents give him the chop because he is a trans baby. This child is probably going to be miserable, and commit suicide.

Now take a random child in a less developed country. Because the country is "less developed", and they are expected to work on the family farm 10 hours a day, are they less happy? Are they worse off?

IDK..........

That's a very good observation. I think they mean happiness in terms of a general happiness among the mass populace. Yes there are exceptional cases where you are worst off because you were born in a shitty family regardless of the country you are in.

Or you were born with some genetic deformation or handicap of some kind. It's still possible to be unhappy in a country that supposedly be the best country to thrive in.

And you can say the same thing for countries that are not known to be happy. There are people, although few and far between that thrive in countries that are impoverished.

So a individual case, one and one basis. Yes you'll have exceptions to the rule. But in the overall spectrum. You have better chance to be happy and thriving in a country like Finland rather than in a country like Afghanistan.

I don't know how that could be anything other than luck. From the kid's perspective anyway.

On the other hand if your parents set sail for the New World to escape the Irish Potato Famine or something...what's luck to you was hard work and planning for them.
They say "you make your own luck"

But maybe they should say
"you make your offspring's luck"

Thanks dead people I never met.
I'm doing pretty ok.

So, I feel blessed to be born in Canada, better hand I could ever ask for to start your life in.
Canada is 13th. There's 12 better hands you could have asked for.

I think it is luck where you're born but not luck witch countries are happiest. All sorts of factors such as geography, resources, history, cultural trends and luck make some countries in a much better position than others to be happy.

My great great grandfather came here, so he had a great idea, now I’m looking at moving as I don’t think this retarded woke shit is going to end. America had a great run

Back