Opinion Is it fair to vilify people who aren't sensitive to racial stereotypes?

Horse Style

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Years ago, Patrice O'Neal and Jim Norton were discussing Independence Day on the Opie & Anthony show and Jim Norton ranted about how offensive Judd Hirsch's over-the-top Jewish character acts. Norton is Jewish so he's sensitive to the stereotype but Patrice admitted he didn't see a problem with it when watching the movie.

Patrice then admitted that he probably shouldn't be so hard on white people who don't see a big deal with black stereotypes because they just wouldn't know it's a big deal until someone points out why.

Here's the link to the segment if you want to hear their full opinion. It's almost 30-minutes long but it's funny as hell.

Do you guys get mad when someone jokes or makes light of a stereotype about your race/ethnicity and do you think it's fair that they are vilified for it?

Jim should just be happy they didn't put a Yarmulke on Mickey Rooney and wheel him out to talk about gefilte fish and shit for Independence Day.

Racial stereotypes based in reality are the best!

How else will we learn? Sometimes a short, sharp shock is necessary. No one's being written off by vilification except poor thinkers and the insecure.

Years ago you could do comedy about racial stereotypes. Blazing Saddles or Kentucky Fried Movie could never get made today and both were brilliant comedy. If Richard Pryor hadn’t helped Mel Brooks write it, Blazing Saddles would probably not be shown now. “Scuse me while I whip this out ...”

Most all stereotypes (racial or otherwise) have a grain of truth to them whether they're offensive or not, so I don't see a problem. If the more intelligent people of the world are able to keep their sensitivity levels in check and don't get worked up over something that is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things, then there's no reason they should be criticized over it.

Too many people are spoiled and entitled nowadays. They think every little thing that offends them needs to have repercussions brought down against it. Others are more deceptive about it, and are simply feigning outrage as a way to gain social power (i.e. 90% of SJW's.)

Years ago, Patrice O'Neal and Jim Norton were discussing Independence Day on the Opie & Anthony show and Jim Norton ranted about how offensive Judd Hirsch's over-the-top Jewish character acts. Norton is Jewish so he's sensitive to the stereotype but Patrice admitted he didn't see a problem with it when watching the movie.

Patrice then admitted that he probably shouldn't be so hard on white people who don't see a big deal with black stereotypes because they just wouldn't know it's a big deal until someone points out why.

Here's the link to the segment if you want to hear their full opinion. It's almost 30-minutes long but it's funny as hell.

Do you guys get mad when someone jokes or makes light of a stereotype about your race/ethnicity and do you think it's fair that they are vilified for it?

If Norton was actually Jewish, they would have kicked him out by now. Like Rich Vos.

And Judd Hirsch is Jewish, and he chose to play the character that way. That's different from someone else making a stereotype.

And when Patrice says "Ain't that them?!?", he's kidding.

But yes, to your point, people should be able to joke about race. But not everyone is Patrice, Norton, and Cumia. So their attempts are likely to seem racist, simply cuz of how unfunny they are.

I don't really get offended by that stuff anymore, especially jokes and comics. They are there telling jokes and trying to get laughs. If I laugh at Scientology jokes I better be OK when they make fun of my religion. If I laugh at slightly racist jokes I should be OK if they make fun of my race. It's just jokes and words. They really don't offend me.

Seems like some African American people and white liberals can't take a joke. I never really see any other groups complaining about offensive stuff.

Bill Burr made this point years ago about how audiences think they have any authority to establish which jokes are jokes and which jokes are dyed-in-the-wool real fuck-you-where-you-came-from invectives. It's fair for both parties to express themselves, and Burr creates the proper context for censorship (you pay for it).

What kills me is that this indicates that there are some people who aren't laughing with the joke but ARE a part of those kinds of jokes.

Casual racism is like 90% of my material. Sometimes I worry there'll be a day I'll have to stoop to Trump jokes to get by

I don’t get offended by the meanwhile In Russia memes.
<Fedor23>

people are too sensitive now lol, i cant wait for the pendulum to swing back to reality

I could give two shits, call me a Guini, call me a whop, call me whatever you want, just don’t call me late for dinner....Seriously, I don’t give a shit, nothing like that phases me in the least..

You gotta be able to laugh at yourself.

Patrices take on Obama being elected really surprised me. Thats a black perspective i never considered. Then other black callers came in amd debated him. It was astounding stuff. Look for it on youtube.

If Norton was actually Jewish, they would have kicked him out by now. Like Rich Vos.

And Judd Hirsch is Jewish, and he chose to play the character that way. That's different from someone else making a stereotype.

And when Patrice says "Ain't that them?!?", he's kidding.

But yes, to your point, people should be able to joke about race. But not everyone is Patrice, Norton, and Cumia. So their attempts are likely to seem racist, simply cuz of how unfunny they are.
Its also the context of where and why they are saying it. They are makin each other laugh. Theres no real hatred involved.

I don't see the big deal. David, played by Jeff Goldblum wasn't overly jewy in the least and brought plenty of balance to the film.

Back