Opinion Is it fair to vilify people who aren't sensitive to racial stereotypes?

Personally I get offended if its done poorly and its really generic, even sometimes when its not one of the groups I'm a part of being made fun of. And when its really over the top it can seriously hurt the film. For instance, I absolutely love Breakfast at Tiffany's but Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi is really cringe worthy and holds the film back time. You can't tell me you don't at least cringe a little watching this shit.

Everything else, every other second of the film not featuring him, is pretty much timeless and amazing. But this one character is like a ball and chain on the film, dating the hell out of it.

I think people are talking about multiple different things in this thread.

Some people are saying you should be able to laugh at yourself. Of course, and that applies to laughable stereotypes.

But stereotypes can go far beyond that, and historically (recent history) have been used to dehumanize and oppress people. Those stereotypes are different obviously, they are used for entirely different purposes. I think it takes a certain amount of intentional ignorance to not recognize the difference between damaging and non-damaging stereotypes.

Personally I get offended if its done poorly and its really generic, even sometimes when its not one of the groups I'm a part of being made fun of. And when its really over the top it can seriously hurt the film. For instance, I absolutely love Breakfast at Tiffany's but Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi is really cringe worthy and holds the film back time. You can't tell me you don't at least cringe a little watching this shit.

Everything else, every other second of the film not featuring him, is pretty much timeless and amazing. But this one character is like a ball and chain on the film, dating the hell out of it.

Yea I don’t know if it’s the writer ( which I think it was ) or him but they could cut his part and it would be great.

Most all stereotypes (racial or otherwise) have a grain of truth to them whether they're offensive or not, so I don't see a problem.
Yeah, dawg, I'm going to have go with no on this one.

Really old racial stereotypes fell out of disuse because they were mean-spirited and full of shit. (aka the black watermelon thief in old movies, and the evil gold coin-loving jew with the really long nose). These were just made by people who wanted to feel superior.

Also, a stupid stereotype is the lazy Mexican. If you live near or around Mexicans, that shit is pretty laughable.

There are ones that poke fun in a friendly manner which are usually fine. Just don't try and tie someone you don't know to a stereotype, that is bound to piss people off.

Yeah, dawg, I'm going to have go with no on this one.

Really old racial stereotypes fell out of disuse because they were mean-spirited and full of shit. (aka the black watermelon thief in old movies, and the evil gold coin-loving jew with the really long nose). These were just made by people who wanted to feel superior.

Also, a stupid stereotype is the lazy Mexican. If you live near or around Mexicans, that shit is pretty laughable.

There are ones that poke fun in a friendly manner which are usually fine. Just don't try and tie someone you don't know to a stereotype, that is bound to piss people off.

I said "most all." You named only three that you disagreed with (two of which I've never even heard of before.) Try again.

I think it takes a certain amount of intentional ignorance to not recognize the difference between damaging and non-damaging stereotypes.

None more guilty of that than the PC advocates. I love a good racial joke and dislike mean-spiritedness. Some folks need to not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Yea I don’t know if it’s the writer ( which I think it was ) or him but they could cut his part and it would be great.
I still think its great and worth a watch but when you watch it you can't help but wish the writer and director had more foresight and were a little more forward thinking. I think pretty much all of us can admit that case is pretty inappropriate.

I could give two shits, call me a Guini, call me a whop, call me whatever you want, just don’t call me late for dinner....Seriously, I don’t give a shit, nothing like that phases me in the least..
Surely you can’t be serious.

I said "most all." You named only three that you disagreed with (two of which I've never even heard of before.) Try again.
I assure you they exist, and there are tons.
3871b8a88767a583a80e26af517f28f2.jpg

https://m.charlesdickenspage.com/characters/:eek::eek::eek:in-cruikshank.jpg

washer.jpg

11683096-large.jpg

when-america-despised-the-irish-the-19th-centurys-refugee-crisiss-featured-photo.jpg

Like others have said, it's pretty easy to distinguish stereotypes that would be considered off limits. Well, if you have any sense it is.

I don't know about "vilify" but most of the outrage these days is virtue signalling crap or people selling something.

Back