Is it disrespectful/bad to train at 2 different schools at the same time?

UltimaMMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I recently moved and got a job across town. I work 3-4 days out the week. I found 2 different places to train BJJ. One school is 15 mins from work and 30 mins from home and the other is 20 mins from both. The close to work school has class everyday except on Thursdays. The other school has class on Mondays, Thursdays, Sat and Sun. The close to work instructor is a brown belt and the other instructor is a purple but teaches good. I'm thinking of going to the one closer to work after work and the 20 min one on the days I'm off. I can basically go twice a week to both schools. How bad would it be for me to go to both? The instructors know each other and recommend each other highly, but I didn't tell them that I've been secretly visiting both schools. What would happen when a competition approaches? Should I pick one or go to both?

Just make your instructors aware of your situation. Tell them you'd like like to train at both places, see if they're cool with it. Hiding stuff like this will just make you enemies in the long run, imo.

It doesn't matter if you train in more then one school. I know plenty of guys that do and it's not a big deal. You don't have to tell your instructer that you train in two schools but if the topic comes up then you don't have hide it.

You should talk to both instructors. As long as you pay both I don't think that there will be any problem. On the other hand if you don't tell them it's possible that later they refuse both to train you.

You guys are crazy. Its your money. train where you want to. if they dont want to train you then they get no money.

Its your money... but... imagine if you want to go to competition wich school are you going to represent??? One of your instructors may don't like your decision by going with the other school to compete. If you are just going to train and have fun and exercise it isn't going to be a problem, but going in competition it may cause problems... the schools that you are training are close to each other... too close...

if the teachers are recommend there shouldnt be any problem, i guess...

Your training comes first and as long as the club hasn

imo you are paying them for their services so it shouldn't really matter. I would think more about how to tell one that you will be fighting under name of club. It might be easier to just go to the one you want to fight under for a while and then tell him you are going to participate at the other club occaisionally to learn more and cause it's closer. I can't see it being a problem though. A Ronin:)

When in doubt, ask the instructors and respect their wishes.

In the end it should be your decision. All this "trust your sensei to the death" should disapear with the rise of mma. Seriously.

The more you train the better you get, it aint harder than that. The only problem I see is competition and you should be able to avoid that with some common sense.

I don't think it is a problem, just realize that the same techniques may be tought differently at each school and remeber not to correct them and just do what they say.

The way I see it you shold tell both instructors bout it. However, if they have a problem with it, they're stupid. My old instructor even encouraged me to train under people who had disrespected him greatly. He said that, allthoug he didn't like the guy, it was worth the time to train with him and see his approach to grappling. It really saddens me to see how much politics there can be in ma sometimes.

It is bjj so that might be diferent. Just ask the instructors. I am doing judo now and we have had a lot of lectures about lyalty to the master. He has told a story twice now about a Japanese master who threw his best student in a lake when he found out he competed without permision, and the student stayed in the lake for 8 days until he was forgivn. Our sensie tells us that if some big shot famous judoka comes to town and we want to go see him, w cannot without permision. Training else where, competing without his permision or seeing other instructors is all prohibitted and we will be banned from the team if we do them. A couple guys already got kicked out. Teaching judo is his only joba nd goes around and visits the other acadmies when he not teaching to make sure he doesn't see any of us there.

its your choice unless it cuases bad feeling between the two, let them know dont hide it, and if you compete it is going to be the decision you make as to whim to compete for, then it may become a small problem between the two

muerteverde said:
It is bjj so that might be diferent. Just ask the instructors. I am doing judo now and we have had a lot of lectures about lyalty to the master. He has told a story twice now about a Japanese master who threw his best student in a lake when he found out he competed without permision, and the student stayed in the lake for 8 days until he was forgivn. Our sensie tells us that if some big shot famous judoka comes to town and we want to go see him, w cannot without permision. Training else where, competing without his permision or seeing other instructors is all prohibitted and we will be banned from the team if we do them. A couple guys already got kicked out. Teaching judo is his only joba nd goes around and visits the other acadmies when he not teaching to make sure he doesn't see any of us there.
Now, that's what I don't like about TMA. BS like spending 8 days in a lake... And being loyal to a master... etc. What's this, slavery?

IM currently doing the same thing..Let both of my instructors know and it was no problem..Im traing MMA at San Diego Fight Club and BJJ under Fabio Santos(Fifth Degree under Rickson Gracie) for strictly BJJ...but let them know so theres no disrespect percieved

ARIS said:
Its your money... but... imagine if you want to go to competition wich school are you going to represent??? One of your instructors may don't like your decision by going with the other school to compete. If you are just going to train and have fun and exercise it isn't going to be a problem, but going in competition it may cause problems... the schools that you are training are close to each other... too close...

Hey when I compete, I represent myself..... the school of Rex Kwon DO!

Back