is it just me, or are the crowds a lot quicker to boo these days?

pointfighter

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For awhile there it seemed like the casual fan was becoming more educated on MMA: Recognizing subs, cheering for takedowns, escapes, and guard passes...

But the fast few UFC and Bellator cards it seems like the crowds have regressed to the early days of booing almost all grappling.

I'm appalled by how fast these "fans" boo'd the ground and pound.

[YT]watch?v=nhGfh0W8t80[/YT]

Japan still p4p #1 crowd

and LMFAO @ that video. Sacha Baron Cohen is a comedic genius

dont hate on the boo guy!!

but yeah it seems to be that way. It used to be when ppl started working their BJJ but nowadays ppl boo when ever the action slows down. Doesnt matter if its on the feet or on the ground.

I think so, but I think it's more dependant on what happens on the prelims. If your first 3-6 fights (depending on the show) all go to decision or are long fights in general, whether they're "boring" or not, crowds start to get restless. You can only handle so much fighting, remember these cards usually have bell times of 6, so the crowd has 4 hours before the actual main card starts. So by the time the fights everyone really paid to see starts, crowds are ready to shit on anything.

I think a lot of the reason you see it more now than in recent memory is over exposure. When there was only one show call it every six weeks, fight fans were pumped to see ANYTHING, these days there's another fight event tomorrow/next week etc that might be better.

People are getting less willing to put up with anything they perceive to be "boring". Now that the MMA fad has slowed considerably, people are quicker on the trigger to express their feelings.

Boxing, and even Pro Wrestling to some extent have become the sort of trendy alternatives to MMA, of which grappling has always been considered something that only the hardcore fans could appreciate. People don't care anymore, if they think it sucks they'll say so.

People are getting less willing to put up with anything they perceive to be "boring". Now that the MMA fad has slowed considerably, people are quicker on the trigger to express their feelings.

Boxing, and even Pro Wrestling to some extent have become the sort of trendy alternatives to MMA, of which grappling has always been considered something that only the hardcore fans could appreciate. People don't care anymore, if they think it sucks they'll say so.

You're half right.

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/vince-mcmahon-still-man-lead-wwe-105800052.html

The empire is crumbling.

shit feel like i got ricked rolled.

funny thing is i think i remember seen this vid supper long ago.

fricken made my stomach sick

Yes and it's annoying/embarrassing as eff

You only see this in America, other crowds arent as disrespectful to the sport and appreciate the ground game chessmatch.

So do you just not watch the Brazil cards?

When the UFC first started putting on shows in Brazil I loved the enthusiasm of the crowds.

As I saw more and more events I liked them less and less, with the lowest of the low being the blatantly corrupt UFC FN: Shogun vs. Henderson 2

If you can watch that card top to bottom and not see the corrupt officiating and Brazilian bias, you are either blind or a fanboy

Back